Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Salads Veggies & Side Dishes (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Cauliflower Tots (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=466493)

lkelley36 Tue, Mar-24-15 09:28

Cauliflower Tots

This looks awesome!!! Haven't done a count on the carbs.... Someone in the comments section recommended stuffing this in mushrooms!!!! :agree:
Link below with pic....

Cauliflower Tots

Print
Prep time
10 mins
Cook time
20 mins
Total time
30 mins

Author: Cavewoman
Ingredients
1 Cauliflower - Chopped to Fine breadcrumbs
½ Onion - Grated or Chopped
5-10 Peeled Garlic Cloves
1 Egg
10 oz Cheddar Cheese - Grated
1 tsp Mustard - Dijon is best
Fresh Cilantro - Optional
Shake of Paprika - Optional
Freshly Ground Sea salt and Black Pepper
Instructions
In a food processor, make the cauliflower into breadcrumbs. add the garlic at the same time so you don't have to use a garlic crush. You can also chop or grate.
Stir cauliflower and garlic mix into remaining ingredients in a bowl and spoon into a well oiled muffin tin.
Bake at 400F for 15-20 minutes until browned.

http://www.goingcavewoman.com/cauliflower-bites

lkelley36 Tue, Mar-24-15 09:47

After looking the ingredients up....not including the scant amounts for cilantro and paprika.... carbs look like this...on added 5 for garlic...so as to keep it to 5 cloves, and I added 1 for an egg... which I never have counted.... of course this is based on the size of the cauliflower...this is for a medium head.

1 Cauliflower - Chopped to Fine breadcrumbs - net 17
½ Onion - Grated or Chopped - net 4
5-10 Peeled Garlic Cloves - net 5
1 Egg –net 1
10 oz Cheddar Cheese – Grated – net 5
1 tsp Mustard - Dijon is best
Fresh Cilantro - Optional
Shake of Paprika - Optional
Freshly Ground Sea salt and Black Pepper

argee Tue, Mar-24-15 10:19

Now I know what I'll be doing with the cauliflower I bought. Maybe tomorrow for dinner.

lkelley36 Wed, Mar-25-15 07:23

I am looking forward to trying this. I am just wondering how many it makes. The picture looks like it makes quite a few. Need some mini muffin pans!!! :)

argee Wed, Mar-25-15 09:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by argee
Maybe tomorrow for dinner.

Definitely today. :)

lkelley36 Wed, Mar-25-15 11:36

Quote:
Definitely today. :)

:cheer: Let me know how it goes!!! I am taking my son out. He is moving for a new job Friday.... (:....but very happy for him!!!

WereBear Wed, Mar-25-15 15:32

This looks yummy. Thanks for sharing!

argee Wed, Mar-25-15 21:31

Well, they were...

terrible! But it was the cook's fault, not the recipe's. I forgot to start the timer when they went into the oven, and then lost track of time. Amazing how much damage an extra 45 minutes can do!

:o :lol:

I'll try again after my next grocery shopping excursion.

WereBear Thu, Mar-26-15 05:35

Quote:
Well, they were...

terrible! But it was the cook's fault, not the recipe's. I forgot to start the timer when they went into the oven, and then lost track of time. Amazing how much damage an extra 45 minutes can do!

So I guess cauliflower jerky is not a good idea? :lol: :lol: :lol:

lkelley36 Thu, Mar-26-15 07:21

Quote:
Well, they were...

:lol: lolol!!! Yeah I guess 45 minutes is a long time for some baby cauliflower muffins!!! I am gonna try this weekend....we will see!!!

Whited Thu, Mar-26-15 12:21

Ok I made this last night. I was really looking forward to this as so many of my favorite flavors were in it -- fresh cilantro, garlic, cheese, paprika. I had this as a side dish with chicken and didn't really care for it that way. The flavors were too bold and mine turned out a little mushy. But here's what I did with the leftovers. I fried it (the already baked dish) with sausage and eggs and added a few hot peppers and some more cilanto and it wasn't bad at all. It will really fry up nice.

Thanks for posting.

lkelley36 Thu, Mar-26-15 13:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whited
Ok I made this last night. I was really looking forward to this as so many of my favorite flavors were in it -- fresh cilantro, garlic, cheese, paprika. I had this as a side dish with chicken and didn't really care for it that way. The flavors were too bold and mine turned out a little mushy. But here's what I did with the leftovers. I fried it (the already baked dish) with sausage and eggs and added a few hot peppers and some more cilanto and it wasn't bad at all. It will really fry up nice.

Thanks for posting.

I was soooo hoping for yumminess!!! lol!! Would different spices have worked? Soooo you fried it and then made the eggs and sausage? Like in a little oil or butter?

argee Thu, Mar-26-15 13:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whited
...added a few hot peppers and some more cilanto ...

It was too bold, so you added peppers and more cilantro?

Whited Thu, Mar-26-15 19:33

Go ahead and try it like it is -- your tastes might be different than mine. Like most of you I find it really fun to try new low carb dishes. Thanks again to the original poster -- keep the new ideas coming!

It was too bold (for me anyway) as a "stand alone" side dish with fried chicken. The cauliflower taste was a bit strong to me. It also was kind of mushy (unless I did it wrong). Actually as the original poster stated it might be just right as a stuffing for mushrooms -- I might try that.

I figured though that sausage and peppers would accent the flavor which it did. Yes, I usually fry in olive oil or butter (or coconut oil). I just fried it with the eggs and sausage -- be careful not to let it burn.

When I pan fried the dish the next day it made it nice and brown and the sausage especially goes well with the flavors.

Like I said I mixed it with scrambled eggs, more fresh cilantro, Williams low sugar sausage, some hot peppers for zing and an avacado on the side. Made a nice hearty and quite filling breakfast dish.

sexym2 Fri, Mar-27-15 06:18

I made it last night and made some tweaks, Instead of 1 egg, I put 3 eggs in it and instead of 10 out of cheese I put 8 oz in. Everything else went in the same, but i did bake them in a mini muffin pan and they were over cooked in that small of a pan. Less time in the over would have been fine. The rest I made in a normal sized muffin tin and they turned out very good.