Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   LC Research/Media (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Nina Teicholz on Tufts Food Compass (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=485416)

cotonpal Mon, Feb-06-23 07:47

Nina Teicholz on Tufts Food Compass

https://unsettledscience.substack.c...XxdFBDNhYPSX0fE

"As I asked rhetorically in my earlier Substack on this topic: What kind of dystopian world has nutrition “science” entered into whereby a university, a peer-reviewed journal, and one of the field’s most influential leaders legitimize advice telling the public to eat more Lucky Charms and fewer eggs?

In my view, the explanation is that the world of nutrition has become so enmeshed with corporate interests that experts don’t even realize their ‘expert views’ are dangerously close to industry propaganda. The growing encroachment of corporate influence in the field has been going on since 1941 at least, when General Foods, Quaker Oats, Heinz, the Corn Products Refining Corporation and other then-nascent food processing companies founded the “Nutrition Foundation,” to funnel money into universities for nutrition research.4 Now, the practice of food and pharmaceutical corporations influencing science, professional organizations, conferences etc. is completely normalized."

GRB5111 Mon, Feb-06-23 08:29

Received this in email form this morning from Unsettled Science, and not a message with which I wanted to start the week, but to be fair, it's hardly surprising. We've seen this behavior more and more lately. The problem I have is that many of us have watched this happen where those who desire to form the world's thoughts and policies are able to financially enlist willing accomplices in the science, academic, and political arenas. It seems these enlisted folks, many who border on sociopathic behavior, fueled by financial gains and other favors, are only too eager to distort the truth for personal gain.

We've had discussions on this forum regarding Tuft's Food Compass, and the potential it had to be used as the preferred tool to inform the public about food nutrition. Yes, it's a joke. No, it's not going away soon, as Dariush Mozaffarian has taken a leave of absence from his position at Tuft's to work with the World Economic Forum and the WHO to use this tool to establish global food policies. You really couldn't make this up in a bad dream. I'll just defer to Joe Rogan's comment that the Food Compass rankings are “complete, undeniable, indefensible BS.”

To end on a positive tone, many who participate on this forum have already decided they are not going to let conventional and popular messaging form their opinions about what constitutes healthy food choices. It's really a time to be more strident and outspoken about things like the Food Compass, as it's simply another example of the growing lack of concern for human welfare, and it's unacceptable.

Ms Arielle Mon, Feb-06-23 09:21

As one who speaks up whenever an opportunity arises, the masses have closed ears. In fairness, i too , didn't listen. That new info didn't fit with the well ingrained info.

Then I saw two women at my workplace shed the pounds. The said Atkins but couldn't explain the science.

A few months later, after quitting that job, i purposely looked for a copy of DANDR. And read with 🤨 distrust. Atkins presented an overwhelming number of studies and convinced me his method works. I tried it and for the first time lost weight. Made me a believer.

I try to tell a friend with gastric issues to try ACV. But as a nursing student, she knows that won't work. What I know is that I dont have an MD so my info is bunk.But I keep trying.

A friend tried Whole30. And now lives that diet. We have wonderful food conversations now. A 180 from her deaf ears.

Fortunately, my kids had to listen to mom. The far reaching benefit is my children grew up questioning the pyramid. Not allowed to eat school lunches. Learned to raise chickens for eggs and meat. Question the food supply system.

To ask how does a person benefit from taking a position? It is money driven? Companies are money driven. Question motives. All food companies are profit driven.

My kids think and not only question food but also applies questioning beyond food. They think.

Too many don't think.

cotonpal Mon, Feb-06-23 09:51

As far as I can tell I've never been able to convince anyone of anything related to food. It's as if they see me as some kind of special case and that my experience has nothing to do with them. Or they see themselves as special cases and no matter what I say their special circumstances make my advice meaningless. I've pretty much given up trying to change anyone's mind on the individual level, unless they ask and even when that happens they usually revert back to their old ways. On the larger societal level, government food policies have the ability to cause so much harm so I am willing to ad my voice in any small way I can but it feels like spitting in the wind.

GRB5111 Mon, Feb-06-23 10:22

I, too, never comment or discuss food choices with friends, family and acquaintances. What I do is to be very critical of the "system" of bad ideas to which we are subjected. The Food Compass is simply one of those system tools. Others are the DGA, Eat Lancet, the USDA, FDA, and many other agenda-based groups that are sponsored by organizations and companies never concerned with truly identifying the root causes of our current health epidemic. These are the sources from which most of today's population forms perceptions of what constitutes good health, and they need to be challenged to prove what they claim. Most often, they aren't.

Alright, I'm off my soapbox and going to find my Lucky Charms to embrace what I'm told is really healthy . . . . and maybe watch an Idiocracy rerun . . .

cotonpal Mon, Feb-06-23 10:29

I had never heard of Idiocracy but I just googled it and now I might just have to watch it. I think a bowl of Frosted Mini Wheats will accompany my viewing since they are at the top of the Food Compass.

Dodger Mon, Feb-06-23 15:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
I had never heard of Idiocracy but I just googled it and now I might just have to watch it. I think a bowl of Frosted Mini Wheats will accompany my viewing since they are at the top of the Food Compass.

I looked up the nutrition of Frosted Miniwheats and it has more added sugar than protein. A candy bar might be just as healthy!

deirdra Mon, Feb-06-23 17:31

Eating the cardboard box and popping a multivitamin would probably be healthier. I sure hope Dariush Mozaffarian doesn't get invited to speak at any Metabolic Health-type symposia anymore.

JEY100 Mon, Feb-13-23 03:14

New article by Marty Kendall:

Is Tufts University’s Food Compass Nutrient Profiling System ‘Broken’?

Quote:

Tufts University’s Friedman School of Nutrition released their Food Compass nutrient profiling system in the journal Nature Food in October 2021.

Food Compass uses a quantitative ranking algorithm across nine domains to rank foods from 1 to 100.

But Food Compass is not just another theoretical research paper. The stated aim of the Tufts Food Compass is ‘to ‘to discriminate healthfulness of foods for front of package labelling, warning labels, taxation, company ratings, and more.’

As you will see, the Food Compass rankings are likely to form the foundation of future food public policy in the US and the rest of the world over the next fifty years.

However, since its release, many have noted that the Tufts University Food Compass’s nutrient profiling system provides surprising and non-sensical results, with many ultra-processed foods ranking above minimally processed, nutrient-dense whole food options.

Many companies that make the foods that rank near the top also have provided financial support. Sadly, it appears that the pull of financial conflicts of interest and belief-based nutrition may have distorted the Food Compass ranking algorithm.

In this article, we review Food Compass’s nine ranking factors to understand whether they will really help us increase satiety, avoid obesity and thus keep us healthy.

Quote:
Food Compass Weighting for Fibre and Protein
Good news: the Food Compass nutrient profiling system includes fibre and protein in its ranking factors.
Bad news: the weighting for these critical parameters is very low.
Protein and fibre—the most critical factors influencing satiety—have been grouped in one domain and given half the weighting. The chart [in article linked] shows the relative weighting given to each ranking factor (domain) used by Food Compass. The little brown slice in the top left represents protein and fibre combined. Their system only weighted 6.7% to protein and fibre!

Quote:
Summary

Our review of the Food Compass nutrient profiling system against our very own data-driven satiety analysis suggests that:

Protein and fibre are included, but they are vastly underweighted if Food Compass’s goal is to promote nutrient density and satiety so we can begin reversing the diabesity epidemic.

Promoting unsaturated fats while penalising cholesterol and saturated fat only perpetuates the increased use of nutrient-poor and refined vegetable oils that now contribute a significant proportion of the energy in modern ultra-processed foods.

Including other factors like nutrient ratios, food-based ingredients, specific lipids, additives, and processing only dilutes the system and skews it towards more processed foods.

Simply thinking in terms of essential nutrients—including fibre and amino acids—per calorie is more than adequate for ranking foods and meals that optimise satiety and support metabolic health.

https://optimisingnutrition.com/tuf...ass/#more-25404

WereBear Mon, Feb-13-23 04:20

As a side note: NOOM is the weight loss app that is based on calories, low fat, and a stoplight systems for good/bad foods.

I worked with a person who loved NOOM and thought eating that way was The Answer and she did lose a little weight and I have since learned she had to have her gallbladder out.

The world has to shake off the pyramid schemes that grabs one line from a petri dish study, build it into an overpriced smoothie, and lets some corporate cult tell people it's the answer to their health problems.

I've had my views of food regularly thrown off cliffs and washed ashore different quite a few times now. Because everything is filtered through profit and they are taking people's organs out because they won't comply.

Future historians will write books about mass delusion, and it's going to be about Ancel (*#&^%(& Keyes and his career being more important than millions dying early and in pain.