Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Breakfast Ideas (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   The Best Pancakes, Waffles, & Basic Muffin Recipe (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=428704)

2007 Sat, May-28-11 13:18

The Best Pancakes, Waffles, & Basic Muffin Recipe

This is my favorite basic recipe. It will make two medium size pancakes, or 2 waffles or one super large muffin or two small ones. You can adds nuts or fruits or whatever to it if your plan allows. for induction stage simply do not add the carbquik, but as is...it's pretty bomb & only 3 carbs and can be less if you only do 1 tbls of heavy cream & 2 tbls of water instead or heck you can bypass the heavy cream altogether & just use 3 tbls of water! :lol:

1/8 cup (2 tbls) Bob Mill's Golden Flax Meal/Flour
1 tbls Carbquik (optional)
1 pkg splenda
1 capful of pure vanilla extract (optional)
1/2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice
1 tbls of Torani SF Almond Roca or your favorite Torani or Davinci SF Syrup
1 tsp of vegtable oil
2 tbls of heavy cream (optional)
1 tbls of water
1 egg

mix all dry ingredients together then add egg & remaining ingredients. for pancakes heat a nonstick pan or spray with nonstick spray and cook pancakes 2 min each side until dark golden brown.

for the topping i get two tablespoons of butter & 1 tablespoon of my favorite SF LC syrup & heat in microwave for 30 seconds then pour on top of pancakes or waffles or sometimes i just put whipped cream cheese on top. :yum:

justconnie Wed, Jun-01-11 21:18

cant wait to try these, thank you so much for sharing. Breakfast is probably the meal I struggle with the most.

2007 Wed, Jun-01-11 21:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by justconnie
cant wait to try these, thank you so much for sharing. Breakfast is probably the meal I struggle with the most.

yeah...i sruggle with breakfast too. let me know how you like it. also, if you choose to opt out of using heavy cream and just use water then i would suggest cooking for a min & half longer on each side, otherwise, you will have wetcakes instead of pancakes. ;)

amy411 Tue, Jun-07-11 14:19

shut the front door...... these are the bomb!!!!! ty 2007!!! i didn't use the carbquick because i didn't have any, but they were still most awesome!!! i want to make muffins, but was wondering how they would fluff up without the carbquick...i'm thinking i should add a dab of baking powder??? can i cook the muffins in the microwave??? watcha think? thanks :)

2007 Tue, Jun-07-11 20:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy411
shut the front door...... these are the bomb!!!!! ty 2007!!! i didn't use the carbquick because i didn't have any, but they were still most awesome!!! i want to make muffins, but was wondering how they would fluff up without the carbquick...i'm thinking i should add a dab of baking powder??? can i cook the muffins in the microwave??? watcha think? thanks :)

i thought you might like these. :lol:

you can also swap out the vegitable oil for butter too. that's also really good. :yum:

yeah, i would advise adding some baking powder if you have no carbquik on hand. sometimes i skip the carbquik too & just use the golden ground flax. oh yeah...almost forgot, you can do the muffins in the microwave. no problem. :thup:

i totally love them. i've been eating them everyday for at least the past 3 weeks. :lol: i just restocked today on some more golden ground flax & got some LC SF Mrs. Butterworths syrup. Man! I'm in heaven. :p

Enjoy! :yum:

amy411 Wed, Jun-08-11 07:47

thanks for the advice!! i love that its a single serving recipe too .... i know myself too well if i made more... LOL!

i will add the baking powder when i make them again!

thanks again!!!

ImOnMyWay Thu, Jul-28-11 14:10

These were good! I used Bob's Red Mill Baking Mix & carbquik; added some blueberries & whipped cream! Yum....

Thanks, 2007!

algts Thu, Jul-28-11 17:26

Does it really make good waffles? I have been in search of a recipe for waffles, and have not been completely pleased. Pancakes seem to turn out better for me.

ImOnMyWay Thu, Jul-28-11 19:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by algts
Does it really make good waffles? I have been in search of a recipe for waffles, and have not been completely pleased. Pancakes seem to turn out better for me.

Don't know; I don't have a waffle iron. I made these as pancakes. Aren't waffle and pancake batter the same thing?

2007 Thu, Jul-28-11 20:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by algts

It makes great waffles! I make them in my waffle iron just about everyday. :lol:

2007 Thu, Jul-28-11 20:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnMyWay
These were good! I used Bob's Red Mill Baking Mix & carbquik; added some blueberries & whipped cream! Yum....

Thanks, 2007!

Sounds yummy to me. You can never go wrong with blueberries & whipped cream. :lol:

I've never tried Bob's Baking Mix. Maybe on my next trip I'll give it a try depending on the carb count. Do you know what the net carbs are for this product?

Thanks. :D

algts Fri, Jul-29-11 07:44

Thank you! I like to have waffles for a change from pancakes or when my family has their higher-carb waffles.

ImOnMyWay Fri, Jul-29-11 13:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007
Sounds yummy to me. You can never go wrong with blueberries & whipped cream. :lol:

I've never tried Bob's Baking Mix. Maybe on my next trip I'll give it a try depending on the carb count. Do you know what the net carbs are for this product?

Thanks. :D

6g net carbs per quarter cup dry mix. Here is the nutritional info:

http://www.bobsredmill.com/low-carb-baking-mix.html

I made muffins with this mix and while they were good, I think I like your idea of mixing in some Carbquik; this makes a lighter muffin than all Bob's mix, and much better flavor than Carbquik alone.

2007 Tue, Aug-21-12 14:09

bump...just 'cause this is a good basic recipe for those that don't know...now u know. :thup: ;)

ImOnMyWay Fri, Mar-08-13 10:26

Had these again today...very good. I made them with flaxseed and 1 T of Bob's Redmill LC Bake Mix. thought it worth bumping!