Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   The One Minute Muffin Factory (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=482106)

bkloots Wed, Mar-06-19 10:24

The One Minute Muffin Factory

Here's an idea for someone with more of an entrepreneurial disposition than I have. Make the One Minute Muffin even easier!

For a very long time, I've made One Minute Muffins for breakfast every day, for myself and DH. Every couple of weeks, I measure all the dry ingredients for one muffin into an individual sandwich baggie (reusable) about twenty at a time. Keep them in the fridge. In the morning, whoever is fixing breakfast puts oil and egg into a mug, mixes in the dry ingredients, nukes the batter. And voila! Fastest and most nutritious breakfast you can imagine.

Why doesn't somebody make up these dry ingredients and sell them as Instant Flaxseed Muffin mix? Extremely cheap to make--but somebody will pay a huge premium for what they consider convenience. Right?

There you are. Moderators can relocate this thread anywhere else. But while I'm at it, I do recommend the One Minute Muffin in its countless iterations as a happy lifestyle choice.

JEY100 Sun, Mar-10-19 04:34

WheatFree Market has an almond flour and psyllium version. https://www.wheatfreemarket.com

Now when I make a MIM I mentally add Ken Russell’s most important step to the recipe.....after taking out the muffin, immediately add water to the mug and let it soak. :lol: :lol:

bkloots Mon, Mar-11-19 05:49

Thanks, Janet! Ever resourceful. :thup:

I found the Flaxseed Wrap mix. Sounds like it would work fine, although the ingredients might make it a bit more dry than our tasty muffins--which also can be cooked flat on a plate for "bread."

As you might imagine, the cost of a MIM our way is about ten cents (that's a total guess) including the flaxseed, the oil, the egg, and the rest. Wonder how that packaged mix stands up to that? :lol:

Well, that was the whole point of this post. Somebody can make some money out of these things. And it looks like somebody is. People (including me) will often spend for convenience if they can.

P. S. Our muffins don't stick if I run a knife around it and slip it out of the mug when it's hot. I can reuse the mug a few times before it gets gunky. But yes. This is sticky stuff!

JEY100 Mon, Mar-11-19 07:25

If I forget to soak the mug, and the batter dries like cement...it also makes me wonder what it is doing to my digestive system. :q: :lol:

bevangel Mon, Mar-11-19 09:07

Quote:
Why doesn't somebody make up these dry ingredients and sell them as Instant Flaxseed Muffin mix? Extremely cheap to make--but somebody will pay a huge premium for what they consider convenience. Right?

Actually Duncan Hines is already in the business of selling individual "mug cake" mixes... NOT our low carb version... but if they ever decided they wanted to get into the keto market, it'd be really easy for them to create a low-carb version. Their ingredients include "dried whole eggs" but somehow I doubt they're using eggs from free-range chickens like most keto-ers would want. Well, maybe not the ones who find mixing up their own ingredients to be too much trouble. :lol:

https://www.amazon.com/Duncan-Hines...l/dp/B01N183ZGT

Quote:
If I forget to soak the mug, and the batter dries like cement...it also makes me wonder what it is doing to my digestive system.
I've wondered about that too but eventually decided that the stuff can't "dry out" in my digestive system so hopefully can't turn to cement inside my guts. :rolleyes: Still, as I've become less and less convinced that "fiber" is the great cure-all, I eat a lot fewer flax MIMs than I used too. Now I mostly make only make a flattened-out savory version to cut in half and use as "buns" when we're running low on lettuce but want hamburgers anyway.

I've also developed a wonderful variation made with bacon grease plus some Parmesan cheese, garlic and onion powder that mimics cornbread. As a southerner, there are times when ya just about gotta have a bit of cornbread!

Kristine Mon, Mar-11-19 12:53

Another product available here in Canada - LoveMyBuns. :thup: I'm long overdue to write them a thank you and a review. I won a pack as a door prize at the LC con in Kingston in Dec. I haven't really been 'into' the buns/tea biscuits lately, and I wanted to play with it a bit more. The short version: great product, instructions are on the money, it's just a little bit more coconutty than I'd like compared to the coconut flour I've previously purchased at Bulk Barn.

The versatility of the OMM is almost its downfall, if you're talking about trying to make a marketable instant version. Some people prefer more flax, no flax, more coconut, no coconut, must-be-paleo like the above vs dairy ingredients, organic and more $$$ vs less $$$... a lot to consider.

I do the sandwich-bag-of-dry-ingredients for my favorite rotisserie spice recipe. I think I'm going to do this taco spice that way, too.

Here's a cute trick for your muffins: cut squares of parchment and keep them in a nearby sandwich baggie. When you're ready to make your muffin, grab a parchment square, put it in a ramekin, then use a pop can or drinking glass that barely fits into the ramekin to 'squish' the parchment into a tulip liner. :idea: Saves a lot of mess!

Working shift has taught me the importance of trying to make things easy for yourself when you're busy and exhausted during the week. Countless nosedives off the proverbial wagon have started with that evening exhaustion, hunger, nothing ready to eat and no quick recipe planned. Where you can afford it, spend an extra buck or two to make your life easier. You and your health are worth it.

JEY100 Tue, Mar-12-19 04:14

Parchment paper...brilliant!

bkloots Tue, Mar-12-19 06:42

Quote:
If I forget to soak the mug, and the batter dries like cement...it also makes me wonder what it is doing to my digestive system.
We've been eating these things every day for so long, we would be dead by now if this were the case. :lol:

When I share our recipe with friends, I always warn them to take it easy--not eat the entire muffin all at once. 1/4 cup of flaxseed is a HUGE slug of fiber, and people might have....consequences.

Thanks everyone for the links and suggestions. I think the restrictions of commercial production--preservatives, additives, etc.--probably preclude the convenience we enjoy with our home-made muffin kits, which we keep refrigerated. But you CAN try this at home! :thup:

WereBear Tue, Mar-12-19 09:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Working shift has taught me the importance of trying to make things easy for yourself when you're busy and exhausted during the week. Countless nosedives off the proverbial wagon have started with that evening exhaustion, hunger, nothing ready to eat and no quick recipe planned. Where you can afford it, spend an extra buck or two to make your life easier. You and your health are worth it.

Yes, yes, yes!

My carb creep started with a bad bout of flu and exhaustion that sent me to frozen meals.

Now, I have worked out supplies that are no more expensive and much more nutritious.

bkloots Wed, Mar-13-19 06:00

Yes, a "fast fix" option on hand is a good idea. I've found that a cup of bouillon helps on several levels. To make it a meal, use chicken bouillon and whisk an egg into it with a fork. Instant Egg Drop Soup. I'm sure there are lots of hacks like this for snack attacks and moments of exhaustion. I'm hearing a compelling rhyme. I think I'll start a new thread. :lol: