Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Tips and Stalls (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Meat & Egg Fast (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=234866)

GQueen Fri, Feb-18-05 08:23

Meat & Egg Fast

Is there anyone else doing this at all?

I started it 2 days ago and when I weighed myself this morning I had lost 5 lbs so far. :yay: :yay: I will test myself with the test strips to see if I am back in ketosis. Even if I am I plan on staying with this fast for a few more days at the very least. :agree:

GQ :wave: :wave:

melissa Fri, Feb-18-05 08:41

GQeen..........
I did the egg, meat fast a few weeks ago and lost 13 lbs. in 7 days! It's a great way to get past a stall...much better than "refeeding" I think. I did it once(refeeding) and it worked, but then I did it again, and BOY did it backfire..lol. Good job!! :wave:

gandktahoe Fri, Feb-18-05 09:55

I almost made it!!

I gave it a try and then came down with bronchitis. I was pretty much living on cough drops so I gave up. I need to get going again as I have been in a stall since just before Christmas.
Wow, 13 pounds in 7 days!!! I could live with that!!

Karen in Tahoe

nikotyme Fri, Feb-18-05 10:11

So is that the only foods you eat...meat and eggs?

What about cheese?

I'm assuming no decaf coffee or SF pop either?

Amanda28 Fri, Feb-18-05 11:24

Well when I've did my meat/egg fasts, I guess I don't totally stick to just meat/eggs. I still have my coffee and my diet pop. Can't seem to get away from those for NOTHING!

Amanda

LCRobbie Fri, Feb-18-05 13:14

fasting

Kinda weird about not drinking diet pop or coffee/tea.

I killed Low Carb last week and gained 5 pounds. I started induction this past Monday but also excluded diet pop and nixed the advantage bars. I drank hot tea with cream/splenda and also unsweetened (home brewed) iced tea just with ice. As of this morning, I lost the 5 I gained and 2 more. I imagine just by eating eggs/meat with very few condiments you could lose greatly.

I usually have mayo/mustard with burgers and cheese/veggies with my scrambled eggs. However, just cooking eggs in a little butter/oil will lower overall calories as would skipping the mayo. If you use this logic, you could consume 500+ calories less per day. In addition, the the protein/fat of the meat and eggs would satiate your appetite immensely so you wouldn't crave much else. I had an omelette / bacon last night for dinner and I wasn't hungry until this morning.

This sounds so logical that come Monday, I will give it a shot. I know there is no special reason to wait until then but I always find it easier to start a routine at the beginning of my work week. It allows me to plan things out better and I always follow it better.

good luck.

faith2004 Fri, Feb-18-05 13:54

How long can a person stay on this fast?

LCRobbie Fri, Feb-18-05 13:56

length

I don't think more thana week is advisable

melissa Fri, Feb-18-05 15:00

I was only going to stay on it for 5 days, but I kept dropping lbs. every morning..lol...I couldn't bring myself to stop! So I decided to stay on it till the scale stayed the same next morning. On day 8 I didn't lose any more and I went and added back in my cheese and salsa and veggies and diet pop...and still losing now. I was very strict with the egg, meat fast. I about 6 eggs a day and plain meat...no veggies...chicken mostly...no seasonings, no nothing...just butter to fry my eggs...and drank only water. It's rather severe I know, but the weight comes off like you wouldn't believe, definitely breaks a stall..but I wouldn't recomend it for more than a week...gotta have those veggies..besides I was craving my cheese and salsa..lol...good luck!!!

misskimbee Fri, Feb-18-05 15:04

Melissa, what is "refeeding"?

Huskerchic Fri, Feb-18-05 15:16

Melissa: Did you eat canned tuna or canned salmon?
I eat chicken a lot, but I'm not really much of a hamburger, steak, (beef, I guess....) eater..

melissa Fri, Feb-18-05 15:43

Refeeding is having a day or 2 of carbs..pretty much everything you're not allowed..something like high fat or low fat carbs,,I'm not sure,so don't quote me on that...I did it the FIRST time I tried atkins and I lost 3lbs. the week I did it( I ate icecream and chocolate, candy, bread..all the really BAD stuff.) It's supposed to kickstart your system again if you're stalled....but then I did it again this go around and gained 5lbs, so I wouldn't suggest it! I wish I had known about the meat, egg fast then. Live and learn! :lol:
I didn't eat tuna because I would have to put mayo in it, and I didn't have salmon(because I don't like it..lol) But that should be fine. I'll give you an example of what I ate that week that worked for me...now remember, it's pretty severe, that's why I won't recomend it for more than a week, ok?
Breakfast: 3 fried eggs in butter, 4 strips of bacon(make sure u get the 0 carb bacon)
Lunch: Hamburg pattie grilled in butter(or on the foreman) with strips of bacon on top, and 2 hard boiled eggs
Dinner: Chicken breast on the foreman and 2 scrambled eggs.
I drank only water, no pop at all.
That is what I ate for 7 days in a row. No mayo, no cheese,no veggies, no condiments whatsoever, except butter.
It sucks, you wanna barf when you look at eggs eventually..but like I said it's better than refeeding with carbs to stop your stall.
good luck!!

GQueen Fri, Feb-18-05 20:04

I drink Diet Coke and I know plenty of people that drink coffee and it works for them. The big thing is to not go over 5 carbs is what they all say. But I lost 5 lbs after 2 days and I was at 6 carbs each day because I still would drink my unsweetened ice tea. But you can't eat cheese or anything else.

GQ :wave:

puddypark Fri, Feb-18-05 20:19

Can you do this like every other day?? One day meat/eggs and next day salad?? i am very interested but I don't think I could handle or afford it!

melissa Fri, Feb-18-05 22:05

Puddypark....
I don't know if it would work every other day..give it a shot....I'm only going to do it when I hit a stall..but really, I didn't think I could handle it, but BELIEVE me..when you see it coming off so fast you WILL stick to it :D
As for being expensive, it's not really. You're still doing the same diet, except cutting out the veggies, cheese and other condiments...it should save you money! :wave: