Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Breakfast Ideas (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Breakfast Casserole (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=136750)

geo53562 Fri, Sep-12-03 11:14

Breakfast Casserole

We found a tasty recipe to make a breakfast casserole that uses no bread fillers. I think the original recipe would be just fine for Induction:

Breakfast Casserole

Ingredients:

1 2.5" onion (chopped)
1 8oz can sliced mushrooms (drained)
1 pound Jimmy Dean Pork Sausage
1 pint Land 'o Lakes Whipping Cream
2 cups Shredded Cheese
10 jumbo Eggs
Vegetable Spray
Salt
Pepper
Cayenne Pepper

Directions:

Chop medium onion (8.7 carbs) and add to 8 oz. can of drained mushrooms (2-4 carbs).....saute in butter in the microwave or on the stovetop until soft...set aside.

Whip up a mixture of 8-10 eggs (4.8-6 carbs) and 1 pint whipping creme (13-16 carbs), salt and pepper...set aside.

Brown in frying pan 1 lb. package bulk Jimmy Dean (or any brand pure meat) sausage until pink is gone.

Spray 9x13 pan with pam or other spray.....pour in thin layer of egg mixture.......cover with sausage mixture.....sprinkle with sauteed mushrooms and onions...cover with 2 cups shredded cheese (I've usually used Colby-Jack, but Kraft or Sargento Taco Blends are tasty, too)...pour egg mixture evenly over top...bake at 350 until brown...(times can vary by oven...ours takes 20-25 minutes.)

Cut into squares as needed and re-heat in microwave...makes breakfast for several mornings. Can also be individually "baggied" and stored in freezer for up to a couple of weeks for handy use!

=======================================================
Basic Recipe Net Carb Count:

2.5" Onion=8.7c Net
1 lb. Bulk Sausage=0c Net
8 oz Canned Mushrooms=4c Net (varies by brand)
10 Jumbo Eggs=6c NET
1 pint (16 oz.) Whipping ("Heavy") Cream=16c Total (varies by brand)
2 cups Shredded Cheese=4.3c Total (varies by brand)
37.3c Net for recipe as written

3" x 4.3" portion=4.15c Net Carbs ea.
3" x 3" portions=3.1 Net Carbs ea.

(these are conservative averages...check the actual carb counts for the ingredients you use.)
=================================

Variations:

Use a White Sauce as replacement for some Whipping Cream ("Heavy Cream")
Add chopped Red & Green Bell Peppers to sauteed Mushrooms & Onions (reduce Onions?)
Add crumbled Bacon for more variety
Top with Pimentos & sliced Black Olives for color
Top Square w/1 tsp. LC Salsa for serving
(don't forget to add/modify carbs for ingredient variations)

Enjoy!

windy Mon, Sep-15-03 20:12

Hey Geo, I am definitely going to try that recipe. We will be going to Duck, NC in 18 days for our sons wedding at Kill Devil Hills and this would be a great breakfast one morning. They would not even know that it is lc.

I will have to let you know how it turns out for me.
Thanks again,
Windy

ALEKA Fri, Sep-19-03 22:10

I still think that this is one of the best recipes I have made since starting low carb. Hubbie agree!! Alice

geo53562 Fri, Sep-19-03 23:10

Hi Alice--

Well, it sure is one of the easier and most versatile LC dishes I've found. Kinda puts some of the convenience-food spirit back into LC, with no sacrifice in flavor. I wanted to go with a spicey SouthWest version next, but I think my wife hid my best (extra hot) peppers...again!:nono:

I'm also looking forward to hearing how it goes over with Windy's non-LC family. I actually prefer this to our old (pre-LC) breakfast favorite, which was made with croutons and cream of mushroom soup.

alaskaman Sat, Sep-20-03 00:13

That sounds SO good. I admire all you folks who do these neat recipes. I am in such a rut, I am ashamed, my bit of meat, buttered green veg, my scrambled eggs and bacon, I really don't yet NEED anything more, but worry that when I write the same old same old in my journal, people will sniff and say "what a boring old poop." So, must try a few of these, and this one sounds like a natural for the monthly men's breakfast at my church. Bill

ALEKA Sat, Sep-20-03 08:52

No matter how I make it George--It turns out great. It actually tastes like real food.!!!!!! We really enjoy this recipe immensly. Alice

mlsbkp Tue, Sep-23-03 10:00

This was really great!! My family enjoyed...

Luminette Wed, Oct-15-03 21:36

I made this the other night and have been reheating it the last two mornings. Yum is it ever good. Just when I thought I'd die if I had to eat another hard-boiled egg for breakfast (I just can't get up and moving enough to cook an egg meal every morning before I leave for work and usually don't like re-heated eggs, but this is delicious re-heated). Thanks so much for the suggestion! I will be making this again.

golflady59 Thu, Dec-25-03 10:16

Oh my gosh. I made this Christmas morning and it was to die for. I used ham instead and cheese, as my family doesn't like all the other stuff and we all loved it. Wish there was some left over to freeze. Will make this again. It is the bombdigety:)

mem2 Thu, Dec-25-03 10:23

I will try this recipe substituting soy sausage for the Jimmy Dean and Tofu for the eggs, because I am lacto vegetarian. Wonder if it will work?

Iowagirl Thu, Feb-05-09 08:01

Gotta bump this one!

I'm going to make this with ham (don't care for breakfast sausage). Thanks!

Iowagirl Fri, Feb-06-09 11:41

YUM!!!! Next time I'm going to try ground Italian sausage or chorizo.

Hairballz Tue, Feb-17-09 09:56

I bought "Pour-a-Quiche" at Publix this weekend and made it for my breakfasts. It bought the 4 cheese one, supplemented it with some crumbled up ground beef and bacon. YUMMY. Breakfast for Lazy People! LOL! My kinda' breakfast. The Pour-a-Quiche has 4 grams carb per serving, definitely do-able for me. I used a 4 carb wrap as a bottom crust, which overall added less than 1 carb per serving.

Goldenone Sun, Jul-10-11 08:54

Great recipe

Great recipe. I did add diced jalapeno which spiced it up. Also had to cook it a lot longer than 25 minutes. Definitely a keeper!

Laika Tue, Feb-21-12 09:13

This is a great recipe. Made enough to last me a week (I thought). I have 4 sons, and unfortunately, they are eating it all. Time to make another batch.