Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Bread & Baked Goods (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Muffins - The Best Flax Muffins in the World (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=47845)

spirit Mon, Jun-17-02 13:40

The Best Flax Muffins in the World

Try these! Oh you will love them! Promise! During PMS I can't stop eating them, but the fiber in the them keeps you full all day.

1/2 cup measures like sugar Splenda
1/2 stick butter (regular salted butter), melted
1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill flax meal (this is a great tasting brand!)
3/4 cup Atkins vanilla shake mix or Keto vanilla shake mix (can't vouch for other brands)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 large egg
1/4 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 tb. vegetable oil

Mix wet ingredients in bowl. Beat very well.

Mix dry ingredients in second bowl.

Mix wet ingredients into dry. Stir until very smooth.

Spray 6 cup muffin tin (I use the foil throw-away kind) with cooking spray and spoon in batter.

Bake 15 or 20 min., until knife inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.

Cool. I like these refrigerated and served very cold.

Makes 6 muffins. Each muffin has 5.5 grams carb. Please note that I do not subtract fiber on my food plan, and flax is loaded with fiber.

You can easily double the recipe.

Enjoy!
Next I'll post my cauliflower salad which tastes as good as potato salad!

spirit Mon, Jun-17-02 13:44

The Best Muffins in the world-left out

oops!

Sorry! I should have said bake in 350 degree oven!

Also, when I say shake mix, I mean using it dry. Do not dilute with water to make a shake. Use the dry mix.

Please try it!

Sorry for the omissions!

Natrushka Mon, Jun-17-02 13:47

Spirit, I merged the added instructions with your recipe. You have the option to go back and edit any post you create as long as you do so w/in 2 days of the orginial entry. I also moved the muffin recipe to the kitchen forum - so it's easily found for anyone searching.

Thanks for contributing :)
Nat

AlluraD Sun, Nov-03-02 20:07

Hi~
These muffins were amazing!!! They were wonderful.....sweet...........even my husband loved them. So fantastic to have something so yummy be legal and good for me~ These will be a definite regular for me! Thanks! :)

yossi Tue, Nov-19-02 23:59

hi, what is flax? where can i find it?

DebB Fri, Dec-06-02 03:42

Hi spirit ~ Have you posted your cauliflower salad recipe? I would love to try it - thanks! *Ü*

Bloom Sun, Jan-12-03 03:09

Yum Yum these are really delish :yum:

I thought the recipe seemed wrong (seemed too creamy/fatty)when making them but went along anyway and they turned out 'The Best Flax Muffins in the World' just as you said :thup:

Bamalady74 Sun, Jan-12-03 17:21

where can I find Flax? Is this at any super market? Someone please let me know.
Bamalady74

Catmom Sun, Jan-12-03 17:50

Thanks for posting this recipe. At first bite I said yuck, but continued to eat the muffin and now prefer them to any of the muffin mixes. They are yummy. Sometimes, when I will be away and am concerned that I will get hungry, I pack one in my bag - so much better for me and better tasting than all those low carb bars.

penelope Sun, Jan-12-03 21:07

Well ,
if Allura likes them I am sure I will too.
Bamalady You find flaxseeds in Health Food Store and some Supermarkets.
Grind them in a coffee grinder.

Bloom Mon, Jan-13-03 02:22

Bamalady, I get flaxmeal from my local supermarket but at a couple of other places Ive had to ask cos it was hidden away in obsure corner :rolleyes:
Here in N.Z. it is called Linseed not flax but same thing. Looks like it has loads of carbs when you see the packet but most are from fibre so dont count and it helps to keep you 'regular' ;) :thup:

Val4029 Fri, Jan-31-03 22:14

Flax seed muffins during induction?

Can these be eating during induction?? I am not sure of the vanilla mix or the flax seed? Any help would be great.

Thanks.
Val

ShirleyAnn Mon, Feb-03-03 12:17

flax seed muffins

I just tried the flax seed muffins with all fresh ingredients and they had a very bitter taste. Any idea on what I did wrong?

nicksmom Fri, Feb-07-03 05:01

If I don't have the vanilla shake mix, can I sub my vanilla praline whey protein mix or perhaps chocolate shake mix?

penelope Fri, Feb-07-03 09:13

Yes you can . I made mine with banana protein or Chocolate protein .One time I used unflavored soya protein powder.
I like it best if I add one-cup Almond Flour “meal” to the recipe regardless of the Protein powder used.
I sometimes add 1 cup Natural Wheat Bran to the mix. If it looks too dry I throw in one more egg and some water. :)