Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Best Of (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   Why the SCALE CAN LIE (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=365499)

amandawald Tue, Mar-04-08 01:29

I shall have to post this article above my scales - it's SOOOO good!

Hi there Cricket56!

Having only skimmed this article first time round, I just read it again. It really does explain a lot!

For the last couple of days I've had a bit of a stall, but, as my period is due, I know that it's water retention. It's kind of depressing, but I know it'll be gone again soon! Thank goodness I'm in Europe, though, and weigh myself in kilos - I always feel much lighter than when I "translate" my weight into pounds!!!

amandawood

XSugarBabe Tue, Mar-04-08 05:54

Thanks for sharing this Cricket! You always seem to find some gems to read.

Tanyaskees Tue, Mar-04-08 07:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2run
I cannot handle weighing myself because that puts me in the dieters mindset and I start obsessing about what I can and can't eat and I am a person to avoid. Lately I have just went by how my clothes fit. Judy

I wish I could go w/out a scale. It depresses me....my clothes are loose, I feel great, but the dorn scale is stuck.

rachelratz Fri, Mar-21-08 18:04

Be patient..thats what I tell other people on low carb diets. I put away the scale. The only time I knew something was happening was my clothes were starting to fall off of me. I tightened by belt and walked around looking like an orphan. It was nearly 6 months when I looked at the scale again. I went from 148lbs to 109lbs. I went from a 12 to a 0. That was over 7 years ago. Currently I weigh myself about once a month.

cricket56 Fri, Mar-21-08 18:37

When I originally posted this, it was in one area...got moved to another. This is the only one I ever see it on any more.
I am having the stalls and scale mambo so often I could be on "so you think you can dance"!
I don't obsess at the number ( but lets face it, it helps) and go by the clothes as well. BUT when the numbers just sit there or go up I have to sit and remember this article. This is a way of life, but it would be nice for it to be a way of life at my goal weight! This is 4 1/2 months now and 30 pounds... maybe 1-2 more maybe 1-2 less..depends on the day and scale!

DarkFairy Wed, Apr-30-08 09:21

You are a God sent for posting this and them telling me about it. I just love you to bits. thank you I will no longer look at my scale and scream!

pamlynn Wed, Apr-30-08 09:42

So glad to actually see this information with my own eyes. This is pretty much the way I feel about my scale weight. I KNOW I'm losing fat by the way my clothes fit, by how people are noticing the fat loss and by looking in my mirror. If I know I'm on point with my WOE, but get on the scale (once a week) and it has me up a pound or two, I just don't sweat it because all these other things are going on and that's my REAL proof, not the scale. Thanks so much for the validation!!

cricket56 Thu, May-01-08 07:50

Thanks to everyone for all your constant support! I know that this article helped me so very much. Although like so many others here, I couldn't understand why the scale just did horrid things when I was being so careful! This made it so clear to see it in print. Now I still wake up, take a deep breath and step up most every morning but the big difference is that I also say to myself before I do that is ' ok.let's see if the loss SHOWS here or am I retaining water..'
I know I am losing weight but understand that the scale is just an indicator as are my clothes and how I feel..all indicators and in the long run, they all are pieces to my puzzle.

NoWhammies Thu, May-01-08 14:59

Hoping this is the case as I move into the eighth week of stall with no weight loss, no inch loss in spite of clean eating....

sargondizz Mon, Jul-14-08 10:55

Thank god for this post!

I have been on induction for 3 weeks now and lost 15.5lbs the first 2 weeks only. My weight lose just stopped on week 3. I was very depressed this weekend and now I feel much better.

Thank you for taking the time to post this. It really makes a difference in my life :)

ruthla Mon, Jul-14-08 14:30

Thank you so much for this article!

I've been on LC for over a year and only lost about 20 lbs. The first 15 came off in just a couple of months, the next 5 were VERY slow going. The new skirt I bought in May is still a bit snug on me, as are my new bras (I generally buy stuff just slightly too small for inspiration, and so I don't feel yucky in my too-big clothes when I do lose inches.)

lstephen50 Mon, Jul-14-08 14:50

How encouraging!

Thanks so much for the info - makes a lot of sense - I too am addicted to the scale and just had a gain with no cheating and remaining in high ketosis - figure it's my body readjusting - still hope to see a woosh soon. I do feel looser clothes so I know I'm losing something!! :lol:

Lightbird Mon, Jul-14-08 15:12

Wow, thanks for posting that. Terrifically helpful!

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.
~Bill Cosby (1937 - )

[/url]

MyJourney Mon, Jul-14-08 17:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket56
Muscle is a metabolically active tissue. The more muscle you have the more calories your body burns, even when you're just sitting around. That's one reason why a fit, active person is able to eat considerably more food than the dieter who is unwittingly destroying muscle tissue.

I think its a great article. I would point out that fat is also a metabolically active tissue and I believe burns only slightly less than muscle (I think its something like 2.5 calories per pound). Of course thats not necessarily a good thing since there are all sorts of nasty hormone issues that come with it.

Ragman Mon, Jul-14-08 22:37

After many years of scale watching, I now don't bother leaping on daily - I get far more impressed with the Saturday morning surprise of large weight loss.. Much better, in my opinion, than leaping onto the scale and being disappointed.