Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Advanced/High Intensity (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=114)
-   -   cross fit (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=401463)

cathos5 Mon, Sep-14-09 15:41

cross fit

Anyone hear of a method of training called cross fit? It's kind of a whole-body workout that's supposed to be pretty grueling. There's a place offering classes and the workouts not far from here but I'm kind of afraid it will be too intense for me. I consistently work out, but I'm not intense or competitive about it.

On the other hand, I would love to be stronger and in a practical way, not just lifting weights up and down at a gym.

kbfunTH Mon, Sep-14-09 23:53

You should at least go check it out. You won't know until you do. Even if it is too intense for you at first, you can stop at any point.

Dave28 Tue, Sep-15-09 07:57

Have some friends of mine doing cross fit. It sounds like it has different levels based on your weight and fitness level and builds up from there. Probably can start out on a lighter work out.

cathos5 Tue, Sep-15-09 15:45

Okay, good suggestions. Thank you. I have to say it would be fun to try something different, even (maybe especially) if it's harder.

MissLiss84 Mon, Oct-05-09 09:34

Cross fit is the most amazing workout. IMO anyways lol
I started working out about 6 months ago and this is my favorite workout so far. Prior to this i would go for nightly walks but that was about it.

My 1st CrossFit class was really intense. I thought I was going to be ill LOL

I went on the crossfit website and found daily workouts i could do at home and customize to my abilities. Now Im back to taking the class at the gym and aside from the kettlebell class I also take this is my favorite.

It is an intense workout but its well worth it. If you are looking to improve your strength then this is the way to go!

reriverita Wed, Oct-07-09 08:41

I LOVE CrossFit! I own an affiliate in So Cal, and I attend one in Monrovia. It is the most intense, fun, grueling and rewarding strength and conditioning program EVER in my opinion. Yes, it is intense, but all workouts are scaleable to you. Additionally, b/c it's in a group setting, you're more likely to "get the work done" than if you do it alone. And the people are VERY friendly and super supportive.

DoubleyaG Thu, Oct-15-09 10:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathos5
Anyone hear of a method of training called cross fit? It's kind of a whole-body workout that's supposed to be pretty grueling. There's a place offering classes and the workouts not far from here but I'm kind of afraid it will be too intense for me. I consistently work out, but I'm not intense or competitive about it.

On the other hand, I would love to be stronger and in a practical way, not just lifting weights up and down at a gym.

My friend is all about it. Give it a shot! I haven't done it yet though. I'll try it this winter. There are currently no cross fit gyms in my city.