Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Back After Several Years (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=484234)

Alex123 Sun, Aug-02-20 01:11

Back After Several Years

After many years away from the forum I am back to try and lose the weight I initially lost but gained again after many personal disasters, including the loss of both parents, 1 sister, the illness of 2 brothers and mental health issues within my family.

Meals for many years where what I could grab on the go without thinking of content and clothing was restricted to comfortable and useful. But now aged 75 I am back to lose the pounds I have put back on.

My starting weight in the middle of May was 237 lbs and I am now 207 lbs. So on my way. But I feel in the need of a bit of support and to have the ability to see how others are doing.

I am going on low carb, but not necessarily no carb, as I know that if I do not have a weekly treat it will all go pear shaped and I do not want to risk that happening.

I look forward to reading other people's stories and picking up tips and hints. Thank you.

Kirsteen Sun, Aug-02-20 05:15

Hi there, well done for biting the bullet, rather than the bun, hee hee.

I'm on a very slow road at present. I lose weight easily until 169lb, but thereafter it is painfully slow.. I've managed to lose 1/2 a pound in the last three weeks - I am so grateful for that now.

Thank goodness for this forum. It is a great place for info and support. The friendship and support here are very special.

Good luck with your journey. :)

Ms Arielle Sun, Aug-02-20 05:32

Welcome back!

Alex123 Sun, Aug-02-20 17:48

Thank you both for you welcomes.

Kirsteen, I don't think that I could ever get down to your current weight but that's fine for me. As long as I get down to around 180 and stay there with the help of the correct food and exercise then I will be happy. This will keep my blood pressure stable and give me some of my energy back.

Demi Mon, Aug-03-20 10:33

Welcome back :wave:

It looks like you're already off to a good start, and this forum is definitely a great place to find the help and support you need to keep it going.

Kristine Mon, Aug-03-20 10:45

Hello from Canada, Alex. There are quite a few Aussies here.

I'm a low-carb hedonist and enjoy my treats, too, though I try to keep them as low-carb as possible because I don't like that hangover feeling later on ;)

Best of luck.

deirdra Mon, Aug-03-20 13:05

I've found substitutions for what I consider a comfort food to be good for an occasional treat - things that recreate the texture and flavour without the carbs and not ultra-sweet. They are quite decadent by normal "dieting" standards but hit the spot. If I get a desire for crispy & salty, rather than diving into a family-size serving of chips or crisps, I salt & air-fry some chicken backs & legs with the skin on, eat and enjoy the skin, and save the meat for later meals and bones for bone broth. Or if I have a desire for thick & creamy, I'll buy a package of full fat cream cheeze, soften it & stir in real vanilla and a few drops of liquid stevia. Instead of pumpkin pie, I buy a can of 100% pumpkin puree, mix it up with cinnamon & other favourite pie spices, divide it into single servings of <10g carbs each, and put all but one in the freezer. Then I warm one serving in the microwave with a pat of butter and savor it. Putting my favourite full-fat blue cheeze or caesar dressing on my salad also feels decadent compared to years of low-cal, low-fat, low-flavour dieting before I found LCHF. Or making faux fettuccini Alfredo with steamed strips of cabbage for the fettuccini and Alfredo ingredients in carb-controlled amounts. All of my "treats" fall within my optimum carbs level (<30g/day and <10g/meal). These may not appeal to you, but try thinking up "legal" carb-level versions of the kinds of things you consider comfort foods. I stick to real foods, with zero to minimal processing and nothing bread-like. Because I allow myself these "treats" and could eat them every day, it puts me in the mindset of not being deprived by my WOE. I rarely actually want them now that I can have them, probably because my meals are full of protein & fat, so I'm not hungry, and feeling really good most of the time means I rarely need comfort foods. And because they are so filling and satisfying, one serving is all I want. As a former binge-eater of junkfoods & grains, this is the most incredible part of making LCHF my WOE.

Alex123 Mon, Aug-03-20 22:39

Thank you everyone for your support and thank you deirdra for the hints. I can go for a couple of days and behave myself :-) but when I have a fancy for something sweet it is hard going because I know what I am like. I cannot eat one or two biscuits - I will eat 3 or 4 and then think, well they only have x carbs in so another 2 won't hurt. Then I have the taste of sugar and a couple of squares of chocolate won't hurt etc etc etc. Because of that I bought some Atkins coconut chocolate bars and eat them nibble by nibble - they are not as easy to inhale as sweet biscuits are and take longer to eat, also not as sweet. So I am getting there, but I do know that I will have to fight the sweet tooth in me all the time. What do they say? Slow and Steady Wins the Race.