Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Comments Box and Technical Questions (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   What are the rules on posting recipes? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=38358)

lcon109 Sun, Mar-24-02 16:47

What are the rules on posting recipes?

I have a great recipe for Spinach Soup that I found in a book. Should I direct people to look for the book or can I post the recipe as long as I credit the author, etc.?

Thank :wave:

Lisa

tamarian Sun, Mar-24-02 16:57

If the recipe has been modified to make it low-carb or changed/adapted to your taste, you may post it with a comment as "adapted from".

If the recipe is good as is (in the book) it maybe a violation of copyrights to post it. I'm not sure, since I'm not a lwayer, but maybe Karen could clarify this, since she's a cookbook author.

So I'd say not post it, just to be on the safe side and not offend authors.

Wa'il

lcon109 Sun, Mar-24-02 17:04

It is "as is" in the cookbook...

...wonderful recipe too. I'm going to post at least the author and the book and the name of the recipe. I'm sure that won't be harmful :)

Thanks for the quick response!!

Lisa

kimberlyw Wed, Feb-02-05 12:54

On the (posted like 5 times) sticky about posting rules, this is false (Maybe NOT for this FORUM but in you know, the rest of life):

1. Recipes may only be posted if they do not violate copyright. This applies to most cookbooks. If you found the recipe elsewhere on the internet, be sure it would not be a violation of copyright to post it. If in doubt, post a link instead. If it's a recipe that you have used and tweaked enough to make it your own, that's okay to post, but it would be a generous gesture to credit the source of inspiration.

A recipe itself cannot be copyrighted because it is a fact and facts cannot be copyrighted.

The method of presentation can be, YES so no using the same title, same description, no copying the exact words of others, etc., YES! These are subject to copyright.

However, the number of ingredients, amount of each, and preparation are not.

THey are facts and as such are not subject to copyright law.

JUst to you know, keep everyone clear.

:)
~Kimberly

tamarian Wed, Feb-02-05 16:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlyw
On the (posted like 5 times) sticky about posting rules, this is false (Maybe NOT for this FORUM but in you know, the rest of life):

1. Recipes may only be posted if they do not violate copyright. This applies to most cookbooks. If you found the recipe elsewhere on the internet, be sure it would not be a violation of copyright to post it. If in doubt, post a link instead. If it's a recipe that you have used and tweaked enough to make it your own, that's okay to post, but it would be a generous gesture to credit the source of inspiration.

A recipe itself cannot be copyrighted because it is a fact and facts cannot be copyrighted.

The method of presentation can be, YES so no using the same title, same description, no copying the exact words of others, etc., YES! These are subject to copyright.

However, the number of ingredients, amount of each, and preparation are not.

THey are facts and as such are not subject to copyright law.

JUst to you know, keep everyone clear.

:)
~Kimberly

As I said before, I'm not a lawyer :)

But the problem we've had on the forum is some posters post exact copies of recipes from cookbooks, or other sites, word for word. Even worse, removing any credit or link to the original author, site or book.

Not sure if this is allowed per copyright laws, but we've decided not to allow it anyway. It only seems fair.

Wa'il

kimberlyw Fri, Feb-04-05 15:29

Hiya!
Quote:
But the problem we've had on the forum is some posters post exact copies of recipes from cookbooks, or other sites, word for word. Even worse, removing any credit or link to the original author, site or book.

Well that's pretty darned rude! I mean, if you're going to take the time to copy paste/type word for word, then take the time to give credit where it's due.

However, the fact remains, that copyright law does not apply to fact.

Some people though, want/need attention, and they go to really odd and crazy extremes to get it, such as posting (thus taking credit for on the sly) recipes word for word from books/other sites.

However, we should all try and remember that: Most resipes on most sites are really just "replicas" of every other recipe for the same thing out there. So, I guess what my point is, is that if a recipe has the same name (Such as: Pork and Green Chile, one of MY OWN recipes which shares the same generic name with many others - not this is not the "title" or other "specialized" name like Martha's Spicy, Snazzy Pork and Green Chile! THAT would be wrong, to use the title of another!), that it is NOT necessarily "stolen" goods.

In closing, I totally appreciate the Recipe Moderators' point of view, I just wanted to make a few things clear.

:D
~Kimberly