Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   TOF's (The Over Fifty's) (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Ladies and Gentlemen over 60 New Thread (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=461794)

jmh6251 Wed, Jul-23-14 08:06

Ladies and Gentlemen over 60 New Thread

I decided since our moderator thought we should have a new thread, that I would start it. I really enjoy this thread, because we can deal with things that younger people wouldn't necessarily. We can admit when our joints hurt, or we just don't feel good. There are days that are worse then others for us. We can admit when we have gone off plan a little and get support. So I hope we continue. Hope you start feeling better N2L. That really sucks being tired all the time. I have days when I can't shake the pain and the tiredness either. The trouble with the grocery stores of today is that they are so big. When you are getting up in years a little, it gets overwhelming. I agree that it is hard to stay on track when you are faced with all kinds of nummy food. I have such a carb tooth that it takes all my willpower to stay on track sometimes. I hope everyone has a fabulous day :wave: :)

Chanteyl Wed, Jul-23-14 11:45

New place.

I have had a tension headache all night and day, on and off. Extreme pain. I wasn't able to do anything today.

jmh6251 Wed, Jul-23-14 14:46

Well lets hope it lets up soon. That is really miserable. Last couple of days, especially Sunday and Monday I had face pain. Short intense stabbing pain. It let up finally on Tuesday so I sympathize with you.

bugujo Wed, Jul-23-14 20:29

I am back from vacation as of a few hours ago. I will catch up on posts tomorrow.

Chanteyl Thu, Jul-24-14 11:40

Welcome home Bug. Hope you had a nice time.

I think I need to start sleeping better. I sleep in the daytime and I'm awake all night. Don't know how to get out of this cycle.

Chanteyl Fri, Jul-25-14 09:46

I would like to start doing a little exercise, like very small walks or something. My hip hurts when I walk. My DM had hip replacement surgery and I think I may need it too. Once she had the surgery she was never able to walk right again.

Swimming might be a good exercise if it was higher temps outside. Maybe I should check out exercise for invalids.

jmh6251 Fri, Jul-25-14 10:16

Welcome home Bugujo!!!!! I drink Ginger tea and it helps the pain a little, along with tumeric. I'm a big sissy and I avoid surgery if I can. My DH got his knee replaced and contracted Mersa. I always remember that, it probably doesn't make sense, but I was the one who had to infuse him with antibiotics 3 times a day. So it scared me off of ever having the procedure done myself. Feel better soon

bugujo Fri, Jul-25-14 12:51

Thanks guys. It was an awesome, but tiring vacation. We went to TX and enjoyed time with my son. We ventured to Austin, San Antonio (spent the night) and to Galveston on the way home. We stayed a night in Shreveport, LA just to say we were there LOL and on to northern AR before home.

I wasn't 100% on plan and on traveling days it was difficult to get in my minimum 11,000 steps. But, there were 3 days on the vacation that I was over 20,000 steps, whew.

Thankfully, I didn't gain. I stayed the same.

jmh6251 Sat, Jul-26-14 09:56

So glad you had a good time. It's hard to stay on plan when you are travelling. You'll get right back on track now that you are home. We have another picnic to go to today, I plan on filling up before hand and just visiting. My GC are staying over today, so that should be fun. I have to help my big kid grocery shop. I keep on threatening to start using coupons, I think starting with the Sunday Paper there won't be a better time to start. Have a great day

myrt4930 Tue, Jul-29-14 18:05

Jmh--Filling up before a picnic is a great idea. I really need to think more "socially" at a get together and before hand instead of ...I wonder what they'll have to eat!! Guess it just takes practice.
My family doc said to go off the Adderall cold turkey today because I've been feeling weird lately like my electrolytes are off and my heart wants to palpitate. I hope I don't gain this weight back. I saw the rheumy yesterday in San Antonio but I felt different yesterday. I wish we didn't have to take any medicine at all. This morning I weighed 151.2# and I hope and pray I can keep it off. I rode the bike this morning at the gym and that was fun. Tomorrow I'll go in the pool.
N2L--I hope you're feeling better soon. And what on earth happened to Jane??? Does anyone know???
Bug---So glad you had a nice vacation down here. Most people won't venture down this time of year because of the heat. And your weight loss is just terrific!!!
myrt

bugujo Wed, Jul-30-14 13:26

murt, I don't have a choice as to when I can take vacation. I teach at a community college so it has to be on the breaks.

jmh6251 Thu, Jul-31-14 17:06

Well good afternoon, It happens to be Thursday. Haven't been doing much this week. Nothing exciting to report. The picnic went well on Saturday. I filled up beforehand and just ate a hotdog and a hamburger patty and some cheese at the picnic. Of course people got wondering about me. I guess that is to be expected. One lady kept on trying to get me to eat a piece of cake she brought. I told her if I did that I would break out in hives. LOL Had a nice visit with friends though. I then helped my DGS with his grocery shopping, and he needed work boots. My DGC spent the night Saturday night and I took them home Sunday morning. Been battling cravings last couple of days. So far I haven't caved in. Hope everyone has a great day

bugujo Fri, Aug-01-14 15:15

jmh, nice job at not caving in. I like your response about breaking out in hives.

I continue to get compliments now that people are noticing. Three so far :)

eljohnw Sat, Aug-02-14 10:45

About the cravings jmh. I make Dana Carpenters fatbombs and store the in my freezer. One of those suckers and the cravings are gone.
About the hives, it is a good answer. I tell people I am gluten intolerant and get away with not eating most of the starches.

bugujo Sat, Aug-02-14 16:17

eljohnw please share Dana's fat bomb recipe.