Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Schwarzbein Principle (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   FEEDBACK--No-Carb Cheese Crisps Snack YUM! (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=54570)

TheBetty Tue, Aug-06-02 13:29

FEEDBACK--No-Carb Cheese Crisps Snack YUM!

Hi everyone, :wave:

I just posted this in my journal, but I thought it would be of interest here, and would like to start a discussion on it.
~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

I had heard of this before using American cheese slices put in the microwave until they are crispy. But I thought I'd try it with real cheese slices in the oven on my now bannished Silpat non-stick cookie sheet protectors. Yes, those things Martha Stewart uses (they worked wonderfully for all the cookies I USED to make, so I figured they should work well on burnt cheese, too). Besides, I paid like $15 a piece for 2 of them and hated to see them wasting away in my now defunct cookie & cake baking tools section of my kitchen. :lol:

Anyway, I had a few bags of pre-sliced Trader Joe's cheese in the fridge that were getting close to their magic moldy date, so I used them. The cheeses were colby-jack blend, a pepper jack, and 2 slices of the wonderful Jarlsberg swiss (yummy folks--try it).

So, I took my not-used-in 6-months jelly roll pan and put the Silpat in it. Laid 6 slices of cheese on it and stuck it in a preheated 400 degree oven for about 7-10 minutes. I kept watching after 5 mintues to make sure the cheese got crispy but not burnt to dark brown-ness!

After about 7 or so minutes, the cheese was getting browned but not yucky-burned, so I removed them just when they had changed to a uniform brown-ness, and put them on a cooling rack.

They got CRISPY FAST! They slid right off the Silpat surface, which was a blessing.

Taste test: REALLY GOOD! They are so neat, for lack of better word. The saltiness intensifies, they are incredibly crunchy, and best of all, they are no-carb, straight-up protein snack! :thup:

And here's a detail you may appreciate knowing: they stay crispy when kept in a Ziploc bag, and no need to refrigerate, just like when you buy cheese bread--it doesn't need to be fridged.

So, now, go and make some! I like the Jalsberg best because it tastes so different. They sell Jarlsberg slices at Costco pretty cheap. It's a great way to have a hi-pro snack when you are sick of string cheese, or can't take something refrigerated with you.

I wonder if they would be good crumbled up on a salad, a sort of pseudo-crouton?

Or how about crumbled on top of a baked potato (or half a potato for those of us eating small amounts of carbs at our meals)?

Crumbled in scrambled eggs? The list goes on and on, I guess. Well, I hope someone else here tries this and likes it, or has tried it before and likes it and reports interesting tips and tricks/feedback out it. Cheese Crisps = Yum. :D
~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

What do you think? Tried these? --Betty

carberrys Thu, Aug-08-02 18:14

missed the microwave version...

Sounds great...I'd like to try to microwave version; where could I find it?

TheBetty Thu, Aug-08-02 18:56

Carberrys,
I don't know where I saw it or heard it. :( Could have been a ton of different places. I would suggest trying the recipes section that is in the link above in the orange strip near the top of this page. Could have been in the snacks section.

Otherwise, try experimenting in your microwave one slice at a time. Maybe on wax or parchment paper?? Let us know how it turns out, too. :)

An update on the cheese crisps I made. I still have 3 of them here and they are still crispy in their ziploc bag. They are great for snacks when you don't have something to take with you. I still like the Jarlsberg best. The cheddar is too salty, which I thought was a good thing when I first made them, but now, the saltiness is a turnoff. Oh well.

My only problem is that I am trying to cut back on the amount of aged cheeses I eat, so I won't eat these more than once or twice a week. I would rather use my aged cheese allotment on the roquefort dressing I make for salad.

carberrys Thu, Aug-08-02 20:24

found it!

"Cheese puffs" under reader's recipes. Thanks. :D

Flamingo Fri, Aug-09-02 10:00

Hi Betty:

I love your idea.

Here's another one:

I've taken goat cheese and sliced it thinly,placed it in a small frying pan then heated it on the stove until it's golden and melty. No need for oil or anything. The oils in the cheese keep it from sticking. Tastes just like the OPA! cheese you have at Greek restaurants. Yummmm.

Susan

TheBetty Fri, Aug-09-02 11:37

carberrys, glad you found it! :)

Susan, this is interesting. I do have some goat cheese in the fridge that's in need of being used before it dies (unless it's dead already!). :lol:

I've never been to aa Geek restaurant, so I don't know what OPAs are. I just want to clarify: I fry it til it's golden, then what? Do I need to let it rest on a rack, or eat it soggy? Is it supposed to be crispy like the GReek ones? Thanks for the help, would like to try, espppecially since it's a soft cheese treat, not aged, right?

:)

TheBetty Fri, Aug-09-02 11:39

Ooops! Make that GREEK restaurant, not Geek. Wow, the typos run amuck for me today. Sorry bout that. :D

Flamingo Fri, Aug-09-02 12:17

Betty:

It's easier that you think. I slice the cheese on the diagonal 'cause the shape is kinda low and flat. Put the pieces in a small frying pan (mine is a no-stick), put it on medium heat and it will get a little bubbly as the water comes out but watch it and let it get a little melty and light golden brown. You can flip it to get both sides golden. Might take about 7-8 minutes - but I never clocked it.

In the greek restaurants, they broil a similar type of cheese on a metal steak plate then the waiter brings it to your table very hot, pours a shot of vodka on it and lights it with a match. As it flames up all of the other patrons yell OPA! I think it's greek for cheers or good health. When the flame dies down they put fresh lemon juice over the cheese. They serve it with squishy greek bread - but who needs the bread anymore? Just gimme the cheese!!!

Enjoy!

TheBetty Fri, Aug-09-02 12:32

Susan, thanks for the details. I'll try it as long as the date on the cheese is not too far past. I figure, if I'm cooking, that gives me an addition few weeks, since I'm cooking the bacteria out, right? :lol:

I'll let you know how it goes. If I can't use this old log of goat cheese, I'll buy a new log next week when I shop again. Sounds really good, even w/o the vodka ;) (and bread).

DebPenny Fri, Aug-09-02 17:38

We used to make cheese crisps when I was on WW in the 1970s.

They're good!

;-Deb

skyspinner Sun, Aug-11-02 18:41

Quote:
Originally posted by TheBetty
(snip)

I do have some goat cheese in the fridge that's in need of being used before it dies (unless it's dead already!). :lol:

(snip)

With goat's cheese, how on earth would you tell?????

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Flamingo Mon, Aug-12-02 07:52

The Betty:

Hope your experiment worked. I realized over the weekend that there are lots of kinds of goat cheese. Hope the kind you have worked.

I tried the Jarlsberg in my little fry pan and it worked very well and it was quick, too.

Susan

skyspinner Mon, Aug-12-02 11:10

More Fried Cheese!

Just this morning I was watching "Tipical Mary Ellen" on TV, and she was showing how to make cheese fritters! Great minds run in similar channels, they say...

She took a small handful of shredded Parmesan, moistened it w/ just a tiny bit of water to get it to hang together, shaped it into a little patty about 2" in diameter, then fried it to golden brown on both sides in about a tablespoon of olive oil. She garnished w/ a bit of fresh basil leaf. Sounds good! :)

dizzy Mon, Aug-12-02 13:58

parmesan chips and croutons

I tried this recipe from Suzanne Somers' book - it was pretty good, took a lot of trial and error, but satisfied that craving for "salty crunchy munchy."

ingredients - 1/2 cup of freshly shredded parmesan cheese

heat an 8 inch nonstick saute pan over low to medium heat. Sprinkle half of the cheese evenly in pan, making a "pancake." Leave pancake for 2-3 minutes until melted and flip with spatula (this is the tricky part - it tends to fold into itself). Remove from pan and cut while still warm into chips (with very shapr knife). To make the croutons you wrap the pancake while still warm around the handle of a wooden sppon and then remove it and flatten the log with your hand and cut into squares (about 1 inch).

I haven't tried it with any other types of cheese, but think I will soon. :p

TheBetty Mon, Aug-12-02 14:20

Flamingo, I was gone most of the weekend and didn't get a chance to check out the goat cheese. I plan to try it today if the cheese isn't old and moldy. :lol:

It's in a tube like package with brown label, chevre or something. As soon as I try it out, I'll post the results here. :)

Dizzy, that's a great trick, would be a nice snack for company, or to take to a potluck!

Skyspinner, :lol:.

Actually with goat cheese, since it's white, you'd see the mold. As for how it tastes, good question! It's a really strong flavor, which is why it has sat in the fridge unopened for a few months. :lol: I suppose if it were "dead" that it would bark at me. :lol::lol:

Oh, I gotta stop, it's painful.