Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Bread & Baked Goods (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Coconut Flour Cheddar Biscuits (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=455891)

ImOnMyWay Thu, Oct-10-13 12:17

Coconut Flour Cheddar Biscuits

I could've sworn that this is a recipe that Buittoni posted here, but I can't find her thread. Maybe it's somewhere in her journal?

Anyway, this recipe makes a very tasty, gluten-free, drop biscuit. They are small (about 2" in diameter) but very rich due to the cheese and butter, and very filling besides due to the fiber. mine did not "spread" or rise, like a drop cookie would, even though I was using fresh baking powder. Still, quite satisfactory. you don't need to put anything on them, and they would be a great addition to a salad or soup meal. I did add 1/4 tsp garlic powder to the recipe.

http://heavenlyhomemakers.com/cocon...r-drop-biscuits

I will amend this post once I've figured out the nutritional content, but they are very low per biscuit. The main source of carbs is the coconut flour, which is 3 net carbs per 14g serving, according to the package.

I had three of these with coffee for breakfast, just under one third of the recipe, and nothing else.

locarbbarb Thu, Oct-10-13 13:09

Thanks for the link! Gonna try them for lunch today, with some protein powder drink on the side. ;)

edited to add:

OK, they are out of the oven and look GREAT! Mine did smooth out and spread a little.

I figured, from the ingredients I used, and made 10:

They are 1 g carb and 109 cal each.

ImOnMyWay Thu, Oct-10-13 16:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by locarbbarb
Thanks for the link! Gonna try them for lunch today, with some protein powder drink on the side. ;)

edited to add:

OK, they are out of the oven and look GREAT! Mine did smooth out and spread a little.

I figured, from the ingredients I used, and made 10:

They are 1 g carb and 109 cal each.

Wow, that low, really?!

Did you like them? I thought them tastier (and not so heavy) as flax-seed bread.

locarbbarb Thu, Oct-10-13 16:40

I did like them! They were heartier than reg flour biscuits, and good flavor. Very
satisfying! I added the garlic, as well.

I couldn't believe how low the numbers were either! I recalculated it 3 times just to be sure!

ImOnMyWay Thu, Oct-10-13 21:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by locarbbarb
I did like them! They were heartier than reg flour biscuits, and good flavor. Very
satisfying! I added the garlic, as well.

I couldn't believe how low the numbers were either! I recalculated it 3 times just to be sure!

Wow, oh wow! I think I'm going to mess with these somehow to make a non-dairy biscuit variation. Just need something to sub for the cheese... Maybe some riced, cooked cauliflower? Yeah, I know,meet another cauliflower recipe... Or wait: maybe 1/2 C puréed soft tofu...

locarbbarb Fri, Oct-11-13 07:43

I was laying in bed at 6:30 this morning and I realized I miscalculated the calories. They are 114 cal. each. Carbs are still correct at 1. Thankfully I was not too far off.
Sorry for any inconvenience. :heart:

dmarie328 Mon, Mar-23-15 12:36

I forgot about these, they are so good and easy. I have some in the oven now. Thank you!

Kristine Fri, Feb-26-16 16:32

These are a stand-by at my house now. :thup: Even my picky SO loves them, and when he first tried them, couldn't identify that they were coconut. He just said there was "something dessert-y" about them.

My variations on the recipe: I usually use 1 Tbsp less of the coconut flour and sub in a Tbsp of ground flax seed. It breaks up the coconut flavour and gives it more of a whole grain kind of taste. I also throw in a pinch of onion powder. Again, helps break up the coconut.

If you expect these to be a fantastic tea biscuit clone that will be delicious eating on their own, you'll probably be disappointed, but they are my favorite bread sub. They're excellent for dipping into soups, stews and runny egg yolks. They hold together really well for making a sandwich. They even survive trips to work in a Ziploc bag in my purse without breaking, yet they're not tough or too crumbly. Possibly the most important thing: they're on that fine threshold of being really, really enjoyable for me without ever being binge-worthy. I find them really filling and satisfying. YMMV.

Tip on the portioning: on no planet will I get 10 biscuits out of this recipe. ;) I make them about the diameter of an English muffin, and I get 4 thin biscuits.

Merpig Fri, Feb-26-16 19:37

Hmm, sounds like something I need to try :D

kirkor Sun, Feb-28-16 10:28

Getting 10 biscuits out of this seems pretty optimistic ... be like calling donut holes donuts :)

phoenix31 Tue, Mar-29-16 13:36

I just tried this recipe today and thought it was the best bread type recipe I've tried yet! The coconut flavor definitely does come through, but they're still delicious, and I will definitely make them regularly.

JAnn Wed, Jul-27-16 08:36

I've saved the recipe and the options from comments and will bake and freeze them to go with soup this fall.

Bonnie OFS Wed, Jul-27-16 10:38

I've saved the recipe, too. I've gotten to the point where I think I can eat just a couple of these & not pig out. I miss my old-fashioned baking powder biscuits - especially when I make stew or soup. Maybe this will fill that void.

mviesprite Sun, Sep-25-16 09:34

I have to chime in here, I love the old fashioned baking powder biscuits too - I am trying a cauliflower biscuit recipe this morning to go with sausage gravy... I will definitely try this one at some point too - sounds like to get about 8-10 you have to double the recipe..

Thanks Kristine for the tips! Like oopsies, these may become a staple. I found oopsies great for subbing for soft bread cubes, as in stratas, or stuffed zucchini, or even "bread pudding" and French toast....
Kat

Bonnie OFS Sun, Sep-25-16 11:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkor
Getting 10 biscuits out of this seems pretty optimistic ... be like calling donut holes donuts :)

I've made them several times and can get only 6 decent sized biscuits out of a batch. They are excellent, but somehow not as "moreish" as regular wheat biscuits. I can actually stop at 2. And they're as good cold as hot.