Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Food Combining (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   [Montignac] Bfore I go shopping - Salad Dressing ? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=89535)

KoKo Fri, Feb-28-03 06:09

Bfore I go shopping - Salad Dressing ?

Hi All, :)

The answer to this question is probably somewhere here already, but I am a bit short on time this morning as I'm going shopping (quite a big deal for me I'm a semi-hermit :o ) also going to what I'll call the "small city" as opposed to the "big city" - Ottawa -Ontario - so anyway - What kind of salad dressing is best for Montignac, I know he says mayonaise in moderation is allowed -
now what else do you use?
- a commercial fat free
- a commercial full fat
-home made vinagrrette type

hoping I'll come home with the book Spang recommended to me. I must recheck that post and write down the name. Wonder if montignac will help this memory of mine :D

CalicoCat Fri, Feb-28-03 10:11

Doing your own dressing is always best, because you know you used the best kind of oil (first mechanically pressed) for it. On the down side, it takes time to make it! If you buy some at the supermarket, just read all the labels and avoid the ones with sugars of any kind, and starch. Right now, I am only using some olive oil and tamari soy sauce on top of my salad. It’s no trouble at all an I enjoy the taste :yum:

Spang Fri, Feb-28-03 10:15

I normally make my own. a little olive oil, some balsamic vinegar and seasoning - and variations on that.

i can post a bunch of salad dressings from the Montignac cook book if you like.

For reference, that book I keep going on about is:-

"The New Glucose Revolution - The Authoritive Buide to the Glycemic Index" Authors - Jennie Brand Miller (who came up with the big GI list of foods on the Mendosa site I keep going on about), Thoma Wolever (who co devised the concept of "Gylcemic Index"), Kaye Foster-Powell, and Stephen Colagiuri. I have the new edition that came out this year.

spang

KoKo Sat, Mar-01-03 06:44

Thanks again Spang,

You seem to be the resident expert on Montignac. I got the New Glucose Revolution, no Montiganc Cookbooks though but with the recipes and info available in what books I did get I should be able to manage fine. If you already have the recipes typed in that would be great but please don't go to a lot of work . I am pretty good in the kitchen so should be able to manage now.

:)

Spang Sat, Mar-01-03 16:38

I'm far from an expert - I'm still learning like everyone else!

But thank you :)

If i get a spare few seconds, I'll post some dressings from the Montingac cook book - he has a homemade mayonnasie which is pretty good

Spang Thu, Mar-06-03 01:11

salad dressing recipes

ok - here's a few from montignac's cook book as promised!

creamy vinaigrette (sort of mayonaisse like)
makes about 3/4 cup

1 egg yolk
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp finely chopped parsley
salt n pepper to taste
2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup cold pressed sunflower oil
2 Tbsp Sour Cream

In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolk, mustard and parsley. Season with salt and pepper, and add lemon juice.

Add both oild in a thin stream, while whisking continuously, then add sour cream

Spang Thu, Mar-06-03 01:14

Balsamic Vinaigrette

makes 1 cup

3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup defatted chicken stock (pref home made) - but I use a stock cube!
3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 large clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh oregano
1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh basil
salt and pepper to taste

In a bowl - whisk it all together!