Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Success Stories (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Rachelle's Story (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=188224)

Rachelle Mon, May-31-04 19:07

Rachelle's Story

2 Attachment(s)
I started Atkin's in July of 2003.

I had never been on a true "diet" before starting Atkin's the summer of '03.
I was very active during High School (soccer and volleyball player) I would eat just about anything I wanted and would stay pretty fit.
When I graduated from Highschool I began to work in a bar environment and got into some very heavy drug use and began drinking regularly.
Needless to say certain drugs will speed up your metabolism... which is what happened for me. I lost down to about 105lbs. and maintained there. I was not healthy and I'm sure lost a lot of muscle along with fat. I continued on that path for about 2 yrs maybe a bit longer.

I finally decided to better my life and I gave up drugs. Which was very hard for me. Along with that being hard in itself.. I also began to gain weight very rapidly. I went up to about 155-160lbs. within about a 6 month period of time. I went from a size 0/3 to a size 14/16. I was devistated, as I had not changed my eating habits at all...

I tried not eating/ starvation..
I tried low-fat..
I tried Slim fast (LOL)

I was so frustrated that nothing seemed to work.. I even considered going back to my old routine (cocaine & eating once every 3 days)
I knew that was not the answer... i wanted something better for my life.

I then started hearing about Atkin's from a co-worker. She gave me the book and I began to read it. We did the buddy system and both started the Induction phase of the program.
I did not have very fast results in the first 2 weeks. I didn't give up though.. and thought if anything i was "feeling" thinner... I continued Induction for about 3 months and then progressed to OWL (On Going Weight Loss). My weight loss has continued on that path.. very slow and steady. But as I've been reminded time and time again.. it is a WAY OF LIFE.. not a quick fix/ fad diet.

I stayed true to the book and was in search of some new recipes.
That is when I stumbled across this site in about September of '03. I had never been to a forum of any kind so I had no idea what this place was.. other than a place to find recipes.

Well as the weight continued to slowly drop.. I started to find advice and friends on this board that helped me stick with the diet.

I plan to stay Lowcarb for the rest of my life. I would have to say that this site and The Atkin's Diet can possibly be credited to saving my life. I was at a very weak spot where I almost gave up.. and the support system here and the book that opened my eyes (Dr. Atkin's New Diet Revolution) kept me in line..

Here are some pictures... a true before picture that has not made it into my gallery yet.. and a IN PROGRESS picture of me now.
I still have a few pounds that i'd like to lose.. but for the most part i'm very satisfied with my success.

Thank you all for being there for me.. even when you didn't necessarily know what i was going through or who I was. I appreciate it more than you will ever know or understand :)

danakins Mon, May-31-04 19:14

Wow, Rachelle! I wasn't aware of your journey to this place. You are truly inspirational. I'm so glad you are here. You are such a beauty inside and out!

Thanks for sharing,

KC Ramone Mon, May-31-04 22:00

Wow--I also had no idea of what you've been through! Glad to see you're on the road to success (oh wait, you're pretty much there!). I wish you much happiness in the future. Thanks for being another inspiration. You go girl!
:)

christirox Mon, May-31-04 23:22

Thanks so much for sharing your story with us. You look absolutely amazing and you really are an inspiration.

~Christi

SummerYet Tue, Jun-01-04 05:06

Ra-

Thanks so much for sharing your story with us. You ARE an inspiration and I am sure your story will help many. You are a very strong woman. Thank you.

~Michelle

cartmanis Tue, Jun-01-04 05:38

Wow.

I'd have to say you were a beautiful girl in your before pics, but what an amazing change in your after. What a hottie.

Congratz!.

Trainerdan Tue, Jun-01-04 05:56

Rachelle,

I think it is fantastic that you shared your story with everyone.

It takes a special kind of person to open themselves up like that to help others and show them that you CAN overcome huge obstacles and not resort back to "using" for weight loss.

Congratulations on your success ... and continued success since I know you are still looking to push it farther ... Even though you are "hawwwwt" now. ;) You're amazing.

:heart:
Dan

bonesigh Tue, Jun-01-04 10:10

Thanks for sharing your inspiring story Rachelle! :)

BTW, you were still a doll in the "before" photo. :)

:)

bigguyjonc Tue, Jun-01-04 10:39

hello sweet Chelle,

I of course knew your story but i think it really takes courage to put that out there dan is right. I am sooo proud of you! Big hugs! :bhug:
you are such a winner and inspiration in my book.

:wave:

becaboos Tue, Jun-01-04 10:48

Yay Rachelle.. you are awesome.

You are such an inspiration.

Hugs
Boo

AFwife Tue, Jun-01-04 12:53

Rachelle,

I'm so very proud of you. You are a true inspiration.

BIG HUG for ya babe.

Muaahhh!

Bugspit Tue, Jun-01-04 13:33

Hey baby doll,

Your story is a great success story, looks like in a way we have both traveled the same path. Not necessally the same steps, but at least the same road. Maybe thats why I always like being a part of your journal. Your stength is your beauty inside. I know times get tough and i wish I could always be there to give you the hug that we all sometimes need. You are a very special young lady and Im glad you are doing great. Just remember you always have a friend in California that cares for you a lot. Once again great job and keep it up.

red1cutie Tue, Jun-01-04 13:34

Hi Rachelle! Thanks taking the time to share your story. It takes a lot of courage to open up like that.

Good luck on the rest of your journey.

Be safe.
red

ManoOPUS Tue, Jun-01-04 14:51

hiya beautiful!!!

that's a truly inspiring story!!! it shows courage, will-power and sheer determination, characteristics of a champion! and you definitely are a champ in my book!!! :D

hugs and kisses, Manolo ;)

Kristine Tue, Jun-01-04 15:49

Rachelle,

:bhug: What can I say that hasn't already been said? I'm really happy for you and your success. :thup: :thup: You made a really good decision when you decided to go LC, and you continued stay committed even though the loss was slow at times. You're a fantastic example.

Much continued success!