Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Salads Veggies & Side Dishes (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Cabbage recipie (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=268439)

RD64 Sun, Oct-02-05 03:44

Cabbage recipie

Another recipie by me the alpha male...lol...I like to make cabbage by cutting up a head of it into small pieces then put it in a large pot with a about a inch of water and cook on the stovetop on med/high . Keep stirring the cabbage and cook until very soft. Drain water from the pot and put a half stick of butter in it to melt. Make some scramled eggs and add it in then cook some bacon and break into pieces and add this as well. You can also put in some of the bacon grease for flavor. Its awsome and I can eat the whole pot in one sitting. Very low carb too.

LadyBelle Sun, Oct-02-05 11:51

I do close to the same thing, only without boiling the cabbage first. also works great for zucchini hashbrowns. I'll do the frying in bacon grease and crumble bacon in, but sometimes I'll have the eggs runny so the veggies can sop up the yolk since no toast.

BBDoll Tue, Oct-18-05 23:55

I did something similar to this:
The other day I scrambled eggs with some chorizo sausage and ate them on a bed of raw shredded cabbage. I suppose steamed cabbage would work, too. It was pretty yummy.

bioteclady Sun, Oct-23-05 13:46

I do something similar but without the eggs. I will fry up the bacon and then set it aside and crumble it. Then throw the cabbage into the bacon grease with some onions and cook it down for a while, then toss the bacon back in with some chopped hot red peppers that we have. IT is very yummy.

losenow Sun, Sep-23-07 12:13

I like cooked (boiled) cabbage with some butter and a little vinegar... yum!

penelope Thu, Nov-29-07 20:46

I love sauteed cabbage in butter with one thin slice of onion. I prefer the cabbage to be a bit crunchy. I also like to add a can of chicken broth and make a soup out of it.

jdray Thu, Nov-29-07 21:27

I have been making something similar lately.I take hamburger and put in a pot ad chopped up cabbage maybe some baby portabella mushrooms. Add a half stick of butter or so.Keep stiring until the hamburger is brown and the cabbage is soft. It's really good.

AmaniNura Thu, Dec-27-07 16:35

I love cabbage rolls, I make a modified recipe of cabbage, ground beef, sausage, sauerkraut and some tomatoes for flavor. Lots of pepper and very meaty! YUM Guess what I am having for dinner

Havi2000 Tue, Apr-29-08 06:21

Hi everyone! First post as you can see....yesterday was my first day...I made it!! Came up with a cabbage recipe that I thought was pretty good:

1/2 head green cabbage, thin sliced & chopped

1/2 cup canola oil
3 T white vinegar
3 individual packets of Splenda
the packet of seasoning mix from chicken ramen noodles

sunflower seeds
chopped peanuts

Mix dressing, pour over cabbage, add sunflower seeds & peanuts to your preference. Of course this is easy to alter with your choice of oil, vinegars, sweetener, & varied nuts. Something crunchy!!

bike2work Tue, Apr-29-08 07:05

Welcome Havi and congratulations on completing your first day!

iluvlsu Thu, May-01-08 16:26

So from what I gather I should fry bacon and then toss in some cabbage in the drippings and cook it? My two questions are - how much cabbage should I put in and what consistency should the cabbage be when I stop the cooking?

LadyBelle Fri, May-23-08 16:05

iluvlsu - I get a bag of "Angel Slaw" which is just shredded cabbage. Occasionally i will shred my own, but the bag is just easier.

I normally use around half a bag, basically enough to cover the bottom of the pan and looks like a decent amount to have that morning. Then I cook it until parts are starting to brown and all of the cabbage is coated evenly and soft.