Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Ketogenic Diet and Chronic Pain (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=481706)

JEY100 Wed, Dec-12-18 07:30

Ketogenic Diet and Chronic Pain

Good link from DietDoctor to a three part blog on chronic pain relief.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/is-a-ket...l-pain-reliever

SilverEm Wed, May-29-19 08:34

Janet, thanks for posting that. I have found that a ketogenic diet reduces pain, and nerve irritation.

It's really nice to see that the word is getting passed on to more and more people. :)

Ms Arielle Fri, Aug-09-19 22:05

I will second this.

Most recently I seem to control chronic back pain by staying OP, that is, sticking to vlc.

Years ago my achy wrist reminded me I'd had a few too many carbs ..... these days apparently it is well healed and doesnt work as a reminder Im off plan.... now my back has that job.

Honestly, its the difference of living on the couch versus living in the garden and keeping house.

JEY100 Sat, Aug-10-19 05:18

I've been sharing this article often, because the common comment is that since low carb my (fill in the blank, wrist, shoulder, lower back, some non-weight bearing joint) is better. At Tuesday's support group a woman who was bed-ridden three years ago, is now working a chicken and vegetable farm! From her bed, to walker, to cane to walking and working in a garden.

Ms Arielle Sat, Aug-10-19 08:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
I've been sharing this article often, because the common comment is that since low carb my (fill in the blank, wrist, shoulder, lower back, some non-weight bearing joint) is better. At Tuesday's support group a woman who was bed-ridden three years ago, is now working a chicken and vegetable farm! From her bed, to walker, to cane to walking and working in a garden.

Wow, I can TOTALLY relate!!! Though I used crutches, just because I had them.

Kristine Sat, Aug-10-19 09:03

I don't doubt that there could be a specific connection to the action of ketones in the brain, but I think they'd be missing the mark by not acknowledging reducing the massive amounts of inflammatory substances in the SAD - namely grains and seed oils. I think this is why most people see such an improvement in many conditions when they first start out, even if they're not LC enough to be in ketosis.

I've had to experiment with tightening my food choices over the last year, after an ongoing battle with chronic tendinitis in my shoulder. As much as I'd like it not to be true, foods that I thought I could get away with? Corn and rice here and there, ample mayo and commercial salad dressings? Well, let's just say I don't get away with them anymore.

s93uv3h Sun, Aug-11-19 01:03

Great article - thanks.

I recently had my CRP taken and was happily surprised:

C-Reactive Protein 0.19 mg/L
(SEE-INTERP)
Lab Type: CHEMISTRY
Date/Time Collected: 25 Jul 2019 ~ 1745
Notes: The CDC/AHA recommended the following hsCRP cut-off points (tertiles) for CVD risk assessment: hsCRP level (mg/L) Relative Risk 1.0 Low; 1.0-3.0 Average; >3.0 High; Consensus reference interval for adults: For evaluation of inflammatory conditions the consensus reference interval: <5.0 mg/L
Comments: none
Certified Date: 25 Jul 2019
Specimen: PLASMA

Ms Arielle Sun, Aug-11-19 07:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
I don't doubt that there could be a specific connection to the action of ketones in the brain, but I think they'd be missing the mark by not acknowledging reducing the massive amounts of inflammatory substances in the SAD - namely grains and seed oils. I think this is why most people see such an improvement in many conditions when they first start out, even if they're not LC enough to be in ketosis.

I've had to experiment with tightening my food choices over the last year, after an ongoing battle with chronic tendinitis in my shoulder. As much as I'd like it not to be true, foods that I thought I could get away with? Corn and rice here and there, ample mayo and commercial salad dressings? Well, let's just say I don't get away with them anymore.

I can trigger pain by eating too many carbs from good sources like veggies, nuts, and usual lc fare.

Having read Wheat Belly, grains are toxic to humans.

Ms Arielle Sun, Aug-11-19 07:48

S9.... wow..... keep it up!!