Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Exercise versus diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=482228)

CityGirl8 Sun, Apr-07-19 11:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
You are not too big for running.
My joints, especially my knees and ankles, would differ with that opinion. :)

DaisyDawn Thu, Apr-18-19 09:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl8
My joints, especially my knees and ankles, would differ with that opinion. :)

I'm in the 130s and I can't run either-even with fancy running shoes (bought from a specialty shop). My knees just can't take it-and I've never had knee injuries/they don't hurt at all any other time, so odd lol. I've tried it a few times but have just come to terms that running isn't good for my body and I walk every day instead-so much gentler on my body and it's still good exercise :)

Bob-a-rama Fri, Apr-19-19 08:16

I do brisk walking. Sometimes I'll mix a little sprint it, but when running flat out full speed there is little shock to the knees.

I also avoid fowl (chicken, turkey, duck) because the arachidonic acid is inflammatory. I keep egg yolks to a minimum too.

With this change in my diet, along with low carb (I already was doing that) and no organ meats (don't really care for liver) I went from not being able to walk 2 blocks without stopping due to the pain in my hip to being able to walk 4 miles with no discomfort.

If you are having joint pain, you might try that for a month to see if it works for you.

Bob

Lbangle Sat, Jun-01-19 08:26

Ms Arielle I agree with your predicament......my job changed from an active one that required movement to a desk job and the pounds piled on. After 15 years in that desk job I was overweight and physically way out of shape. Of course I should have done something when it was happening but I didn't and so here I am. I have lost a lot of the weight, but age and arthritis also arrived and has hampered my beginning to exercise again due to knee pain. Walking is painful after a few minutes. I have been in rehab for my knee, and am currently undergoing a series of gel shots in my knee. I want to exercise for my heart and lung health more than for weight loss because I know you can lose without the exercise. I am looking at purchasing a recumbent stationary bicycle to use at home, and am beginning to do some exercises in the pool now that its summer.

all I know for sure is that you have to keep moving if you want to be mobile and healthy as you age. The more weight I lose the easier it is on my body when I try to exercise.

bluesinger Sat, Jun-01-19 09:06

We're all like the snowflakes: No two alike. What's going on inside our bodies is a mystery, which is why I do so much self experimentation.

When I was in my 30s add dancing 8 shows a week, the men lost weight while we women did not. If I did a modified fast diet while dancing those 8 shows a week, I would lose weight quickly. Had no way of know whether the exercise helped. 500 KCAL per day will make even a woman lose pounds.

Now that I'm older, the necessity of exercise is just that~a necessity. My muscle tone falls quickly away and aches and pains return. Whether I've lost or gained ounces, that has become my new normal.

Bob-a-rama Sat, Jun-01-19 11:56

I got rid of most of my joint pain by giving up fowl and egg yolks. They are high in arachidonic acid.

A doc gave me the anti-arthritis/anti-bursitis diet. I'd already given up carbs, and never liked organ meats.

I saw results in less than a month.

Bob