Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Karen's Corner (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Karen's Pannacotta (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=375487)

bizgen Sat, Jun-14-08 09:29

Karen's Pannacotta

It says that her pannacotta is 57 carbs. I don't see how it can be! I tried to 'discuss this recipe' with karen and I got a message to say that I did not have permission to use that link. Does anyone know why?

doreen T Sat, Jun-14-08 09:43

hi there,

Regarding Karen's Panna Cotta recipe, the carb count of 57 grams is for the whole recipe. Divided into 6 servings, there are 7.55 g carbs each.

hth,

Doreen

bizgen Sat, Jun-14-08 09:46

Karen's Pannacotta

But the recipe is only water, gelatine, whipping cream, vanilla and Splenda! I can't see that quantity of carbs in there!

doreen T Sat, Jun-14-08 10:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizgen
But the recipe is only water, gelatine, whipping cream, vanilla and Splenda! I can't see that quantity of carbs in there!

Good point!

I think I see the problem ... at the end of the recipe instructions, it says
Quote:
... Remove the ramekin and spoon the berries over the top. Serve immediately.
I suspect the recipe originally included berries, but those were omitted from the ingredients list. The berries would account for the higher carbs.

As written, the ingredients add up to 32 grams carb for the whole recipe (12 g for the splenda powder, 19.8 g for the cream, trace for the vanilla) ... or 5.6 grams per serving.

Doreen

bizgen Sat, Jun-14-08 10:26

You're brilliant! Thank you so much!

ragtopgirl Mon, Jun-16-08 08:29

where is karen? havent seen her post in a long time

Nancy LC Mon, Jun-16-08 10:57

I am glad someone posted this. I decided to give the recipe a shot.

BetsyJ64 Mon, Jun-16-08 12:45

I've made the Atkins Panna Cotta many times and it always comes out perfectly - the recipe is almost identical to Karen's - it just uses less cream than hers. The coconut version is my favorite!

kaavie Sun, Apr-19-09 21:47

thanks! this recipe is great

1annewil Wed, Apr-29-09 13:58

I made this today and it is simply delicious. Thanks! Anne

lilozzi Sat, Jul-04-09 07:03

This sounds delicious. The only thing missing from my kitchen is a vanilla bean. Will be adding this to my list for tomorrows shopping. Can't wait to try it out.

IheartRoxy Mon, Oct-30-17 21:35

Ooohh, I love panna cotta. My bf loves making it too, so I should show him this recipe.

Bonnie OFS Thu, Apr-05-18 18:15

I have a slightly different recipe - makes a bit less which is good as there are only 2 of us. I've always used vanilla, but have you seen the price??? Yikes. Anyway, I decided to try orange extract. Oh, my - it is lovely!

I also tried almond, but as much as I like almond in other things, it didn't taste quite right. Tho I think it would be good if I had fruit to go over it.

JLx Sun, Apr-15-18 10:37

Quote:
I have a slightly different recipe - makes a bit less which is good as there are only 2 of us.

What is your recipe, please?

Bonnie OFS Sun, Apr-15-18 11:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLx
What is your recipe, please?

Here it is! I don't remember where I got the original recipe, but I fiddled with it because I wanted to be able to use a whole envelope of gelatin instead of measuring out 1/2 of it. This is great with berries or rhubarb (which is just now poking out of the ground - I can't wait!).

Panna Cotta – low carb
makes 5 1/2-cup servings

1/4 cup cold water
1 envelope unsweetened gelatin powder (a bit over 2 teaspoons)
1/4 cup boiling water
2 cups heavy cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract or more to taste (or other flavoring)
sugar substitute equal to 1/4 cup sugar (like liquid sucralose) or to taste
pinch salt

Sprinkle the gelatin powder on the cold water and let soften for several minutes. Then add the boiling water and stir until gelatin is totally dissolved.

Combine dissolved gelatin with the rest of the ingredients. Stir to mix completely, and taste. Adjust flavors to your liking.

Pour mixture into custard cups, ramekins, or glasses. Chill completely – it will take 3 to 4 hours until completely set.

NOTE - I use just 1 squirt of liquid sucralose (Apriva) & that's plenty sweet enough.