Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Low-Carb Products (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Ketone Bar (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=484444)

BlueVelvet Thu, Sep-17-20 18:43

Ketone Bar

Just wondering if anyone has tried these bars:

Ketone Bar - Chocolate Caramel Flavour

I'm wary of a lot of the products out there claiming to be keto, but these - according to the manufacturer - have been "designed from the ground up to be both ketogenic and to boost ketones. It is a high fat, low carb, moderate protein keto snack which contains Pure C8 MCT oil."

The customer reviews seem pretty good and the ingredients don't appear to have anything too worrisome in them:

Pure Cocoa Mass, Natural Sweetener (Erythritol), Cashew Butter, Pure C8 MCT Powder (Caprylic Acid Triglycerides, Acacia Fiber), Natural Sweetener (Xylitol), Chicory Root Fiber, Pure C8 MCT Oil (Caprylic Acid Triglycerides), Egg White Powder, Himalayan Salt, Sunflower Lecithin and Natural Flavorings.

Not looking for opinions telling me that "they're not 'real' food" because I'm well aware of what they are. Just interested to know if anyone here has tried them/heard of them/likes them.

bluesinger Fri, Sep-18-20 06:22

I haven't tried that brand, but I experimented with ketone bars. I got mine from Julian Bakery Amazon. They were very expensive and tasted so bad that I threw them away.

I've been using one brand of high protein snack bars for 25 years. I keep them on hand for road trips and other times when i have limited food access.

BlueVelvet Fri, Sep-18-20 08:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
I haven't tried that brand, but I experimented with ketone bars. I got mine from Julian Bakery Amazon. They were very expensive and tasted so bad that I threw them away.

I've been using one brand of high protein snack bars for 25 years. I keep them on hand for road trips and other times when i have limited food access.

Ha ha...well that sounds utterly disappointing, lol. I'm always able to give a bit of leeway with regards the taste of something, if it's serving another purpose. Some days I can't get up and walk around a lot. The smell of food cooking nauseates me, but I need to make sure I put something in my stomach with some of my medications. I'm happy to eat the blandest, cardboard tasting protein bar our there, if it's convenient, won't pull me out of ketosis and helps me keep my meds down. I don't even care about the cost if they serve their purpose.

That probably sounds really weird to some people, but I have to make my WOE work around my lifestyle and the way I'm going to be eating for the rest of my life. A normal, acceptable, convenient, doable WOE for me is always going to mean treating my food intake like a fuel for the most part. Sure I enjoy a lot of things, a lot of the time, but if I could go through the majority of my life, not even having to cook another mean, existing on supplements and the occasional bit of real food, I'd actually be far happier.

And at the end of the day, this whole malarkey is all so that my overall health will improve, by having less weight on my frame, so if my appetite can be reigned in enough to not overeat, well I'm happy to just get whatever food in me I can to keep everything ticking over.

Except of course for chocolate cake. There will always be a part of me that craves gooey, frosted chocolate cake, for no other reason than it is awesome and I am human after all.

bluesinger Fri, Sep-18-20 10:31

I get it. I found a 30gm protein LC drink I use to take my morning meds. Much like you, I'd rather forego food, but this drink has vitamins and hopefully gives me a nutritional leg up. I drink about half in the morning and the other half later in the afternoon.

BlueVelvet Fri, Sep-18-20 13:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
I get it. I found a 30gm protein LC drink I use to take my morning meds. Much like you, I'd rather forego food, but this drink has vitamins and hopefully gives me a nutritional leg up. I drink about half in the morning and the other half later in the afternoon.

Same. I have a shake mix, but because some of my meds include soluble co-codamol, it can be a bit 'touch & go' as to whether or not they'll behave with just other liquids sloshing around in there, lol.

I'm just glad there are options out there for those of us like you and me who are never going to be able to rustle up and consume actual food every single day! Hurray for innovation!

Benay Sat, Sep-19-20 04:53

The Ketone bar has 3 gm net carbs and costs 29 pounds - wonder what it costs in $. I will have to check it out. Thanks for the suggestion.
That's an expensive experiment
But it has received 4 1/2 stars from customers.
I wonder if I should try it
Currently have a box full of low carb/high protein drinks that I use when hungry but don't want to cook
Hate the flavor so I drink it fast

Benay Sat, Sep-19-20 05:00

I just did a search for Ketone Bars Julian Bakery and came up with these 2 pages from Amazon.com
Not a single "Ketone Bar" showed up

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ketone+b...nb_sb_ss_i_2_11

When I searched for Ketone Bars without adding Julian Bakery, they showed up. They have received 4 stars and are available for $40/box. An expensive experiment

https://www.amazon.com/Ketone-Ketog...ps%2C235&sr=8-5

BlueVelvet Sat, Sep-19-20 17:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
When I searched for Ketone Bars without adding Julian Bakery, they showed up. They have received 4 stars and are available for $40/box. An expensive experiment

Yes!! That's them! I found a couple of brands which claim to have been created with the purpose of not raising blood sugar levels/stimulating insulin and not pulling the consumer out of ketosis. The other ones are here: Keto Keto Bars - Cherry Bakewell (On Amazon)

Money isn't an issue, if they're mildly unpleasant but still serve a purpose I can live with it. I just hate the idea of actually wasting things that are either far too disgusting for me to consider eating, or that other people may have had some bad experiences with. Real food leftovers are always put out for the birds, but chocolate is toxic to them and I doubt they'd be much impressed if they found chunks of unwanted protein bars out there with their seeds, suet pellets, mealworms, peanuts, sultanas and rice crispies of a morning. They'd probably do what they normally do when dissatisfied with their bounty - kick over the water bowl and sit across from my window, seething like the spoilt brats they are, until I replenish it all to their satisfaction, lol.

Benay Sun, Sep-20-20 04:51

Love the description of your birds BlueVelvet!

Merpig Sun, Sep-20-20 14:23

Quote:

Those look good and have great reviews, but I see they also contain xylitol and MCT oil, both of which act on my gut as if someone were shredding my intestines with a chef's knife. I'd be willing to buy one bar to see what happened, but not willing to shell of $40 for 12 bars which might destroy my innards. I see a couple reviews where people say the bars cause severe intestinal distress. One review:
Quote:
I really, really wanted to love these. The texture, size and ability to satiate are all great and so are the macros for a Keto diet. However, with erythritol being the second ingredient and xylitol being the fourth, the amount of sweetener is so huge that they gave me really bad digestive issues. The first time was just bloating and gas, however the second time was really sharp stomach cramps.
Yes that's how I react also to xylitol and MCT oil, so I suspect I better not try these bars, much as I would love to find a bar of this sort that I could use.

s93uv3h Sun, Sep-20-20 22:50

I've tried a few on Amazon:

Bhu Keto Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bars

IQ BAR Chocolate Lovers Variety Pack

They were good. More flavors that ^ those two. Just got delivery of a box of BlueVelvet's Ketone bars to try. I'm in the middle of a TRE so reviews will have to wait.

BlueVelvet Mon, Sep-21-20 04:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
One review: Yes that's how I react also to xylitol and MCT oil, so I suspect I better not try these bars, much as I would love to find a bar of this sort that I could use.

I'm sorry to hear that Merpig, that's a real pain in the...well a pain the guts I guess! Are you okay with any other sweeteners? Or are they all irritants to you? If there are any you can eat, I can keep an eye out for things that might be suitable for you as I go about my mission to find the perfect stand-by bar? If I do buy this type, I'd be more than happy to send you one in the post to try out so you can test it out without breaking the bank.

BlueVelvet Mon, Sep-21-20 04:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
I've tried a few on Amazon:

Bhu Keto Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bars

IQ BAR Chocolate Lovers Variety Pack

They were good. More flavors that ^ those two. Just got delivery of a box of BlueVelvet's Ketone bars to try. I'm in the middle of a TRE so reviews will have to wait.

Ooh...I shall have to investigate those other ones out further! Also, I shall await your review of the Ketone Bars, before putting in an order myself. My other half bought me a box of PhD Smart Salted Fudge Brownie Bars from Holland and Barrett a few days ago. They're currently on offer at £12 for a box of 12, until tomorrow; then they go back up to £22 a box (Also available in singles, £1 each until tomorrow, then £2.49 for a 64g bar). I've had one that I split in half and ate each half on Saturday and Sunday morning when I took some meds and they definitely haven't pulled me out of ketosis. They taste like Thornton's Caramel Fudge, with a slightly boozy flavour in there (like a boozy vanilla extract in there) and I'd definitely buy them again at full price.

My other half is quite surprised at how I can just open a bar of 'chocolate' eat some and just put it to one side for another time. He knows just how much of a chocolate monster I have been in the past. Now I have all his snack stuff lying around the house, not bothering me and half-eaten chocolate protein bars, just sitting right next to me, not even eliciting the slightest urge to scoff like I would normally. I'm equally as surprised, but I'm liking the way I feel far freer with regards to snacking. I don't feel like a woman possessed around chocolate anymore and long may that continue!

BlueVelvet Mon, Sep-21-20 05:13

Quote:
Love the description of your birds BlueVelvet!

Thank you Benay - they're absolute darlings! Being able to feed the birds is one of life's great little experiences. We have a huge crew of corvids who visit us every day, starlings, pied wagtails, collared doves, a couple of magpies (corvids technically, but they look a lot different to the crows/jays/jackdaws/blackbirds that we get around here) and an adorable little flock of hedge-sparrows who are absolutely tiny, yet just so perfectly formed they make me gasp in happiness every time I see them. I also have a mummy, daddy & baby seagull who live across the way and they get lots of left-overs and cat-food. Every year they have a baby that inevitably falls out of the nest and slides down to the roof gully beneath, so we make sure that it gets food and water (we throw ice over so it can get to it) to survive. Because we've been doing it the past three years, they've pretty much decided to make us a part of their family.

We probably spend about £40 a week on food for the birds and just seeing them come visit, or hearing all their different chirps and outbursts, makes it worth the outlay alone. I also love that as word gets out (because weirdly enough they do "talk" to each other - crows especially!) more turn up to get fed. If the food bill increases, so be it. Just knowing that so many little birds will get to eat well, have offspring that grow up big and strong, and it'll make things so much easier for them during the snow and frost of winter, brings me and my other half much joy.

It's also adorable too that all the different types of birds come to feed together. Because they're living in a time of plenty, not scarcity, they don't have to fight or squabble over every crumb. So I'll often see a tiny hedge-sparrow, a starling and a huge crow all standing in a line, eating together. Anyone can feed the birds. It doesn't cost as much as we fork out. A 1kg bag of seed costs £1.20 and most birds will be grateful of that. I'm forever telling people to feed them. It's very rewarding and you're actually doing nature a favour. I'm like those religious folk who you see in the street who want to talk to you about god. Stand next to me for too long at the bus-stop and I'll be asking you if you've ever considered bringing the joy of bird-feeding into your life, lol. :agree:

s93uv3h Mon, Sep-21-20 06:48

They have an after taste I don't care for - more so than IQ bars and / or Bhu Keto bars.

Price per bar:

$2.08 IQ
$2.91 Bhu
$3.10 Ketone