Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Does Coconut Oil cause a stall??? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=482255)

Ms Arielle Thu, Apr-04-19 12:54

Does Coconut Oil cause a stall???

Lots of benefits to cooking with CO, but from what I read, it runs to the head of the line, like alcohol does, and that leaves me concerned that CO might not be a good first choice fat/oil.

Can anyone clarify this? It is only CO that behaves this way,or have I misunderstood and all fats/oils get used BEFORE adipose storage is mobilized????
:help:

SilverEm Thu, Apr-04-19 17:28

I don't know how CO is metabolized. It is very, very high in salicylates, and if someone is sensitive to salicylates that could be a problem.

Salicylates can lower the blood sugar, -- I don't know how they would do this, other than by stimulating insulin production.

barb712 Fri, Apr-05-19 06:55

All science aside besides n=1, I have a tablespoon of virgin or extra virgin coconut oil sometimes instead of butter and it has no noticeable effect on me besides my saying ahhh and yum.

Ms Arielle Fri, Apr-05-19 07:08

THanks for the tid bits of information on the CO.

Any one else what to take a stab at the question?

jessdamess Fri, Apr-05-19 07:18

The only comment I have is regarding energy intake. 1 tbsp CO may be 120 cal too many for your system to continue to lose. That's the only reason I can think of CO would stall. If this were Reddit, I'd get downvoted to oblivion for mentioning cals when talking low-carb. I was able to only count carbs for 3 months until I stalled out. The only thing that got it moving again was watching calories, too. I love to eat, and I love to eat keto food. Many people have a lazy or dysfunctional satiety reflex that just doesn't let us know when enough is enough. I've verified this again and again, by trying to go back to only counting carbs and stop eating when I feel full. I gain weight back every time. So adding CO to your regimen may need to be paired with reducing the amount of other fats in your diet.

My 53 cents, which everyone is free to take or leave with no hard feelings. ;)

cotonpal Fri, Apr-05-19 07:21

My understanding is that all consumed fat is metabolized before adipose fat. I have not heard that CO is any different in this regard. What I have heard is that CO is easier to digest than most fats and doesn't put as much stress on the gall bladder. I am not 100% sure of this but I have been using CO for over a decade with no apparent ill effects on weight loss or any other thing.

GRB5111 Fri, Apr-05-19 12:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
My understanding is that all consumed fat is metabolized before adipose fat. I have not heard that CO is any different in this regard. What I have heard is that CO is easier to digest than most fats and doesn't put as much stress on the gall bladder. I am not 100% sure of this but I have been using CO for over a decade with no apparent ill effects on weight loss or any other thing.

Succinct summary of my understanding and experience as well.