Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Best Of (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   A List of Foods Most Likely To Cause Stalls (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=27149)

Marlaine Thu, Dec-06-01 23:58

A List of Foods Most Likely To Cause Stalls

I'd like to make a list of foods that are often the cause of a stall or that might make us lose more slowly. Please contribute to this list I'll compile the results and then post them for everyone to see. It's a list that I'd like to have because I think it would help me to remember which foods to avoid or eat with caution.

I'll start it off by listing one I try to avoid.

Processed meats - sausage and lunch meat; because of the salt, preservatives and hidden carb fillers. I'm amazed that so many list among their ingredients - sugar. I'd like to be able to buy slices of roast beef in the deli, but I always find it too salty.

Final list (so far):
Processed Meats
Caffeine
Nicotine
Bacon
Cheese
Alcohol - Beer
Nuts & Nut Butters
Artificial Sweeteners & anything containing AS's such as diet jello and diet soda pop
Protein bars
Low carb food products that imitate high carb food
Eating a wide combination of food in one day
Too many pork rinds

tamarian Fri, Dec-07-01 00:05

Caffine and nicotine for the insulin resistant.

Wa'il

EllieEats Fri, Dec-07-01 06:12

Too much bacon ( or other salty meats)

Too much cheese

Ellie :wave:

Babs Fri, Dec-07-01 06:20

Beer.

wawtigress Fri, Dec-07-01 06:54

salty bacon

i'm new and trying to find a dr adkins group. where do i go? but what i do for the bacon problem , i put a little water to cover bacon in pan and bring to boil , you'll see the salt rise to the top. i pour this off and rinse one more time and then put on paper towels to cook in microwave. i also like the macadamia nuts but find to salty . i wash in a colander well then put on a cookie sheet just long enough to dry . they're great and i don't miss the salt at all.wawtigress :wave:

DeeSinn Fri, Dec-07-01 08:20

For me, nuts, definitely nuts. The only ones I really like are pistachios and when I've had a bad day (which I've had a couple this week) I find myself resorting to old behaviors and peeling off those shells and scarfing down two cups - definitely more carbs than I need. I use to scarf down a bag of tostitos so I guess this is an improvement but should still find a different stress reliever.

BTW - I see a lot of people commenting about salt. I know this can be a problem but how are each of you able to tell its a problem for you? Can you feel yourself bloated or are you just guessing you're retaining water or what? Just curious because I've never noticed a problem with high salt intake. I don't eat too much bacon or processed meats usually (maybe once a week) but last night I killed a whole pack of bacon on my own. I trimmed the fat off though (yea yea yea - I know I CAN eat it I just don't like it). No problems that I can see. Just curious as to what other people experience.

KASSY Fri, Dec-07-01 09:16

Nicotine

Tamarian- You said that nicotine prevents weight loss? I did not know this. Can you explain this further, and how much of a real impact does it have?

PenclPushr Fri, Dec-07-01 09:16

Anything processed will automatically stall me. I am very insulin resistant. I have a bad thyroid and the doc can never ever quite get my medication on the level that it needs to be...so, I find it extreeeeeemely hard to loose. :(

It is easier to say what I can eat, rather than what I can't. ;)

The best foods for me to eat are natural, non-processed meats and lc veggies, plain, with only no salt and pepper and perhaps a little spices that are sugar free. Lots of water.

So, to keep from going nuts with this lack of variety, I will usually have a few days of the week that I have a few tablespoons of lc dressing and maybe just a sprinkle of cheese and maybe one caffeine-free diet soda (usually I only have the sodas once every couple of weeks).

I have found that, when I get on maintenance. I will probably be able to eat regular Atkins low carb induction type foods. Yeah! Can't wait!! :yum: That will be awhile though.

Natrushka Fri, Dec-07-01 09:38

Re: Nicotine

Quote:
Originally posted by KASSY
Tamarian- You said that nicotine prevents weight loss? I did not know this. Can you explain this further, and how much of a real impact does it have?

Kassy, from the Eades of "Protein Power"

Quote:
How do smoking and smoking cessation affect the diet?

Smoking-particularly cigarette smoking-promotes the development of insulin resistance with all its attendant problems: obesity, lipid disturbances, atherosclerosis, hypertension, even diabetes. There is absolutely no reason to smoke, so why risk it? Many smokers fear weight gain when they stop, and indeed, stopping cigarette smoking causes a transient drop in metabolic drive (probably about 10%) which makes weight loss/maintenance a little tougher for a while. Coupling this diet with your efforts to stop smoking makes your job easier-through improved insulin sensitivity and better magnesium balance.

You can read more here .

HTH,
Nat

gwilson38 Fri, Dec-07-01 10:42

artificial sweetners for me. And i find if I have something with it...then I tend to be far hungrier and crave more.

Karen Fri, Dec-07-01 10:56

Protein bars. Low carb food products that imitate high carb food. Eating a wide combination of food in one day. Alcohol. Peanut and other nut butters. Too many pork rinds.

Karen

jesdorka Fri, Dec-07-01 11:21

foods i try to avoid

processed foods except canned tuna and salmon
salted butter
anything with flour, sugar or AS
peanuts
anything that says DIET,LOW CAL or LOW FAT on the label

tamarian Fri, Dec-07-01 12:48

Re: Nicotine

Quote:
Originally posted by KASSY
Tamarian- You said that nicotine prevents weight loss? I did not know this.

I was surprised as well when I saw that link Nat posted.

Wa'il

Natrushka Fri, Dec-07-01 14:36

Re: Re: Nicotine

Quote:
Originally posted by tamarian
I was surprised as well when I saw that link Nat posted.

Seems I'm just full o' surprizes today ;) The Protein Power FAQ is something I frequent and refer to often; specially when I don't have my book handy.

N

EllieEats Sat, Dec-08-01 06:06

THANKS WAWTIGRESS!!!

This is what I love about this sight!! I am always picking up tips that I would otherwise not find out!! :D
With a lb of bacon in the freezer, I can now do a thaw and have it again once in a while-- great!!
Ellie :wave:

Susanjoyce Sat, Dec-08-01 07:45

smoking

I have not been on the LC long enough to figure out what is causing my stalls. However I was surprised to hear that smoking can stall you. My Dad was just put into the Hospital last night they found a tumor on his lung he is in pretty bad shape and I would be thankful for any extra prayers.
I guess it's time I stop smoking for more than one reason. But I'm just not ready yet.

Marlaine Sat, Dec-08-01 10:15

The List So Far

Here is the list so far. Please post any others that are not listed here now!

<b>Processed meats
Caffeine
Nicotine
Bacon
Cheese
Alcohol - Beer
Nuts & Nut Butters
Artificial Sweeteners
Protein bars
Low carb food products that imitate high carb food
Eating a wide combination of food in one day
Too many pork rinds </b>

wawtigress Sat, Dec-08-01 13:36

bacon to ellie

ellie,take wax paper when you come home from the grocery with bacon while still not frozen. strip of say a foot of wax paper lay on counter and take two strips of bacon and lay close together but not touching. then fold over the wax paper to cover bacon then lay two more strips on top of those first to pieces with the folded over wax paper over . continue until all the bacon is gone then put in saran wrap or bag and freeze. when you want bacon you can easily separate pieces you need without thawing whole package.wawtigress

grahamgirl Sat, Dec-08-01 16:21

For me, it's diet soda -- at times I'd still rather have this than water. Diet Coke is still a major treat for me, though I've really cut down and can go days without. Caffeine might affect me adversely.

The worst, however, is that I'll drink this junk instead of water. Not drinking enough water definitely causes a stall.

Karni Sat, Dec-08-01 17:24

For me it is cheese, nuts and artificial sweetners.
And can I include alcohol? I love the stuff!

alan Sat, Dec-08-01 20:05

I find that it's the night time snacks that get me into trouble. Take nuts for example. The package says 29 pieces and maybe indicates 3 to 5 grams depending upon the type of nuts. BUT, can anyone stop when they reach the alloted serving size for the carbs listed on the package. I can't and for that reason they are not allowed into the house.

chrisews Sat, Dec-08-01 20:30

I'm afraid it's french vanilla low fat coffee whitener. That means probably the artificial sweeteners in it, plus it has 5 carbs per 1 tblspn, I try to lighten my coffee with just 1 teaspoon instead, cutting the caqrb to 2.5. But I have to face it, it's not helping me, i went out and bought light cream which has no carbs. It was my little treat, but now I'm on a stall, so I guess that's it, although I do eat processed meats, I's so easy to just take a few slices of salami and cheese with my salad. I guess I'm going to have to rethink this. :confused: Chris

juicyjacki Sun, Dec-09-01 07:33

i found that Carblife chocolates make me stall ... and i am sorry to say that i also prefer Diet coke to water, I know a lot of people say that the citric acid in fizzy drinks can also make them stall.

I think a root of my eating problem is also a shoppping / spending / binging thing. When i was younger i aspired to being a grown-up with my own money, and when my folks had some money they gave us good food as a treat. when i started to work i treated myself all the time - thus i have a food eating problem.

Could be worse - i could be a junkie

Ororo Sun, Dec-09-01 08:33

Salt and LC'ing

I've noticed a number of people have commented about salty meats. After someone recommended that I needed more fat in my diet, I tried eating bacon and some other pork. I got more fat, but I also gained a pound. Perhaps, it's water retention.

Is there anyway of flushing one's system of the salt. Perhaps by drinking lots of water? Or, do I just have to weight.

I'm so depressed by this turn around. I was doing so well on my own.

gecolon Sun, Dec-09-01 10:52

Yes Ororo, You should drink lots of water about half your weight in ounces. I'm at 280 right now so I need to drink at least 140 oz a day. I eat foods with a lot of salt content, but as long as I drink 140oz of water I still loose and it hasn't hindered me. I read your other post and if you are going to do this you should try the tried and true way at the beginning. It really does work and I know it goes against everything you were previously taught about loosing weight Do as you are doing and read all the post. You will learn alot. Sorry to hear about your gain, but read what everyonelse is eating and look at their stats. Drink the water and eat the foods and you will loose. I'm willing to bet my next 5lb lost on it. :)

SusanD Sun, Dec-09-01 11:16

Nuts are a stumbling block. One serving is never enough. Bacon can also be a problem if I don't eat it in moderation.

Marlaine Sun, Dec-09-01 11:38

Coffee & Coffee Whiteners

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisews
I'm afraid it's french vanilla low fat coffee whitener. That means probably the artificial sweeteners in it, plus it has 5 carbs per 1 tblspn, I try to lighten my coffee with just 1 teaspoon instead, cutting the caqrb to 2.5.

Before LC I was "addicted" to the Irish Cream flavoured coffee whitener. It's expensive $$-wise as well as carb-wise. When I started Atkins in September I was already drinking de-caff coffee (because of high blood pressure) so it was really just one small step to giving it up all together. I realized that I could not have my favourite creamer in it and be on LC so the only solution was to quit coffee altogether. This was a BIG DEAL for me because I truly am a coffee lover through and through. Funny though...I don't really miss it. Have 'indulged' in coffee twice since quitting (lightened with whipping cream) and thoroughly enjoyed both cups but oddly enough no longer have a desire to have it every day. Guess I'm just a "tea granny" now.

Marlaine

chrisews Sun, Dec-09-01 15:01

Thanks so much Marlaine, Actually, I have begun to drink Tea also, but that first cup in the AM, even though it's decaf....it's hard to stop, however, i did try light cream this AM and it tastes so much better than Half and half That I actually enjoyed my coffee with out my favorite French vanilla. And...without the carbs. Wow :roll: chris

lilwannabe Mon, Dec-10-01 00:50

For me...it is anything salty...I wake up..and my fingers are tight. I even have to be careful not to salt my food ( I don't use it in cooking)...it seems even a small bit will cause retention.

Also nuts, porkrinds, pepperoni, alcohol, and I watch my cheese intake as well.

sammiejam Mon, Dec-10-01 01:14

Fluid retention can be controlled by drinking heaps of water. If you have enough then your body wont try to store it. Also cutting out excess salt helps.