Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Sweet treats (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Coconut bark recipe (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=351493)

Jennay1024 Thu, Oct-11-07 07:45

Coconut bark recipe

I have been looking but cant seem to find the recipe for the coconut bark, made with the coconut oil. Thought I would kill 2 birds with one stone... get my sweet tooth fix and try out coconut oil. Thanks! :)

googoo Thu, Oct-11-07 07:58

This is the one I use, but I put on more sweetener because I don't care for the "dark chocolate" taste.

Original Recipe
4T coconut oil (liquid)
1T cocoa powder (unsweetened)
1 pkt Splenda

Stir well and freeze to set.

My recipe
4T coconut oil (liquid)
1T cocoa powder (unsweetened)
3 pkt Splenda
2T heavy whipping cream

Stir Splenda into cocoa powder.
Add oil and stir well
Add cream and stir very quickly because the cold cream will set up the C. oil (or you can heat the cream a little and it will not cause the C. oil to set up)
Freeze to set up.

I usually eat 1/2 of one per day which gives me 2T CO per day. It's all my calorie allowance can stand.

Carbs counted are in the cocoa powder (2g per T) and 1g for each sweetener pkt you use.

Others may have other recipes.

Jennay1024 Thu, Oct-11-07 08:03

Thanks... how do you get coconut oil into liquid form? I am guessing heating it up? Then add all the other ingriedients, stir and freeze?

googoo Thu, Oct-11-07 08:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennay1024
Thanks... how do you get coconut oil into liquid form? I am guessing heating it up? Then add all the other ingriedients, stir and freeze?

Yes. CO goes into liquid form at anything above 76 degrees F. Just a short zap in the microwave will liquify it, and on hot days, it will liquify all by itself.

Oh, and I almost forgot: be sure to line the bowl you put into the freezer with plastic wrap or you will have a hard time getting it out of the bowl after it freezes. Sometimes I use a styrofoam bowl, then I just cut the whole bowl into two pieces :)

Bat Spit Thu, Oct-11-07 08:51

I make mine using unsweetened baking chocolate. I also add a little salt and vanilla, and sometimes other extracts. The DH is particularly fond of cherry-chocolate.

I bought candy molds at the local craft store. They were about $1 and at holiday times I make large batches (store in the fridge) so we can have legal holiday treats.

tdoty Thu, Oct-11-07 11:36

Ha! I was in the kitchen making some before I even closed this thread! :lol: It's in the freezer now. YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!

mike_d Thu, Oct-11-07 13:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdoty
Ha! I was in the kitchen making some before I even closed this thread! :lol: It's in the freezer now. YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!
Don't eat more than a Tbs of CO to start-- it can cause some GI distress at first :o

I found that out here, after the fact.

RESQ2U Sat, Oct-13-07 21:33

Ok I Gotta Try This ...sounds Good ...thanks

Jones Sun, Oct-14-07 17:59

Don't know if this has already been suggested somewhere else. I mix mine up in a pyrex measuring cup, melting unsweetened chocolate first, then stir in CO and other ingredients. Then I pour it in to paper lined mini muffin tins. It works out to 1 tbs. CO for two "candies" and an easy clean up. I dump all the "candies" into a baggie and store in the freezer.

Scarlet Fri, Jan-11-08 09:35

When you freeze it do you then put it into ice cube trays in the freezer?

Wher do you store it once it's made? The freezer?

How may calories per recipe?

rightnow Fri, Jan-11-08 13:20

I make this, but my recipe has evolved (or mutated :-)) slightly. Now I melt butter till just about boiling in the microwave, and stir in a couple Ghirardelli chocolate squares (instead of cocoa) till melted. I add vanilla, and then melt coconut oil and mix it in. I pour it in this silicon mini-donut pan which is 2 teaspoons per slot (1 Tbsp for two), and they pop out of that super easy. I only put it in the fridge for awhile, till I pop them out and put in a ziplock that I keep in the door of the fridge. I use sweetzfree as the sweetener as it's zero carb.

kath310 Sun, Jan-13-08 14:10

I make the original recipe, but a lot more of it, and put it in a Tupperware ice cube tray (I don't even know if they make them any more; they were part of the "Freezer Mates" line in the early 90s)...they pop right out after freezing for 30 minutes

I've added slivered almonds to the batch before too, just to give it some nutty goodness.

I haven't tried it with the butter, as rightnow suggested, but that sounds awesome and will be in my next batch!! :D

Sandollar Sun, Jan-13-08 14:34

Mine is in the freezer....I'm debating on whether or not to add walnuts before it freezes!

Scarlet Mon, Jan-14-08 07:41

Where is the original recipe?

noelle1275 Mon, Jan-14-08 12:31

I'm glad I found this thread, was about to ask the same question. Thanks!
Sounds yummy!