Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Best Of (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Why the SCALE CAN LIE (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=365499)

ardentluma Tue, Jul-15-08 08:36

What a great article! This should be posted as a sticky for all new comers.

Wolflady Wed, Jul-30-08 12:17

Thanks for posting this article. :thup:
Ive always heard about the waterweight and such, but now I understand it ;)

:wave:

cricket56 Sat, Aug-02-08 09:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolflady
Thanks for posting this article. :thup:
Ive always heard about the waterweight and such, but now I understand it ;)

:wave:

very welcome. It does explain so many things and once that happend for me, I could go on and not obcess or worry about the wt fluxes.

Hairballz Mon, Aug-04-08 08:22

Great read and very helpful to me today. I know from my clothes and the mirror that I've lost SOMETHING, but the scale begs to differ with me. Crummy scale - I should drop kick it out of my life! :D

2bflawless Fri, Aug-08-08 14:15

Bump worthy!

cricket56 Sun, Aug-10-08 04:45

hi folks. I have a pile of scales outside my bathroom window, so I too, know what you mean.Too bad there isn't a thread for READ BEFORE YOU GO ANYPLACE ELSE!
It helps me keep going when the scale doesn't budge but them I have to remind myself that the scale and weight loss isn't the real focus for me. I am getting healthy and the weight loss is a wonderful side effect. I used to think that I lost weight so THEN I got healthy but this new mindset is more helpful and casues less frustration.Health first and all the rest will follow is due time. The body has its own time schedule.

FatFreeMe Mon, Aug-18-08 10:58

I found this link on another thread. "why we sometimes lose inches and not weight" thought i'd add it in here too. Hope it helps someone out, sometime.

http://carbsmart.stores.yahoo.net/outout.html

feelskinny Wed, Aug-20-08 13:17

Very good read Jody; BTW...HI!!

cricket56 Thu, Aug-21-08 20:00

Hi Jody :) NIce article that states what we know and see happens! It is always great to be validated.
Thanks for offering it here. I appreciate all the info and support I can get. There is a site for Lowcarber that has an article called the Golden Shot or something like that. Explains why we do not lose as well on return visits to low carb land. I will try to find it and post it here as well.

cricket56 Thu, Aug-21-08 20:14

lowcarbluxury.com[I] has the topic Golden Shot in the features article area. It has copyrighted warning so I did not C&P but would highly recommend reading this. Answers a lot of questions for so many.

Eliza_Jazz Thu, Feb-26-09 19:06

I weigh daily

I weigh myself at the same time in the morning every day and average the weight for the week.

I bought this great scale at Walmart that measures weight (to the nearest 0.2 lb., which, in itself, has been very helpful), body fat, BMI, bone density, and hydration level/water content in the body.

My water content (as measured by the scale) varies a lot each day even though I drink about the same amount (8-9 glasses) daily.

Life4me Wed, Jul-08-09 16:48

I have this same scale - but I don't understand how to work it, or what it's telling me. It knows my height, because my dh set it up, and I'm pretty happy with it's accuracy, which was most important to me. I wondered about the water #s...

As for understanding why the scale lies, I'm still not completely clear, but I'll re-read a few times. What I did understand was great - enlightening! Thanks! Will also pass along to my df who is eating clean and working out but not seeing the numbers move.

cricket56 Tue, Sep-08-09 15:27

been away and had to re read my own article! I also have the 0.2 increments and also at Wallyworld. Don't see the any info other than weight which is enoug as a guide for me. The clothes are the biggest guide and will be the ultimate end. Since I am top heavy the weight isn't the goal, but the daily weight helps keep me honest. When I do not weight daily I slip fast and I stay off when I have rought times... burrying my head in a beach of sand!

ellejaysea Thu, Sep-24-09 05:50

This is a wonderful article. I wish I could needlepoint it on a cushion 8-). Seriously tho, I am going to print it out and keep it close to my scale.

Thank you.

cricket56 Fri, Sep-25-09 11:56

my hubby has finally gone on LC.Took a very big health scare to do that. He has about 30# to lose.I know I will be giving him this article as well.Sometimes just knowing the reasons "why" is enough to get us through!