Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Main dishes (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Crockpot Roast Sticky Chicken (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=25060)

Raydie Thu, Nov-08-01 11:30

Crockpot Roast Sticky Chicken

Here's a yummy recipe that i found that i have marinating for tomorrow evening that sounds Oh so yummy!!

Crockpot Roast Sticky Chicken
4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. white pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 large roasting chicken
(NOTE: I didn't have any white pepper so i used a total of 1 tsp. black pepper instead)

In a small bowl, thoroughly combine all the spices. Remove giblets from chicken, clean the cavity well and pat dry with paper towels. Rub the spice mixture into the chicken, both inside and out, making sure it is evenly distributed and down deep into the skin. Place in a resealable plastic bag, seal and refrigerate overnight. When ready to cook, put the bird into the crockpot and do not add any liquid. As the cooking process goes on it will
produce it's own juices. Cook on low 8 - 10 hours and it will be falling off the bone tender.

itsjoyful Thu, Nov-08-01 11:55

dumb question

you take it out of the bag before you put it in the crock pot, right?
:)

Raydie Thu, Nov-08-01 13:15

Oopsies! Yes, take it out of the bag and place it in the crockpot...sorry! :)

alto Sun, Nov-11-01 18:26

Great recipe! -- thank you, Raydie :)

I made this today -- with a few substitutions. I used 8 chicken thighs instead of a whole chicken; a whole chicken won't fit in my crockpot. This worked fine, but reduce cooking time. By 8 hours, I would have had only a puddle and some bones left :) I also didn't have either thyme or onion powder. Details, details :)

Anyway, it's very spicy, it fell off the bones as advertized, and I'm vary grateful for the recipe. I've been eating bland, creamy things, and this was a nice break!

THANK YOU, RAYDIE :)

Raydie Mon, Nov-12-01 07:34

You are quite welcome alto! I LOVE this recipe and plan on using it when we do Xmas turkey! It is definitely delicious. I have some thighs and breasts in the freezer that i am going to use it on too. It is also delicious cold!

:roll:

Heeligan2 Sat, Nov-17-01 19:06

Another version

I have made this crock pot sticky chicken and it is very good. There is a non-crock pot version for those whose crock pots won't hold a large roaster. You just put it uncovered in a roasting pan, put a cup of chopped onions in the cavity (you don't eat these) and roast at 250 degrees for about 5 hours, basting occasionally. The spices are basically the same. This recipe is from Paul Prudhomme. His theory is that using both white and black peppers adds complexity.

The version made in the oven rather than the crockpot is even more delicious in my opinion -- it is one of my favorites, and so easy.

andysbunny Sat, May-04-02 15:49

sticky chicken

I also have made this recipe for YEARS in the oven, and my DH absolutely craves it. :D We both love it from the oven because of the wonderful crispy skin it gets. And yes, it is a bit spicy. The dripping make great soup stock, but don't try to make any gravy from it unless you want it to burn all the way down and out!!! :eek:

I make up 10 lbs of leg quarters at a time ( on sale, $.27 a lb!) and freeze in dinner-with-lunch-leftovers sized portions. It is so easy to do in the oven, I have never thought of using my crockpot. I guess the skin won't get as crispy, but it will still be yummy! ;)

alto Sat, May-04-02 18:16

The skin doesn't get crispy -- but what a nice thought! I'll try it in the oven -- thanks. I'm a slapdash cook, and it never occurred to me that the texture of food would be different in a crockpot. (Yeah, I know, dumb dumb)

catinhat Sun, Jun-09-02 22:23

Well, I didn't have thyme, so I used basil. I didn't have a whole chicken, but I had skinless chicken thighs. I soaked the chicken in water with some salt substitute (potassium) for a few hours in the fridge. I patted them dry, sprinkled them with all the herbs, then cooked them on the gas grill - delicious!! Thank you very much for the idea, even though I did something somewhat different!!
-Catinhat :wave:

TriciaW Fri, Jan-10-03 14:29

WOW-perfect LC food!

Thank you so much for posting this! I made this yesterday and it turned out great! It literally fell of the bone--after cooking I boned it and shredded it and mixed the juices back in with the meat. Now I have a tupperware full of shredded seasoned chicken meat! Very economical. I will be making this a lot!

Candiflip Tue, Sep-30-03 12:45

Thank you so much for posting this recipe! My husband & I both enjoy it! :p

momx6 Sat, Oct-25-03 08:12

Hi Raydie, loved your recipe! Do you have any other crock pot recipes? I'm having a hard time finding any for low carb recipes. Thanks again! It was delicious!

KarenMT Sun, Oct-26-03 08:07

Crockpot Sticky Chicken

I've made this recipe twice now, only using whole cut-up chicken. The second time, I did two chickens since, cut up, they fit in my pot, AND, we had company for dinner!. We love it and so did the company! Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe!

Karen
in Montana

Kristine Thu, Nov-13-03 17:36

Hot dang, this is some good chicken! I made it in the oven with drumsticks. I baked it at about 300 F for just over two hours. Another recipe recommended 5 hours at 200, but I didn't have that much time. ;) I just kept an eye on it with a meat thermometer.

It was a tad too salty for me, but I'll just cut back next time. :thup:

cheftracy Thu, Nov-13-03 19:52

I was a Personal Chef for a few years and this was a top recipe for many clients. Easy for us too ;)

Tracy