Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Main dishes (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Deep Dish Pizza Quiche (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=44087)

missymagoo Fri, Mar-02-07 06:28

this is a truly great dish. sue

wannadanc Fri, Mar-02-07 13:24

This is so very good ...... and the leftovers are awesome.

The bottom cooks just right (in glass pan) so that you actually could pick up a piece to eat it - if that is part of the pizza thing for you.

:agree:

lpioch Wed, Mar-14-07 18:30

I've tried this one twice (and will again this week!). It worked on the WHOLE FAMILY! (i.e..hubby, 7, 5, and 3 yr old!).
None of my children will have anything to do with an egg (the 5 year old might once and awhile). My husband almost blew the whistle asking "What's the 'crust' made of? Egg?"
I can't lie. I just gave him the SHUT UP! eye and said "Egg? What a silly thing to make a crust out of!" They boys are "eeewwww"ing all over the place. Then they take the next bite and its gone in minutes.

Thanks so much for this recipe!

Annie1gi Sun, Mar-18-07 08:36

Finally tried this and it is delish! Of course the old man wouldn't touch this.....picky picky!

seesah Mon, Mar-19-07 19:42

Made this over the weekend, but I made Lasagna quiche. Made the base, then put the meat & sauce on top, then the layer of ricotta mixture, mozzarella & provolone, then topped with parmesan cheese, it was delish!!!!! :yum:

Nordicat Sat, May-19-07 10:24

Quiche wonder

I am a lurker of many, many years to this and a few other LC forums! I rarely post only because I am so busy reading all the time.

I had to reply to this post because I tried the quiche tonight and it was absolutely fantastic!! My skinny, non-dieting husband just loved it too. The only thing I did differently was to add 1 T. flour and 1 t. baking powder to the egg mixture. I had heard that this would make it a bit more "crust-like".

First I layed 9 slices of hard salami in the 9 x 13 glass dish, covered it with the cheese and then proceeded as the recipes suggested. We found that nearer the end of the meal....when it was still warm but more firm in texture....it was even better than after the first 5-10 minutes. I'm sure it's wonderful without the flour, b. powder and salami but I just wanted to try it.

Thanks for this great addition to my Atkins meals. I am within 10 lbs of my goal and need to be careful. At the same time, I needed to have something that tasted "sinful" and off plan! This did the trick. I'd love it even if I wasn't watching my weight!!

houlegan Thu, May-31-07 10:26

I made this dish last evening and thought I'd put some in my lunch for today....OH BOY OH BOY OH BOY...it is absolutely delicious.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting it!!!!

bafmrf Thu, Jun-28-07 16:55

Ok. I made this for the second time this week and cut down to three eggs and added pepperoni to the base. It is much better for me but what would happen if I only use two eggs. I have a hard time eating anymore eggs. It is starting to make me gag.

scthgharpy Mon, Jul-23-07 09:52

Deep dish pizza quiche

Whomever invented this recipe, I offer my firstborn in gratitude. (ok, my firstborn stepchild, I like Mine). I usually have awful luck with LC recipes, but this came out very, very good. Im impressed by the quiche "crust" because cold, the next day, it had very much the texture of real pizza! The cheese on the bottom of the pan gets all crusty and hard, and the little spongey-ness you get from the hardcooked egg is easily dismissed by the rest of the flavors.

oh my yes. this will be a weekly staple in my house. I made a double batch of regular pizza crust and threw it in the freezer, the kids like to make their own custom mini pizzas. And now I can have mine! Im already thinking of ways to use the leftover salmon and carmelized onions, oh the gourmet pizzas I shall make...

serrelind Mon, Jul-23-07 10:16

I love that recipe too! :yum:

dcgoodin Mon, Jul-23-07 11:51

I don't have the greatest luck with the low carb recipes either, so maybe I should give this one a try then. :thup: I've ruined "rev rolls" twice :o

ElleH Mon, Jul-23-07 13:16

Well, rev rolls do require patience and anything can throw them "off" so don't let that stop you from trying new things.

I really need to try that dish I guess. I never have, b/c it just seems like too much cheese to be eating at once and a sodium nightmare! But everyone raves about it. But I guess looking at the ingredients, I guess if you make 8 servings, it's not too bad. Just looking at all that cheese makes me retain water. I make a pizza frittatta that I love that satisfies my need for pizza without a boatload of cheese or sodium.

vixen69 Tue, Jul-24-07 07:48

This is my all time favorite low carb dish. Even my mom loves it and she doesn't watch her carbs.

wannadanc Tue, Jul-24-07 10:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixen69
This is my all time favorite low carb dish. Even my mom loves it and she doesn't watch her carbs.

I totally agree - and it is a wonderful LC company food - even for folks who aren't into LC!!!!!!!

JessDMB41 Sat, Sep-01-07 18:47

Wow... I made this tonight and it was FANTASTIC. Thanks to Donald for posting it. My fiance and I both loved it and have some leftover for tomorrow... best low carb thing I've ever made, and definitely what I needed to satisfy my worst craving - pizza.

Thank you thank you thank you!

Will be making this weekly for sure :)