Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Best Of (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=94)
-   -   What was your kick-start insult or event? (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=133391)

beanerz Fri, Feb-27-04 10:04

Well, I was diagnosed with diabetes and I couldn't control it and when I had to give myself that first insulin shot I FREAKED OUT I think it took me about 20 minutes to just prick myself. But right before that, I remember several things, I used to be EXTREMLY thin growing up (I danced for 15 years) and when my future MIL came over to my mother's house for the first time, she saw pictures of me up in the hall at my smallest, yet unhealthy weight, I was like 95 pounds but 5'4 (I was anorexic and going to counseling) but she commented on how wonderful I looked, I know that is sick meaning to say that, but she was right to a point, I look muchbetter thinner. She makes several comments about how she will starve herself if she goes above 125 and she is 5'7. I know SHE has ISSUES with weight, but it does get my head spinning as I was once diagnosed with an eating disorder and anyone who has been, isn't or never will be 100% cured from it. The other factor was when my back would ache getting up every morning, and I could sit down on the bed propped up with a pillow and my fat rolled into my boobs, so it was time. I am 5 pounds from pre-pregnant weight and it WILL come off, I am doing great and won't go back. Makes you very sensitive to heavy people, as I have been super thin and super fat.

lilian Fri, Feb-27-04 11:59

Lets see its alot of things that made me start
1: Looking at myself infront of a mirrow and not liking what I see
2: going shopping for jeans and somehow thinking Im a smaller size than what I realy am
3: Not liking myself for not having the will power to not cheat on this wol
4: last but not least Knowing that my husband is no longer atracted to me, even thoe he doesn't say it (actions speak louder than words) and his are screeming....

Well good luck to you all on this way of life/.. :agree:

bfritz_pa Sat, Feb-28-04 14:19

1) I just got sick and tired of seeing myself so BIG.
2) My Health
3) My self confidence
4) That sickening feeling when I sit down and my Gut tries to contract into itself.
5) To run again.............
6) To buy nice clothes

JayRob Sat, Mar-06-04 15:06

(1) Pants that were getting too tight. :)
(2) Co-worker who lost 50 lbs on Protein Power.
(3) Step mother who had a stroke from Type II diabetes complications and now faces the loss of a limb.

Anne768 Tue, Mar-23-04 05:50

First time I've seen this thread....good one
(do not have time to read all postings yet...work calls)..but I will

I think for me, it was looking at high school class reunion pics...which i didnt attend..did'nt know anything about it.....seeing people I hadnt seen in 20+ years was a little eye opening...(i mean...what if they saw ME now...arg!!)

+ it was a new years resolution thing...start anew

and how i havent taken pics with me in them for years, clothes not fitting, not wanting to buy 16+ sizes anymore, not being happy w/myself, gosh i could go on.....& on....but duty calls.

Stephen596 Tue, Mar-23-04 07:25

My Depression

Xplora Tue, Mar-23-04 08:53

I had injured my back and was in severe pain. In the ER the doctor told me to lose weight and otherwise blew me off completely. Handed me some pain pills and shoved me out the door. I was so insulted that they did not treat me with enough respect to even look into what might have been wrong. (I had an employee who was in with the same simptoms and he had x rays, mri, therapy....) I was literally screaming in pain. I realized that as a fat person, I did sometimes get descriminated against. Mainly though, I knew the doctor was correct, that my weight did effect my health and my back problems were worsening.
Since losing weight, my back has been much better. Pilates has been great in strengthening my back and abs too. I feel and look much better.

hummelda Tue, Mar-23-04 18:23

I just decided it was time. Enough. Game over.

I cannot say I have been overtly insulted over my weight but life is restricted at the weight I started. I didn't even start with the thought that I was going to go all the way. But as I've gone through this, my resolve has gotten stronger until there is nothing that can stop me and nothing that will make me go back to the way I was.

lizwhip Tue, Mar-23-04 18:32

Hummelda -

Marvelous post. I feel the same way.

Liz

sugarpie Thu, Mar-25-04 14:42

several things did it for me all with in a few months time

hubby's doc asked when our baby was due, when i explained that i had a hysterectomy she couldn't believe it and put her hands on my stomach and said "amazing"

size 22 that were too tight, ugly sweat pants and not wanting to leave the house

looking in the mirror and having my very overweight mother look back

not fitting in a lawn chair any more

a hubby who no longer wants to be intimate with me

a recent diagnosis of high blood lipids, liver problems and diabetes

25 days into this woe and down 18 pounds

i can't wait to look cute again

SpydrMonke Sun, Mar-28-04 09:39

What a great topic! I was just discussing this with a non-believing co-worker on Friday.

Several things prompted me:
1. I was laid off from a job which I had pretty much consumed my life for the previous two years.
2. I was embarassed to go out with my friends because I was so much heavier than them.
3. I was out of breath walking up the stairs in my new house.
4. I missed being able to shop for clothes..

fAlbert Wed, Mar-31-04 10:59

I had a job interview a few weeks ago. When I tried to put on my suit (which was tailored just 2 years ago) it was not even close to fitting. The pants were way too small and I could not button the jacket.

LondonIan Tue, Apr-06-04 05:43

Always hated the weight. I think the worst comment I got was several years ago when I was 35 lbs pounds lighter than I am now. I weighed about 15.5 stone (217 lbs).
I walked into a jeans & denim shop on a Saturday and I got one step past the door before the shop assistant ran up to me and said (before I'd opened my mouth or looked at anything), "Oh, I'm sorry we only do sizes for normal people here".

Carla27 Tue, Apr-06-04 06:01

1. I was on the verge of looking in the plus sizes for clothes.
2. My lower half started looking like a butchers diagram
3. I was getting winded walking up to my 3rd floor apt.
4.Depression
5. My dh and I were going straight to bed at night and neither one of us complained about it...ok a little personal..sorry

MKist Wed, Apr-07-04 08:54

There wasn't any one thing to set me off. There's a whole list.

1. We have several family things a year. I haven't attended in about three years and have just been making excuses when asked why not. The truth is that I just feel uncomfortable around other people. I don't want anyone to look at me.

2. It's embarrassing to get in a rollercoaster or airplane seat. It's scary to go to someone's house and see narrow or spindly chairs. I'm afraid if I sit, something's going to break!

3. I feel awkward in any social situation. As if everyone is staring at me and commenting on how I'm a fat slob. I know they're not, but the idea gets stuck in my head and the whole time is an ordeal.

4. This may be a bit personal for some, but it's the truth and a big reason for me. Sex. Not only is it harder to muster up the energy and enthusiasm for it, but it's not nearly as fun as a fat person.