Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Nutrition & Supplements (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=131)
-   -   The Great CLA EXperiment (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=309311)

Annabel33 Sun, Sep-10-06 21:16

The Great CLA EXperiment

Could everyone starting on CLA come and post on this thread?

We'll need your waist measurement and the 'largest part' measurement around your tum which is carrying the fat.
I'm running my own experiment in my journal (day 1 today) but there are lots of people doing this too and it could benefit others if we record our results here.
We also need to record side effects of this stuff too.

Hope more people join in. :)

My measurements are:

Waist... pulled in slightly 40 inches
Waist... relaxed 42 inches

Widest chubby bit just below my waist is around 45 inches... shockingly!

First day on CLA today. You'll need to keep to plan, not do anything different than you normally do so that we can have an accurate picture of what's happening for you.

Cheers everyone.

babe Sun, Sep-10-06 23:50

upper abdomen 45"
waist 44.5"
hips 48"

Annabel33 Mon, Sep-11-06 04:55

Good on you Babe... Anyone else going to join in?

Sapphire2 Mon, Sep-11-06 12:59

I haven't purchased mine yet, but I will this week. I read up on it and I think I owe it to myself to try it at least for the next three months. Here is a good link for anyone interested in learning more about CLA (Tonalin).

http://www.tonalin.com/content/view/12/28/lang,english/

daisyboo Mon, Sep-11-06 15:30

I'll post as soon as i'm not bloated from TOM otherwise you'll all think it works really really fast!!!!!!!!! :lol: should be in next 7 days

daisy xxx

Annabel33 Mon, Sep-11-06 17:02

Cheers Daisy. Look forward to seeing you. :)

msdbobby Mon, Sep-11-06 17:30

Hi,
Count me in. I'm not looking forward to measuring!!
I ordered from the same place as Sapphire, I don't have it yet. I'll post my measurements when my order comes in.

Citruskiss Mon, Sep-11-06 18:57

I bought the CLA tonight...just have to find my measuring tape.

How much will all of you be taking for this experiment? The bottle I got is 1000mg, and the suggested dose is 2 capsules twice a day with meals. This being said, I've seen others say that they've had success with just 2 caps per day. The bottle I got is the 'tonalin' kind, but only 60 capsules - $12.98 USD I think it was. At 4 caps per day, this is only a two-week supply.

I'll report back in with measurements. I'll use the handyman's tape measure if I have to...lol!

Sara

Sapphire2 Mon, Sep-11-06 19:06

CITRUSKISS from all I've read, the suggested daily intake of Tonalin® CLA is one 1000mg capsule (1g) three times daily with food, for a total of three grams per day. Ordering Tonalin online seems to be a better deal. I ordered Tonalin CLA, 1000mg with Safflower oil for $16.99 including S&H ....120 gel tablets. The link is below.

http://www.gonsi.com/products/produ...ku-835003001705

Citruskiss Mon, Sep-11-06 19:25

Thanks for the tip...I just happened to be in WalMart and this was the only kind available. If I like the supplement, I'll be sure to order it online next time.

Annabel33 Mon, Sep-11-06 20:17

Hi Citrus... Nice to see you and great that you're joining in. I see some people take 4000g of the stuff but I'm on 3000 which is the recommended dose on the bottle.

Day two today and I'm not experiencing any side effects. I'm told that it can give you gas and loosen stools somewhat but no difference for me.

Annabel33 Mon, Sep-11-06 20:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphire2
CITRUSKISS from all I've read, the suggested daily intake of Tonalin® CLA is one 1000mg capsule (1g) three times daily with food, for a total of three grams per day. Ordering Tonalin online seems to be a better deal. I ordered Tonalin CLA, 1000mg with Safflower oil for $16.99 including S&H ....120 gel tablets. The link is below.

http://www.gonsi.com/products/produ...ku-835003001705

Hi Sapphire,
Nice to have you joining in. Don't forget to measure, guys. We need to show if this stuff works ... I hear for some it's good and for others the effect can wear off but if we don't try we don't know.

:)

Goddessrhi Mon, Sep-11-06 21:47

I'm in. I got mine tonight.

Starting:
Bust-46
Under bust-39
Waist-39
Hips-46

This should be interesting.

Sapphire2 Mon, Sep-11-06 21:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabel33
Hi Sapphire,
Nice to have you joining in. Don't forget to measure, guys. We need to show if this stuff works ... I hear for some it's good and for others the effect can wear off but if we don't try we don't know.

:)

Thanks for the welcome Annabel. I most definately will measure before taking the product to guage it's effectness. I ordered online this afternoon, so I expect to have it by weeks end. I will post my measurements on the day I receive my bottle. Of course, I could post them tomorrow morning. I don't expect my measurement to change any between tomorrow and the time I receive my bottle. It's going to be interesting to see how/if CLA will work for us individually.

Annabel33 Mon, Sep-11-06 22:19

Ladies, anyone not wanting to post measurements here is fine... We all understand it can be a bit ... public!
I think the important thing is that you record them somewhere and then at least post the inches lost. This way we don't stop people joining in. :)

fallsgal Tue, Sep-12-06 07:00

Hi count me in. I'm totally frustrated that I can't seem to shift the belly/upper tummy fat. I'm 29" at belly button, 30 1/2" at about three inches above the belly button, but 32 1/2" about three inches below the belly button. I bought Organika "High Potency" 85% CLA in 1000 mg capsules. It's from safflower oil which is the only kind they had. Did not see any Tonlin or whatever.

I have been off LC a tad the last week or so as my poor old Mum is heading into her last few weeks on earth - Alzheimer's stopping her from eating and drinking, and bad heart, bad BP - so things are a little stressed around here! I'm making my DS a cheesecake (Stella, of course) but I'm sure I'm off plan somewhat - oh that glass of wine or three at the end of the day at the nursing home sure is a comfort!!! HOWEVER, this little experiment is enough to kick me in the pants and tell me I need to ride the stress out with good LC stuff and some CLA!!!

foxgluvs Tue, Sep-12-06 07:23

I will join Annabel, but I am going to see how you lot do first ;) I actually want to see how the gym works out too and secondly I don't have the money for the suppliment right at this moment in time....but I will be keeping an eye on your guys....hope you get really good results because if you do, I might just have to find the money to get some!
Where did you find out about it?

Annabel33 Tue, Sep-12-06 07:55

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CLA-1000-Stro...1QQcmdZViewItem

Got mine off ebay! :D

Annabel33 Tue, Sep-12-06 07:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallsgal
Hi count me in. I'm totally frustrated that I can't seem to shift the belly/upper tummy fat.

Hi Fallsgal... glad you've joined us. I hope this will help refocus you a little. I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. I lost both grandmothers to Alzheimers so I know what you're going through. :(

NYNikki Tue, Sep-12-06 09:06

Diabetic's and CLA

I think it's great to have such a following but as I am a diabetic and ran into problems using CLA I would advise any Diabetic's taking part to keep a close eye on their sugar while giving CLA a try. I won't go into my negative results and CLA might not effect you as it did me but it is a best to keep watch.

Good Luck to all and hope you get wonderful results!

Nikki

Citruskiss Tue, Sep-12-06 12:52

I measured my waist and the widest part of my lower abdomen, as Annabel33 has done.

Waist 36"
Fattest part of abdomen (below waist): 46" (!!!!! yikes!)

Citruskiss Tue, Sep-12-06 12:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNikki
I think it's great to have such a following but as I am a diabetic and ran into problems using CLA I would advise any Diabetic's taking part to keep a close eye on their sugar while giving CLA a try. I won't go into my negative results and CLA might not effect you as it did me but it is a best to keep watch.

Good Luck to all and hope you get wonderful results!

Nikki

Thank you for pointing this out...I read something about that as I googled CLA last night.

My question is - if you're not diabetic, nor pre-diabetic - do you think this supplement would do any harm? The reason I ask is because on my last physical, my blood sugar was 98 after fasting for 12 hours - the doc thought this was a little on the high side. I'm not well-versed in what 'good numbers' should be, and the doctor didn't really say I was pre-diabetic or anything, but just reported back that number to me as being a little on 'the high side'.

Sorry to hijack the thread - Nikki doesn't have a journal, so there wasn't really a way for me to ask the question that way.

The other thing I came across in researching CLA is that it can sometimes mess with cholesterol too, but that's only if someone stays on it for months and months (like a year or more), and it doesn't happen to everyone.

I'm going to try it for a month and keep measuring my waist and the fattest part of my abdomen because I've seen a lot of studies showing that CLA does reduce body fat, particularly around the abdomen, and I'm interested in seeing if it'll help me.

Sara

Annabel33 Tue, Sep-12-06 16:53

From what I have read, it seems to be safe for non diabetic people. I've been reading testemonials from people who've been on it for years, but my view is that it's useful in short term bursts rather than continuous use.
For some people the effect can wear off anyway, but I can't find anything online which suggests the amount of time on it.

Citrus, I have 'interesting' numbers too, similar actually to yours, but am told that I am not insulin resistant. I think if we're trying something new, we all just have to keep an eye on what's happening to us.

Day three for me today. Still no unpleasant side effects.

Um, I appear to have shrunk about half an inch on my waist though.... :thup:

That's interesting!

Citruskiss Tue, Sep-12-06 20:23

Quote:
Um, I appear to have shrunk about half an inch on my waist though..

Woo hoo! In just three days? That's great :)

I managed to remember to take two of my 1000mg tonalin CLA capsules. Only had two actual meals today and took a CLA after each one. Maybe I'll take another before bed. The bottle I bought suggests 2 caps 2x a day, but I was kinda hoping I could take less than that so as to make the bottle last a bit longer.

I wonder if it'll make much difference if I take 2, 3 or the 4 caps per day as suggested on the bottle?

I'll do the best I can and keep an eye on my measurements.

Know what I like about this CLA experiment? The idea that we're all just taking it, watching measurements and sticking with our own LC WOE. If this stuff works, it shouldn't matter which plan we're on...right?

Sara

Annabel33 Tue, Sep-12-06 20:33

Given that CLa inhibits lipoprotein lipase, (the enzyme that breaks fat down in the body ) in all of us, and prevents the amount of fat stored in the body, it makes no difference to the plan imo, but lets see what people experience. It will be interesting to see.

I'm taking the stuff as suggested so getting 3000 a day. That's 6 caps for me. I would take as suggested, or if you want, take less and lets see if your results match others. :idea:

You can be the control group :lol: :D

Citruskiss Tue, Sep-12-06 20:49

Very funny Annabel - I wanna lose weight just as much as the next person :lol:

I'll take what it says to take on the bottle - which is 2 caps twice a day...that'll have me at 4,000mg.

YOU can be the control group.... :D

Just kidding!

Annabel33 Tue, Sep-12-06 22:39

Doh!

Well, I'll stick to the 3000, and you take the 4000. The US has different guidelines for such things than Europe and Australia where I am now... I'm happy to take the 3000 and see where it gets me. :D

foxgluvs Wed, Sep-13-06 00:19

Is this suppliment meant to take your weight down as well as inches? I find it interesting all this, but as you have no idea what you weigh Annabel, has anyone else weighed in before starting taking this suppliment to see if there is a reduction in weight as well as fat around the middle?

Goddessrhi Wed, Sep-13-06 00:58

Since it builds lean muscle as it helps eliminate fat, there is a chance it wouldn't change your weight significantly. Not sure yet, though. I figure if this can help get rid of the dangerous abdominal fat, that is enough to make me happy.

Annabel33 Wed, Sep-13-06 01:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxgluvs
Is this suppliment meant to take your weight down as well as inches? I find it interesting all this, but as you have no idea what you weigh Annabel, has anyone else weighed in before starting taking this suppliment to see if there is a reduction in weight as well as fat around the middle?

I guess if it removes enough abdominal fat, then it might have some impact on your weight, but probably only by a pound or two. Even if I did know what I weigh, I don't know if I caught myself on a high weight day (weight fluctuates, as you know.. ;) ) or a low weight day. I aso wouldn't know if it's because of low carbing or because of the CLA. I'm just hoping for a difference in the abdo fat, because that is what it claims to do.

Say, I wonder if it will shift thigh fat too.... :D

So far, half an inch, maybe a little more. I'm being conservative.