Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Main dishes (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Deep Dish Pizza Quiche (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=44087)

Dean4Prez Fri, Nov-07-03 04:21

I like the way it smells and tastes, and my non-LC wife likes it too.

HOWEVER, it seems to give us the runs :cry: -- her more so than me, but I've had to stay near the bathroom after eating it. Has anyone else had this problem?

DWRolfe Fri, Nov-07-03 12:12

:lol: Eww...Dean4Prez! What did you put on that thang? ;)

Seriously, wondering if it was too rich for y'all? Have you made it more than once and had the same reaction?

Donald

Supermommy Fri, Nov-07-03 12:35

Dean, I had the same exact thing happen to me last night.
I made it for the first time and have been sick since then. I have a feeling it was the eggs or that I did something worng. I did follow the recipe but made a few substitutions.
I used whipped cream cheese - you put it in the microwave for 40 seconds and it took about 30 seconds to whip it with the eggs. I also used Fat Free cheese and Turkey Pepperoni.
I am having it for luunch today... so we will see how it sits (no pun intended) later on.

My kids liked it and I love it as a next day meal !
I even baked a small extra one and threw it in freezer bags for quick meals.

Dean4Prez Sat, Nov-08-03 03:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWRolfe
:lol: Eww...Dean4Prez! What did you put on that thang? ;)

Seriously, wondering if it was too rich for y'all? Have you made it more than once and had the same reaction?

Donald

Yeah, same reaction both times. I followed the recipe. I don't think I made it too rich with cheese -- the coverage on the top layer was a lot skimpier than the typical pizzaria pizza. I've gone through days at a time when I would eat a a 1/4 pound of breakfast sausage (cooked, undrained) scrambled with 3 eggs and a good deal of cheese, so it would be surprising if the quiche was simply too rich. Also, I've made a number of standard quiches with cheese, cream, and eggs on this WOE, so I don't think it's that combination giving me the sh..., excuse me, fits. :)

I had pepperoni on my side and my wife had hamburger on hers. The first time I made it, I wound up cooking the hamburger almost crispy by mistake. The second time, it wasn't crispy, but I was sure it was well done. Beyond that, we had sliced Roma tomatoes, some green pepper, and mushrooms.

I don't know what it is. I'm willing to take a chance on it again for myself, but we're going to try a Boboli crust for my wife's pizza the next time I bake one of the quiches for myself.

miabella Sun, Nov-09-03 14:57

I made this last night and it was fabulous!!! Thank you , Donald.

Athena123 Tue, Nov-11-03 21:29

Eating my first piece now and yum yum yum is all I can say. VERY filling! Hope no one in the house steals my leftovers!

eric909 Mon, Nov-17-03 18:22

Thank You Thank YOU this is awsome dish

el corazón Wed, Nov-19-03 15:48

I made a different version (Satihaps) of this to scale it down...

1.5 oz cream cheese
1 egg
1 T. parmesan
1/2 C. mozzerella (1/4 C as base-1/4 C as topping)
2 T. tomato sauce
dash garlic

I didnt have a small pan to bake it in so I made it into 2 muffins in a muffin tin. YUM! Smells soooooo good cooking! This doesnt taste exactly like pizza, has a taste all its own...but I love it just the same!! I took it out a lil bit before it was supposed to cuz the top was starting to get brown...Question...Is the crust supposed to be crusty cuz mine was just spongey. Im excited to try the other *muffin* for lunch tomorrow cuz everyone says its SOOO much better cold! Im gonna try a bite cold, and then reheat it, and if its still just as good as it is right outta the oven im gonna make a whole dozen or maybe 1/2 dozen. All hale the pizza quiche inventer whoever he/she may be! :) Next on my list...maple chicken, pumpkin cheesecake, and tofu nuggets! This should be interesting!! Have a good day all!!!!

brandiwyne Sat, Nov-22-03 20:19

Tried this and loved it! I had been craving pizza so bad and now I can have it! Thank you, thank you, thank you! (I can't say it enough!)

patnaude12 Sat, Nov-29-03 09:17

Fabulous

Dear Donald,

DH and I had this for the first time last night, it was fabulous. :clap: :clap:

My DH doesn't LC and when he came to the dinner table he said "Ah Pizza!" I said that it was pizza but without the flour crust. He is a pizza lover and said that it doesn't matter about the crust. He ate several pieces and was still in love with it on the last piece that he ate. I will definitely make this again real soon. :thup: :thup:

I think it is the richness of this recipe along with the quantity of pepperoni that most people are reacting to. I don't care, I am going to eat the pizza no matter what. :yum: :yum:

Thanks again Donald. :bhug:

Carol :rose: :rose:

Angel66668 Sat, Nov-29-03 09:54

I have eaten this so much I can't ever eat it again.

el corazón Sat, Nov-29-03 10:14

Angel I really just laughed out loud! I do the SAME thing! I find something I like and eat it SOOOO often that eventually I get sick of it!! Im trying to learn to space stuff out and not eat the things I really like so often. That way I wont get sick of it! :D

curly Sun, Dec-14-03 17:40

thanks so much for sharing this recipe with us! :D

well, i've got the crust cooking right now. i can't wait to try it! :) i forgot to add the spices. doh! :doah: but the sauce is very well seasoned, so i think it will be ok. live and learn!

i made my own sauce, in case anyone else is interested:

hunt's tomato puree (1 can, 1.25 cups)
2 teaspoon italian seasoning
black pepper and salt to taste
2 cloves garlic
.25 cups chopped onion
2 tsp olive oil

combine tomato puree, italian seasoning, salt and pepper in a small saucepan.
crush garlic. saute in 1tsp olive oil until it begins to brown. be careful not to burn! add to tomato mixture. saute onion in 1tsp olive oil until they begin to brown. add to tomato mixture.
bring tomato mixture to boil, then reduce heat and simmer until ready. (i cooked it for about 25 minutes, but that was really a guess)

total calories: 124
fat: 9 grams
carbs: 10 grams
fiber: 2 grams
net carbs: 8 grams

if any of you are italian out there and can let me know how to make the sauce better (more flavorful) without adding carbs, i'd LOVE to hear it. :)

i'll report back after i eat it. toppings tonight will be pepperoni and a little bit of onion. (darn that they have so many carbs!)

curly Sun, Dec-14-03 18:59

donald! kudos to you! that pizza quiche was delicious! i know this is going to be a staple in my diet! :D

p.s. my diabetic roomate hasn't gotten home yet, but i know she's going to want to thank you too!

maryc Sun, Dec-14-03 19:56

I took the Pizza Quiche to a CHristmas Party Last night. Everyone loved it. One lady wanted the recipe so I gave it to her this morning. They were all surprized that it was low carb.

Have a great day!!