Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Sweet treats (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Maple Walnut Icing (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=215377)

cubalz Fri, Sep-21-07 09:16

I made these late last night for my daughter's elementary school picnic. I get so tired of going to these events and finding NOTHING sweet that I can eat with no reprecussions.

I had one this morning after I finished icing and slicing. Wonderful! It's such a shame to "waste" them on all the non-LCer's. LOL

These will be great for Thanksgiving. I LOVE pumpkin. I followed the original recipe exactly though I was tempted to use my Pumpkin Pie DV syrup in the batter. The cream cheese frosting with the maple extract was perfect. My daughter was sniffing the empy frosting bowl and asked if she was smelling syrup in there.

Raine'sMom Fri, Sep-21-07 14:13

These look fantastic!!!! I'm so anxious to make these.

Raine'sMom Mon, Sep-24-07 09:13

Okay.... I ended up making these this past weekend. They were really, really good! They did turn out very moist as others have posted. I had to end up dumping the pan upside down on a cookie sheet and cooking again to get some of the moisture out of the bottom. Next time, I will use less oil and cook in a mini muffin pan. Smaller cooking surface and less oil should do the trick. The flavor is OUTSTANDING! Great fix for when you miss cake. I will certainly try this one again! YUMMM!!!! :yum: :yum:

Oh - the icing. I made it but I did not really care for it so I didn't use it. I don't know what the problem was - probally me - but I liked the cake plain just fine AND it's less carbs! Works for me!

cubalz Tue, Sep-25-07 10:25

I lined my pan with parchment paper (top & sides) before baking so when it cooled, I just lifted the whole cake out onto my cutting board, iced and sliced. BONUS: the pan was still totally clean!

Ms 2B Sat, Oct-06-07 16:36

Delicious! I used a little less oil and Splenda Quick Packs. I used powdered Erythritol cream cheese icing. Yummy!

Amanda1978 Sun, Oct-07-07 19:35

I made these again for Thanksgiving. I used a square silicone pan, doubled the recipe and used a bit less oil to turn it into more of a cake. Everyone loved it and ate it all up even after everyone pigged out on all my turkey, stuffing (made with LC bread so I could have a little treat), roasted brussels sprouts tossed with butter, toasted slivered almonds and sprinkled with nutmeg, scalloped cauliflower, KFC styled coleslaw, LC veggie tray with my dill dip, etc, etc, etc. (oh, and my MIL made scalloped potatoes and grave to go with it.)

They also freeze really well. I like to cut them up and freeze individual portions to bring with me when for the ten million holiday meals between now and January.

iamgoddess Tue, Oct-09-07 13:39

This question may have already been asked, but I didn't want to read through the whole thread.... ;)

I don't use Splenda. Instead I use packets of powdered Stevia because they contain NO carbs. The packets are the same size as the Splenda packets. Does anyone know if I would use the same amount, or more, or less??? Not sure how the amount of Splenda converts to the amount of stevia.

This recipe sounds amazing!!! I have been dreading Thanksgiving at my grandma's house b/c there are always such amazing desserts. Now I'll just bring one of my own, so no need to worry!

Blondie888 Tue, Oct-09-07 18:58

Iamgoddess, here's a link that may help: http://www.cookingwithstevia.com/st...sion_chart.html.

I'm not sure about taste however.

Amanda1978 Wed, Oct-10-07 06:32

I don't really know. I've never been able to get over the aftertaste left by Stevia so I use Sweetzfree (liquid Splenda) which is also 0 carbs and it turns out just as good. But I did use the measures like sugar Splenda to make the frosting so it would be thicker like a real frosting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgoddess
This question may have already been asked, but I didn't want to read through the whole thread.... ;)

I don't use Splenda. Instead I use packets of powdered Stevia because they contain NO carbs. The packets are the same size as the Splenda packets. Does anyone know if I would use the same amount, or more, or less??? Not sure how the amount of Splenda converts to the amount of stevia.

This recipe sounds amazing!!! I have been dreading Thanksgiving at my grandma's house b/c there are always such amazing desserts. Now I'll just bring one of my own, so no need to worry!

iamgoddess Wed, Oct-10-07 07:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie888
Iamgoddess, here's a link that may help: http://www.cookingwithstevia.com/st...sion_chart.html.

I'm not sure about taste however.


THANKS!!! :D

TimesTwo Thu, Oct-11-07 20:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raine'sMom
Oh - the icing. I made it but I did not really care for it so I didn't use it. I don't know what the problem was - probally me - but I liked the cake plain just fine AND it's less carbs! Works for me!
I haven't made the bars, but I made the icing with just vanilla extract to top a LC cake. I didn't like it either. It tasted like raw cheesecake batter instead of cream cheese frosting. I whipped in an extra half a stick of butter and made something more like buttercream frosting instead.

When I make the pumpkin bars, I will either use a different frosting recipe or add extra butter again.

Raine'sMom Fri, Oct-12-07 07:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimesTwo
I haven't made the bars, but I made the icing with just vanilla extract to top a LC cake. I didn't like it either. It tasted like raw cheesecake batter instead of cream cheese frosting. I whipped in an extra half a stick of butter and made something more like buttercream frosting instead.

When I make the pumpkin bars, I will either use a different frosting recipe or add extra butter again.


Extra butter! That's a great idea! If I attempt to make it again, I will do that.

iumali Sun, Oct-14-07 16:18

WOW... And for those using stevia, I used 6 tsp of the bulk kind from TJ's.

Citruskiss Mon, Nov-19-07 10:24

just bumping this fabulous recipe...

:)

ElleH Sun, Apr-20-08 16:53

Here's a picture of my effort today, made in an 8x8 pan, b/c I like thicker bars. This recipe is just divine. It is almost perfect.


You can see a bigger picture in my gallery. I can't figure out how to embed the larger one.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:17.

Copyright © 2000-2020 Active Low-Carber Forums @ forum.lowcarber.org
Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.