Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   TOF's (The Over Fifty's) (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Loose skin issues (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=462446)

jmh6251 Sun, Sep-07-14 12:47

Loose skin issues

Now that I have lost a significant amount on my tummy, thighs, and arms I have noticed a bunch of loose skin. I wonder if it will tighten up in time :q: :idea:

jmh6251 Mon, Sep-08-14 21:11

I have measured the loose skin, I think i would actually be in a smaller size if my skin would tighten up

JAnn Tue, Sep-09-14 09:38

At over 50, I have to wonder the same thing. My arms are getting flabby and the only hope I can see is to build up muscle to replace the fat loss.

Nancy LC Tue, Sep-09-14 13:31

Yeah... I have no idea. Dealing with the flabby arms myself. Those just showed up over night, it seems like!

jmh6251 Tue, Sep-09-14 17:35

Well I guess, the loose skin on my stomach and thighs can be covered up, maybe I will have to do the same with the arms.

Maori Tue, Sep-09-14 20:12

i treat mine as battle scars but mine are easily covered.

LilyB Tue, Sep-09-14 21:46

Dry brushing techniques?

leemack Wed, Sep-10-14 06:23

also cocoa butter is supposed to be good for loose skin - not sure how well it works - meant to be best in combination with dry brushing.

jmh6251 Wed, Sep-10-14 08:05

I make my own bath soap and use Coconut Milk, I wonder if it does the same thing? So far no skin tightening LOL

Judynyc Wed, Sep-10-14 08:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh6251
I make my own bath soap and use Coconut Milk, I wonder if it does the same thing? So far no skin tightening LOL

In my experience, due to my age and amount of weight lost, I don't expect to see my skin tighten unless I go for surgery. I waited the 1-2 yrs after and it never did happen.
If I could afford to have surgery, I'd do it in a heart beat. I try to dress accordingly and also work on not obsessing about it. :daze: :lol:

Luckyk26 Wed, Sep-10-14 09:24

I have this problem too. I still see some tightening, but being heavy my entire life I'm not holding much hope for it. I've already researched surgeries and once I hit goal and maintain for awhile I'm definitely doing it - don't care what it costs - I've earned it!

lovinita Wed, Sep-10-14 09:41

Right now I been loosing my weight for about 1.5 years. And alot of it. For me it won't come back with out surgery.

What is starting to happen, I guess it is more like the skin is deflated and becoming more flattened but it doesn't go back to a normal size. But it will always be hanging, loose ect...

Judynyc Wed, Sep-10-14 10:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinita
Right now I been loosing my weight for about 1.5 years. And alot of it. For me it won't come back with out surgery.

What is starting to happen, I guess it is more like the skin is deflated and becoming more flattened but it doesn't go back to a normal size. But it will always be hanging, loose ect...

Your surgery may be covered by insurance due to its being a health issue. :idea:

jmh6251 Thu, Sep-11-14 08:04

I hate to go under the knife, and it looks like I may lose health insurance coverage for awhile until I can get medicare, so I guess I will have to live with mine. (LOL)

Desert Mo Sun, Sep-20-15 17:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAnn
At over 50, I have to wonder the same thing. My arms are getting flabby and the only hope I can see is to build up muscle to replace the fat loss.

I agree. After a certain age (don't know which one) the skin doesn't snap back with weight loss. Skin gets flabby with wt loss, but most of the areas where there's flab there's also muscle. I read somewhere that after age 50, people lose a certain % of muscle tissue regularly, so if the sort of exercise one is doing isn't working to develop some muscle tone in thighs & upper arms & (yes) the abs, then it's gonna be droop city by the time you're my age (70). Doesn't mean there won't still be some flabbiness, just less of it than there'd be without persistent exercise of the sort that develops muscle tone. ~~ mo