Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Schwarzbein Principle (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   Strawberries and cream (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=409229)

Pilili Fri, Mar-12-10 03:30

Strawberries and cream

The weather is still rather bad in Belgium, but it shouldn't be long until spring anymore, and then comes that time of the year where I like to indulge regularly in a portion of strawberries.

Last year, as I was still counting my calories, I ate my strawberries with yoghurt and sweetener.
This year, however, if I want to enjoy strawberries, the Schwarzbein way, I will need to combine them with a protein.
Whipped cream and a tiny dash of sweetener, honey or golden syrup should be okay, but what protein should I take with this?
In principle I should also have a nonstarchy vegetable, but I truly cannot think of any vegetable to accompany strawberries.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated ;)

pmezak Mon, Mar-29-10 09:33

cottage cheese?

I would have the strawberries with cottage cheese or ricotta cheese. Are those available in Antwerp? :wave:

ImOnMyWay Mon, Mar-29-10 09:45

yeah, cottage cheese. You could also make a breakfast smoothie with strawberries, strawberry-flavored protein powder, water and a little cream. There's lots of variations for smoothies using eggs, cream cheese, soft tofu, what have you.

But I'd skip the veggies for that meal.

:)

Pilili Mon, Mar-29-10 09:58

Yes, they have ricotta and cottage cheese as well in Antwerp.
Only... I find them *yuch!* ;)

I will see if I find protein powder. Never have used the stuff, and the option of using cream cheese should be okay as well.

Many thanks!

ImOnMyWay Mon, Mar-29-10 10:42

Here's a shake recipe you can use (you could substitute strawberries for the flaxseeds):

Sheila's SOS Shake

Looking forward to some strawberries myself!

Shyvas Mon, Mar-29-10 12:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilili
In principle I should also have a nonstarchy vegetable, but I truly cannot think of any vegetable to accompany strawberries.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated ;)

I make grilled ou sauteed Halloumi cheese with rocket/argula and strawberries. It is really delicious for a light lunch.

Strawberry cheescake ice cream is a dessert to die for if you're a strawberry lover. :yum:

pmezak Mon, Mar-29-10 17:05

OK, both of those recipes sound wonderful, but tell us more about the strawberry cheesecake ice cream, is this a recipe you have????

Pilili Tue, Mar-30-10 01:05

The halloumi-idea sounds lovely too.

A week or two - I estimate - and then the strawberries should become affordable.

Yumm... I can hardly wait.

amandawald Fri, Apr-02-10 14:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilili
The halloumi-idea sounds lovely too.

A week or two - I estimate - and then the strawberries should become affordable.

Yumm... I can hardly wait.

I would just have strawberries and cream - milk and cream do have some protein in them, don't they???

This seems to give the low-down on light whipping cream, which would be would just "Schlagsahne" here in Germany, i.e. whipping cream. I don't know what they offer in Belgium...

Have a look at this link and you'll see that cream does indeed contain protein, so you can just have your strawbs and cream the old-fashioned way, with whipped cream and forget the cheese!!! :yum:

http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/...g-products/50/2

amanda

amandawald Fri, Apr-02-10 14:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyvas
I make grilled ou sauteed Halloumi cheese with rocket/argula and strawberries. It is really delicious for a light lunch.

Strawberry cheescake ice cream is a dessert to die for if you're a strawberry lover. :yum:

Hi Shyvas,

You still haven't got a journal, you naughty girl!!! Please open one!!!

amanda

Shyvas Fri, Apr-02-10 14:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandawald
Hi Shyvas,

You still haven't got a journal, you naughty girl!!! Please open one!!!

amanda

Amanda - I wouldn't know what to put in my journal. :lol:

SPlover Wed, Apr-27-11 09:56

Just eat the strawberries and whip the cream. Don't put any sweetener on them though, enjoy the natural taste. If you must, just put a teaspoonful of honey on top of the whipped cream, more bang for your sugary buck. But really, Schwarzbein is about NOT eating sugars.

HisPoiema Thu, May-19-11 03:02

I can't eat cream due to the lactose. (sugar) It spikes my blood sugar and I get sick. I wonder how common my problem is? I must have adrenal fatigue as I used to be addicted to sugar.
This is my first post but I can't say how much I will be around here. I got a lot going on in my personal life and getting involved here is overwhelming at the moment.

Pilili Fri, May-20-11 03:15

Welcome to this forum!

Consider switching to raw milk.
The Weston A. Price Foundation offers more information about people who used to be lactose intolerant, until they switched to raw milk and products made of raw milk.

Hope you get the stressful period behind you quickly. Health improves so much when you work on reducing stress. And yes, it's work, and even hard work. I have made it one of my priorities and it takes a long time, but I am confident that I will get it under control.
*hug*

HisPoiema Sat, May-21-11 03:02

I always assumed that lactose intolerance referred to stomach problems, but I am definitely intolerant in another way. I used to have Price's book. Maybe I will try raw milk. That would be interesting. Thanks for your kind words.