Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Milestones (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   5 years: A Change (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=484502)

thud123 Wed, Sep-30-20 06:23

5 years: A Change

I don't write many of these things but thought it might bring some encouragement to those on the path or considering it. From my personal journal here today...

5 years ago today I started on a low carb journey. It's been a great adventure and education. It took me about 18 months to change from 342lbs to the mid 180's - and I've been able to maintain a 100lb change since then.

http://downhaul.com/lowcarb/daily.txt

Be patient, stay a course, enjoy more of these along the way:

cotonpal Wed, Sep-30-20 06:35

Happy anniversary Thud. You are officially one of our rock stars!

thud123 Wed, Sep-30-20 09:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
Happy anniversary Thud. You are officially one of our rock stars!

Thanks Jean, you've been instrumental in the the process as an example, mentor and, most importantly, a friend.

Ms Arielle Wed, Sep-30-20 10:42

Congrats 🎉 on 5 years......IMHO maintaining is more difficult than the weight loss process. Thud, you made maintenance look easy.

It sure helps to see real people make this way of eating work.

Grav Wed, Sep-30-20 11:38

Well done Thud. It's always reassuring to read about those who have not just succeeded in losing weight, but who have maintained that success in the longer term also.

Sniggle Wed, Sep-30-20 12:05

Pretty incredible journey, and documentation. Every time I get smug thinking how great it is that I was able to lose 30+ lbs (I am still losing and gaining a bit of it over and over..lol), I am reminded of folks like you that climb a much, much bigger mountain.

Do you mind me asking what 'happened' 10/19-3/20 to cause some pretty dramatic swings in weight, both trend and day to day?

barb712 Fri, Oct-02-20 07:35

Congratulations, thud, and thanks for the inspiration as well as the gorgeous sunset!

thud123 Fri, Oct-02-20 12:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Congrats 🎉 on 5 years......IMHO maintaining is more difficult than the weight loss process. Thud, you made maintenance look easy.

It sure helps to see real people make this way of eating work.

Thanks Ms Arielle - I think "Maintenance" is more Interesting than weight loss but not necessarily harder - at least it seems to be working out that way for me. Plenty of ups and downs in weight experimenting with what works and what does not work, noting and staying clear or venturing into the later with eyes wide open knowing the consequences.

thud123 Fri, Oct-02-20 12:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grav
Well done Thud. It's always reassuring to read about those who have not just succeeded in losing weight, but who have maintained that success in the longer term also.

Thank you Grav and Agreed! You have been a mainstay of good example, open minded-ness and kind hearted-ness here. Someone I can continue to admire from across the ocean but close in spirit. o7 to you!

thud123 Fri, Oct-02-20 12:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniggle
Pretty incredible journey, and documentation. Every time I get smug thinking how great it is that I was able to lose 30+ lbs (I am still losing and gaining a bit of it over and over..lol), I am reminded of folks like you that climb a much, much bigger mountain.

Do you mind me asking what 'happened' 10/19-3/20 to cause some pretty dramatic swings in weight, both trend and day to day?

It's been great to have you around here and read your experience, journey and fun with son. Wishing the best to both of you and will continue to read your updates.

Let me go back and look... I'm thinking your talking Oct(10) 2019 thru Mar(3) 2020?...

Oct and first half of Nov I was eating max carbs, like pizza, ice cream, candy, etc, etc at the end of kitefoiling water season. Being in freezing water day after day was a good excuse to over indulge and also wearing a baggie dry suit didn't affect being fatter (like a seal fat) and mobility. Then it looks like Ice Season opened up for kite skating and I probably realized (and also approach my 100lb "limit" for high weight and reigned in the carbs and ate normal again. Then in January 2020 I see there was some carb binging again for about a week, then a few more winter indulgeces till April where it looks like i buckled down and started Alternate Day Fasting (M-W-F) got get back to summer weight - ~200 lbs for me is fine - 190's better

So, I have not maintained anything like perfect adherence to a perfect plan. I wonder, wobble like a weavel, but generally don't fall down and get back to sensible eating patterns eventually - I should say that they are the mainstay of what has kept me healthy and fit to do the activities I enjoy that I simply could not before when maxing out the scales at ~370 before I joined this here club.

Hopefully that's helpful and it's mostly the truth as I remember it by reviewing the log here http://downhaul.com/lowcarb/daily.txt

Ciao!

thud123 Fri, Oct-02-20 12:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb712
Congratulations, thud, and thanks for the inspiration as well as the gorgeous sunset!

Thank you Barb, it's been fun hanging out with you on this board in various threads. That sunset was taken by a friend about 2 weeks ago after a kiting session on a big lake. Lot's of that unfortunate smoke from others pain in the air. It provided a degree of somberness to its beauty.

Wishing you and yours the best,

bluesinger Sat, Oct-03-20 08:24

Remember Just Jo? I still have her journal bookmarked in case she returns. Her last post in her J was March 10, 2019. She is a rock star like you. I hope she's still doing well and is happy in her new home and retirement.

Because of my age and being female, I find maintenance an ongoing struggle. I think I've been maintaining two years now. Maybe three. I should have kept better records. An anti-inflammatory diet is totally essential now to keep my body pain free. That and a good chiropractor. All kinds of small birth imperfections magnify with age.

Congratulations on your milestone, and may we all survive to serve as proof that this WOE isn't a Fad.

thud123 Sat, Oct-03-20 09:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
Remember Just Jo? I still have her journal bookmarked in case she returns. Her last post in her J was March 10, 2019. She is a rock star like you. I hope she's still doing well and is happy in her new home and retirement.

Because of my age and being female, I find maintenance an ongoing struggle. I think I've been maintaining two years now. Maybe three. I should have kept better records. An anti-inflammatory diet is totally essential now to keep my body pain free. That and a good chiropractor. All kinds of small birth imperfections magnify with age.

Congratulations on your milestone, and may we all survive to serve as proof that this WOE isn't a Fad.

Hi Glenda, I miss Jo too. I look once and a while to see if she's logged in but no. Hoping the best for her. I think she got a little tired of trying to keep everyones spirits buoyed all the time - lots of work! She might need some time away from here.

I follow your current and backstory here with vigor. You always are finding good footing and moving forward in a cheerful and helpful manor.

Thanks for the shout out here and see you around :)