Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Breakfast Ideas (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=96)
-   -   Cheese Danish (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=163067)

rose7 Wed, Jan-28-04 20:46

Cheese Danish

Hi everyone, :wave:
This is by far the best 'Cheese Danish' recipe I've tasted. So easy to make! Not to mention delicious :yum:

Cheese Danish

List of Ingredients

Pastry portion:
3 eggs - separated (reserve 1/2 egg yolk for filling)
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar (stiffens the egg whites)
1/4 cup splenda - or your choice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons ricotta cheese

Filling:
4 ounces cream cheese (125 g)
1/2 egg yolk - reserved from pastry
1/4 cup splenda
1/4 teaspoon vanilla

Recipe

Pastry:
Separate eggs. Reserve approximately 1/2 a yolk for the filling. Then whip the whites until very stiff with the cream of tartar. Mix the remaining yolks, cinnamon, ricotta cheese, and sweetener until smooth. Fold yolk mixture into beaten whites and portion into 6 mounds onto a buttered cookie sheet. After mounding onto the cookie sheet, make an indentation in the top of each roll to hold the filling.

Filling:
Microwave cream cheese until soft enough to stir into a smooth pasty consistency. Add the remaining ingredients to the cream cheese and stir until smooth. Fill each Roll on the cookie sheet with the filling. Bake for 40 minutes in a 300 degree oven. Bake until golden.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Serving Size : 6

Happy Low Carbing :cheer:

atlee Sat, Feb-28-04 12:25

I made these last week from someone else's variation of this recipe, which added 3/4 scoop vanilla whey protein to the pastry batter along with the egg yolks & ricotta. They were really delicious -- the World's Pickiest Husband approved wholeheartedly and said I needed to make another batch. It's amazing how pastry-ish the pastry part was! I was a little skeptical about these before I made them, but this is one of the more successful dessert/breakfast recipes I've tried (and that's saying something).

Sharon Sat, Feb-28-04 16:44

Try adding a touch of cinnamon

I make some similiar using Doreen's multi-grain revolution buns, but I add a little "cinnamon".

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...hlight=cinnamon

AFwife Mon, Mar-01-04 09:06

I made some of the Cheese Danish's today and let me just say, OH MY GOD HOW YUMMY!

I have been craving for something like this for so long. I can't believe how good it is and it even looks like bread.

I'm so hooked. I made 6 and I think I may just eat them all today. I'll have to make more.

OH YUMMY!

Bravo to the recipe maker!

rose7 Sun, Mar-07-04 22:21

Hi folks, :p
I'm glad someone has tried this recipe besides me! :)
Lol Atlee, I'm totally with you. I've failed so many recipes-- including LC cheesecake :rolleyes: . But these, I was successful on my first try! :yay: I'm glad your DH (and others who posted here) enjoyed them :) . I too was skeptical at first, but I was really craving a cheese danish cuz they're my *favorite* pastry. I used to eat the regular kind on occassion and was happy to have found this recipe. Cheers!

:rose: Rose

Elisann Sat, Mar-20-04 01:09

I tried these and have been enjoying them for over a week now for breakfast. They are really good!!

ChangeUp Tue, Jun-08-04 14:09

Alright. I'm going to sound stupid here with these two questions but keep in mind I hardly ever cooked until beginning this lifestyle. ;)

1) Easy way to separate eggs?

2) Cream of tartar? Er? Where exactly in the grocer am I looking to buy this?

3) How many carbs per Danish does this yield? ( I see servings = 6 danish. I'm assuming serving size = 1 danish).

Sheryl5 Wed, Jun-09-04 16:37

Changeup,

The way I separate eggs is kind of "icky" but it gets the job done. Break the egg into your hand and let the white run through your fingers into a bowl. Sometimes you have to kind of pinch the white off below your hand.

Cream of tartar is found around the spices.

And, I put the recipe into my Mastercook software and got 4 carbs and 1 fiber for the whole recipe. I don't think it attributed any carbs to the eggs or Splenda, but that would only add a few. All in all, this looks like a great low-carb treat.

Sheryl

evansangel Sun, Jul-18-04 14:31

This looks really good, I will have to give it a try. I miss "pastry" type dishes..sniff sniff..maybe this will help with the cravings. :)

Karin289 Fri, Aug-06-04 07:47

I finally tried this recipe, and they are SO GOOD! :) The "pastry" part has the texture of that really cheap soft (yummy) white bread, but a nice cinnamon/pastry taste. YUMMY! I need to make more. Hehe.

toofattoo Fri, Aug-06-04 08:38

Okay, I'm sold. I'll be making this over the week-end. Yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! peg

Karin289 Fri, Aug-06-04 09:41

Oh, and mine were only in the oven around 30 min -- I tried to judge how well it was done by the firmness of the egg whites -- didn't want them to get crunchy or anything. Also, I wasn't sure what the egg yolk thing was all about, so I used two yolks in the pastry and one yolk in the cream cheese, so there wouldn't be any waste. :) Turned out great!

Arizona B Tue, Aug-17-04 15:46

OK Ladies, I'm sold. I'm going to make a batch of these tonight for my husband. Do they keep well ? Are they good if you eat them the next morning ?

LowCarbBab Thu, Aug-26-04 20:16

Is it me or is there no carb count listed there? What's the net carbs per serving?

LadyBelle Thu, Aug-26-04 20:30

The pastry recipe is almost exactly like the origional revolution rolls except it uses riccota instead of cottage cheese and cinnimon. I may have to try this though as the rolls turned out interesting :)