Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Main dishes (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Deep Dish Pizza Quiche (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=44087)

shy__anne Sat, Jan-12-08 20:37

I made this finally and OH MAN! I think this will literally save my life. I LOVE pizza. It's my all time favorite food. This was better than pizza because it was cheesy and yummy. I made it the way I love pizza, with pepperoni and jalepeņos. I can't say thank you enough for this recipe.

2007 Mon, Jan-14-08 15:51

I made this receipe several times last year and I'm craving it again. My question is what is the receipe for the crust. I keep hearing about the crust, but when I look at the original post it doesn't say anything about a crust. Can someone pleae shoot me the link to the part about the crust. I know it must be in here somewhere but this post is 35 pages long. Please help. Thanks bunches!

Natkins Mon, Jan-14-08 17:29

The "quiche" *is* the crust. After you bake it, you then add some pizza sauce and cheese and toppings.

shy__anne Mon, Jan-14-08 17:47

Yes and after a day, it really tastes and "feels" like left over pizza crust. YUM!

2007 Mon, Jan-14-08 18:23

I'm just totally confused now. The quiche is the crust??? I'm lost here.

shy__anne Mon, Jan-14-08 18:48

DEEP DISH PIZZA QUICHE

4 oz softened cream cheese
4 eggs
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
1 tbs chives
1/2 tsp Italian or pizza seasoning
2 cups shredded cheese (I use mozzarella/cheddar mix)
1/2 tsp wet garlic or 1/4 tsp garlic powder
(You bake the ingredients up to this point for about 35 minutes)

Preheat oven to 375.
Beat together cream cheese and eggs till smooth (I use a blender).
Add cream, parmesean cheese and spices.
Spray 13x9 glass baking dish with PAM.
Put 2 cups of shredded cheese in dish and pour egg mixture over.
Bake at 375 for 30-35 minutes.
Remove from oven....

1/2 cup lowest carb tomato or pizza sauce
1 cup mozzarella cheese
Toppings to taste (I use pepperoni, sausage, onion, green pepper, mushrooms, whatever!)
(Then you add the "pizza" toppings and bake again This makes the quiche a "crust" Spread with sauce and then add your toppings.
Cover with mozzarella cheese)
Bake till browning and bubbly (or however you like your 'za!)
Let stand for 5 minutes or so.

Does that make sense? It took me a little while too... Man it's good though!

2007 Mon, Jan-14-08 22:29

Shy Anne thanks so much for clearing that up for me. I'm getting my meals ready for the week and this is one that I'm about to bake tonight along with a few others should I find the energy. It's already late and I just found out I don't have any pizza or tomatoe sauce so I'll be substituting with red enchilada sauce. Hmmm? Well I think it will still be pretty tasty seeing as I have everything else the receipe calls for.

Thanks again!

shy__anne Tue, Jan-15-08 00:29

No problem. My brother made the sauce I used. He was making a "low fat/high carb" pizza for a friend but I stole some of the sauce. It was low carb (by accident) and spicy. My DH liked it too so now we can have pizza night every week! Yay. Good for you preparing all your food for the week. Wanna come to my house and do mine? :lol:

2007 Tue, Jan-15-08 13:22

Pizza came out very good, but a bit too spicy because I forgot my enchilada sauce was picante hot and I also added pepperoni, jalepenos and roma tomatoe slices as toppings. Whoo! Spicy, but very good. Next time no jalepenos, but I will keep the enchilada sauce (only 1 carb and no sugar) and add half of tomatoe sauce with it since it's so super spicy and/or just buy regular enchilada sauce 'cause this picante hot stuff is super duper spicy. So the pizza is definetly a winner and my Orange Manderine Flaxseed/Carbquick pancakes that I made last night came out pretty awesome too! :thup:

Ended up scarfing 3 of my pancakes while waiting for the pizza dish. :yum:

I had to stop myself because this is suppose to be my batch for the week. :lol: Got full off the pancakes before I could get to the pizza, but of course I managed to gobble up a slice or two of pizza. :D

Oh yeah, next time I will put my pizza in a larger size casserole dish as I would enjoy this as a thin crust instead of thick. :thup:

penelope Tue, Jan-15-08 13:51

If you look at the lasagne recipes you can see that the pizza basehere is used as noodles for the lasagne. I made it and it is incredible. I could not put all the mozzarella from the recipe on top of it because my pan was too shallow but it was still excellent and a keeper.
I made the mistake the first time of putting some spinach in it and I had to pick it out as I was eating but by itself it is great. I made it in the 9x13 pan and cut it when cooled into 3 inch cubes and froze it singly and wrapped each cube in plastic film and put them into a freezer Ziploc bag.
I just nuke it on defrost and it is fast and perfect.

neverwhere Tue, Jan-15-08 14:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shy__anne
Yes and after a day, it really tastes and "feels" like left over pizza crust. YUM!

I agree...I almost never eat it hte first night I make it....its definately better and better with each day.
I made it last night, actually, ate the first piece for lunch today...delish!

Also, 2007, I agree about the big glass baking dish! I dont like things too eggy so I make sure to use a bigger dish so the crust is thinner.

Also, if you chill the crush for a few hours before baking it again with the toppings, it dries out and becomes crunchy like pizza crust when its baked the second time. If you notice linda sue's recipie for deep dish pizza, its almost exactly the same recipie, except she cools the crust on a wire rack and chills it for crispiness.

:yum: :yum:

BetsyJ64 Tue, Jan-15-08 14:35

[QUOTE=2007] So the pizza is definetly a winner and my Orange Manderine Flaxseed/Carbquick pancakes that I made last night came out pretty awesome too! :thup: /QUOTE]

Hey, 2007 - can you share this recipe?? I love flax pancakes and have some Carbquik to use up too! These sound YUMMY!!!

Thanks!

Betsy

shy__anne Tue, Jan-15-08 14:39

Cool, thanks I will try cooling it first. I love this stuff. I am thinking of making it tonight. 2007, was the enchilada sauce runny or was it ok? Penelope, I will look into the lasagna, what a great idea!!

2007 Tue, Jan-15-08 16:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverwhere
Also, 2007, I agree about the big glass baking dish! I dont like things too eggy so I make sure to use a bigger dish so the crust is thinner.

Also, if you chill the crush for a few hours before baking it again with the toppings, it dries out and becomes crunchy like pizza crust when its baked the second time.

:yum: :yum:

I think I will give that a try next time because my next choice was just going to be to use some carbquick for my crust and call it a day, but if I can get a true crust texture just by freezing it then that would be even better; no extra calories or carbs. Cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyJ64
[QUOTE=2007] So the pizza is definetly a winner and my Orange Manderine Flaxseed/Carbquick pancakes that I made last night came out pretty awesome too! :thup: /QUOTE]

Hey, 2007 - can you share this recipe?? I love flax pancakes and have some Carbquik to use up too! These sound YUMMY!!!

Thanks!

Betsy

Yes. Sure, I just sent the receipe to my sister so here it is (this will produce a batch of 10 to 15 pancakes):

Bob's Red Mill Gold Ground Flaxseed 4 to 5 tablespoons
Carbquick LC Flour 4 tablespoons
4 Eggs
1/4 cup of Heavy Cream
1/3 cup of Sam's Choice Clear Water in Sugar Free Zero Carb Manderine Orange Flavor or whatever flavor floats your boat (gives the pancake a crepe consistency since flaxseed tends to bulkup and a nice sweet flavor to boot)
2 to 3 tbls of Tillmook butter melted - gives wonderful flavor and stops pancake from sticking to pan
1 tsp of Davince Sugar Free for a bit of added sweetness
Dash of Cinnamon, nutmeg, and/or pumkin pie spice (optional but a very nice touch)

Mix Flaxseed, LC flour, and eggs together, add heavy cream, mix, add flavored water, mix, add melted butter, mix, and then add all the remaining ingredients and mix.

Place in non-stick skillet and cook over medium-low heat , remove, and top with butter or your favorite LC topping.

Enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shy__anne
2007, was the enchilada sauce runny or was it ok?

The enchilada sauce was great, the type I got was too spicy, and the consistency was good not runny.

The only thing I would do different is use a milder enchilada sauce or mix half enchilada sauce and half sugar free tomatoe sauce.

And speaking of Sugar Free Tomatoe Sauce - I saw this receipe for Sugar Free Tomatoe Sauce on another pizza link here:

Sugar Free Tomatoe Sauce (enough for two large pizza's):

1 Box of Chopped skinless Tomatoes - Mix in blender
Add Pressed Garlic, Salt & Herbs such as Oregano, Basil, and Thyme (Personally I would just use some Lawry's Garlic Powder since it already has all these ingredients plus some combined

Blend all together and Wahla! You have Sugar Free Tomatoe Sauce to use for whatever! Super cool I think! :thup:

LynnDee Tue, Jan-15-08 18:29

I agree, this tastes so much better on the 2nd & 3rd days.