Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Sweet treats (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Maple Walnut Icing (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=215377)

4beans4me Tue, Oct-19-04 13:11

Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Maple Walnut Icing

I posted this last year under a Thanksgiving thread. I LOVE the recipe, and it got some great reviews from other forum members. Enjoy! :thup:

Mix:
1 cup almond flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves (or 2 tsp Allspice instead of cinn or cloves)
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
24pks splenda (OR 1/2 cup davinci SF syrup and 6pks of Splenda)
3 tblsp chopped walnuts

Then mix:
1 cup mashed pumpkin
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil

Mix dry into wet and pour into sprayed 9x13 inch pan. Bake 350 for 30-40 min. Let cool then frost. Really good next day!!! If they last that long!!!

Cream Cheese Walnut Frosting

4 oz softened cream cheese
2 tbsp softened butter
2 tbsp cream
1 tsp maple or walnut extract
1 tsp vanilla extract (will also work with 2 tsp vanilla instead of the maple or walnut)
6 pks splenda OR SF vanilla syrup to desired taste and consistancy.

Mix all together till smooth then add 3 tbl chopped walnuts and spread on bars!

18 bars at roughly 3.5 carbs each and 2.5 if you use the Davinci and splenda.

Iowan Tue, Oct-19-04 15:06

OH MY GOSH!! I could kiss you, seriously! That is one of my FAVORITES! I cannot wait to try this recipe, after I get some more almond flour, I just made chicken strips two days ago & used it all, darnit! Anyways, thanks so much!! Cannot wait to try this :)

PKV Wed, Oct-20-04 12:17

Becki I made these lastnight. Delish ! :yum: Thanks for the recipe...

believer1 Sun, Oct-24-04 20:11

Best tasting dessert I've had from this forum. It tastes similar to a cake my mother used to make for me when I was a kid.
Next time, though, I'm going to add two teaspoons of maple and leave the vanilla out to see if it gets a little more of the flavor I like. :thup:

teddymom1 Wed, Oct-27-04 12:39

Where do you get the almond flour? This sounds like a recipe I could make tonight - just happen to have the pumpkin and all other ingredients at home - except for the almond flour!
Sue

believer1 Wed, Oct-27-04 13:41

just grind regular 'ol almonds in a blender or food processer and PRESTO almond flour (at least that's what I do) ;)

teddymom1 Wed, Oct-27-04 13:54

Fantastic!! I'm sure I have some almonds at home in the freezer - can't wait to try this. I have Torani Caramel syrup at home as well - bet it would 'kick it up a notch', don't you think?!
Sue

windy Wed, Oct-27-04 19:44

Boy does that ever sound good. I will have to try that soon.

Linda

Inanna Wed, Nov-03-04 00:02

hi everyone,
is it possible to leave out the packets of splenda entirely and just use only Davinci syrup?

LCme Fri, Nov-05-04 14:41

This recipe is outstanding, (dangerous really), I have not been able to mange portion control. I used Gingerbread Davincis w/ the spenda, and added 1/2 tsp vanilla extract and a few drops almond extract. Did not try the frosting yet as we ate 1/ 2the bars before I even thought about the frosting. And true, they are even better the 2nd day.Thanks beans!

4beans4me Fri, Nov-05-04 20:03

Quote:
This recipe is outstanding, (dangerous really)

:D They ARE addicting! Glad you liked them!

MaryToU Sat, Nov-06-04 10:58

Now this does sound good, cant wait to try it!

etoiles Sun, Nov-07-04 17:50

After reading all the good reviews I made these tonight and they are absolutely fantastic!!!!! :yay:

I have tried other 'cakes' and the like and this one has no funny taste or strange texture. It is just wonderful!

The only things I did differently are that I used hazelnut meal instead of almond flour and did not use any extract in the frosting (too bad, I didn't realize I was all out). I did use the da vinci syrup variation and used toasted marshmellow flavor since that is what we have had on hand.

Two thumbs up!!!! I am already considering bringing these for my family's potluck Thanksgiving! :yum:

believer1 Mon, Nov-08-04 10:24

Yep, this is a keeper...I'm going to double it and try making a layer cake later this week. Will let you all know how it goes.

Bebet Thu, Nov-11-04 15:52

Do ya'll really use a 9/13 pan. I thought it would be too big for the amount of batter so I used a smaller rectangular glass dish. I also thought 24 packets of splenda was too much, it has too much of a splenda taste, has anyone else made it with all the splenda (as opposed to using half di vinci syrup)? It filled a need, I was wanting something that tasted this way...