Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   General Low-Carb (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   The Crystal Light Experience (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=426414)

*Jenn* Mon, Apr-11-11 11:45

The Crystal Light Experience

I've made it over a year on Atkins drinking only water, coffee, plain iced tea, and the occasional diet pop and glass of wine.

I am at the point where I'd like to add in a little more variety. I miss sipping on ice-cold lemonade, for example. I drool over the cherry limeades in the Sonic TV commercials. My husband stopped into a gas station over the weekend while we were on a road trip and he bought me a flavored water. It was a nice break!

Have you experienced stalls due to consuming sugar-free beverage powders? Are there are types/brands that I should steer clear of? Or is it best to avoid them all together?

Syrah Mon, Apr-11-11 12:00

I have 1-2 individual packets of Crystal Lite or something similar a day. Hasn't caused any problems for me. That said, I like to steer away from aspartame and prefer to use the splenda-sweetened ones. The other thing that I avoid like the plague is anything with maltodextrin in it. That's in Splenda spoonful -- it gives me an insulin spike and then the most horrible cravings.

melibsmile Mon, Apr-11-11 12:08

I think this is one of those YMMV things. Some people may have issues with it, and others won't have any problems. You'd have to experiment and figure out whether they are an issue for you. I actually prefer the taste of water, so I have no interest in things like Crystal Light, but to each their own. Good luck.

--Melissa

scthgharpy Mon, Apr-11-11 12:17

Watch out for the crystal lite teas, they have more carbs in them. Otherwise, I like my crystal lite lemonade and crystal geyser flavored mineral waters.

cldade55 Mon, Apr-11-11 16:12

I put lemon juice and lime juice in water and drink at lot of plain and flavored seltzer. I an working on raspberry lime right now.

Requin Mon, Apr-11-11 16:34

I use flavouring extracts and flavoured stevia. Sometimes, I use them in conjunction with iced herbal teas and or lemon/lime water

Dodger Mon, Apr-11-11 17:23

I am a Crystal Light addict.

cnmLisa Mon, Apr-11-11 19:26

I've decided that Crystal Light is a no go for me. I think it's what's tweeking my hunger. I'm cutting it out. Like anything YMMV.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa

MAdkins Mon, Apr-11-11 20:17

Well phooey!! I just posted this question in the foods part and then come here and find this!! I loved the honey lemon tea a few weeks ago, but was afraid it made my strips lighten. Strips lightening bad. So I guess I'll stay off of the CL until I am where I want to be and just need to maintain.

Thanks!

Melissa