Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Main dishes (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Deep Dish Pizza Quiche (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=44087)

Stylus Wed, Feb-15-06 11:55

Ok, here's a question that I hope someone can answer: I would love to try this but as I'm not from the US, I need to know if Pepperoni is the same thing as Salami? I know it's a lunch meat and a common topping for Pizza, but we have nothing called that in this country.....

Thanks! :wave:

penelope Wed, Feb-15-06 15:46

I always use Salami, I don't like pepperoni that much.

vixen69 Sun, Feb-19-06 14:04

Karen,

pepperoni is a spicier version of salami and smaller in size. You can use salami or ham. Not sure where you're from so I can't give you specific examples.

Stylus Sun, Feb-19-06 15:14

I live in South Africa. :wave: We have a smaller, spicier version of salami here called cabanossi. I wonder if that is similar to pepperoni? Anyway, I tried this tonight and it was yum, only problem is that I didn't have any parmesan cheese, so it was a little softer than it could have been perhaps.... I used mushrooms for a topping.

HalfPass Mon, Feb-20-06 04:15

I found a close variation of this recipe in a low carb magazine and have had it sitting on the counter to try till yesterday, when I finally made it YUMMY!!!!!!! It was wonderful. The recipe that I used was two servings at 6 carbs each..I ate the whole thing!!!! Next time I am going to try it with spinach and feta cheese on top. This was super easy and I think it will quickly become a stape at my house. This is a great substitute for the low carb pizza I used to occassionally buy at the health food store..only it tastes better and the portion size is better. If you love pizza and have not tried this recipe..TRY IT..you are in for a happy surprise!!!

vixen69 Tue, Feb-21-06 09:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylus
I live in South Africa. :wave: We have a smaller, spicier version of salami here called cabanossi. I wonder if that is similar to pepperoni? Anyway, I tried this tonight and it was yum, only problem is that I didn't have any parmesan cheese, so it was a little softer than it could have been perhaps.... I used mushrooms for a topping.

It's probably pretty close to pepperoni. Maybe try using another harder cheese in lieu of parmesan. I grew up in Europe and we had Edam cheese which is harder than a chedder but not as hard as the parmesan. But any harder cheese will do. Also, I mix olives or mushrooms into the batter to make the crust. Sometimes I eat it just like that (more like a quiche) and othertimes, I still pile on the toppings.

Always wanted to go South Africa. I'm going to Tanzania next year to climb Killimanjaro and I can't wait. :D

Stylus Tue, Feb-21-06 11:14

Thanks Vixen - will try the edam cheese instead if I don't have the parmesan. i also like your tip about mixing the toppings into the crust.

Hope you have a great time climbing Kilamanjaro - you are brave!

vixen69 Wed, Feb-22-06 09:25

Thanks Karen! I sure will. My mother thinks I'm crazy for wanting to do this, especially since I'm no longer in my 20s. I say life is short, try different things. :)

Have fun experimenting. One other thing I forgot to mention is that you may want to cut down on the egg or whipping cream just a bit to make the crust a little firmer since you don't have the parmesan and I don't know how much firmer the crust will be with Edam cheese. Not much, maybe 1/2 egg less or table spoon less of whipping cream. I've done this before also when I ran out of ingredients and it works just fine, especially if you add olives or mushrooms into the crust.

wangeci Wed, Feb-22-06 12:00

Also, you can use any meat topping you like, it does not need to be salami or pepperoni, I fry hamburger up and season it a bit and use that on my deep dish pizza, it is soooooo yummy!!!
Cindy

montanasun Fri, Feb-24-06 11:00

I made this last night because I wanted pizza so bad. This is so good!! I did put more cheese on top then the recipe called for because I didn't read it right.

FrecklFluf Wed, Jul-19-06 15:23

Ooh, I was hoping I'd find this still here. Donald will be a hero forever just for this one recipe. Now I must scoot to the store. :)

skinnyRay Tue, Jul-25-06 18:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylus

Hi Stylus
salami is a lot larger than cabonossi or pepperoni but essentially tastes similar to pepperoni. i live in south australia and we have mettwurst which is like salami. I'm sure you have it but it's just called another name. Think of pepperoni but about 2 inches in diameter

egnue Fri, Aug-11-06 18:15

OMG!!!!!!!!! I just made and ate it. All I can say is WoW and well done!!

Super yummy!!! Several meals of leftovers!!

You are the best cook ever hugs to you!!

Yum yum!!!
Gen

finally something new!!

any guess on carb count?

ISO~Me Sun, Sep-03-06 14:40

Yum

Had my husband make this. It is very good. I was skeptical at first, but believe me, you will LOVE it! We did the tradiational pizza toppings and we also made one and topped it with alfredo sauce, chicken and broccoli. Very good staple for ANY low carb diet!

angelpie06 Tue, Sep-12-06 15:53

I've made this three times now, and my husband (who does not LC and is in fact on a mission to find the perfect glazed doughnut) thinks it is absolutely fantabulous! And the ever-so-picky young adults in the household give it an enthusiastic two thumbs up. I have to make a double recipe to feed us all.

And perhaps best of all, it saves my LC sanity, because I have always adored pizza!