Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Gym Logs (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Metamorphosis (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=22629)

Natrushka Fri, Oct-05-01 07:19

Metamorphosis

Great idea, an exercise Journal. While I do keep track of this in my main journal, I can see how having this would be beneficial. I don't really have any specific goals with regard to working out, I have been doing it for 13 years because it makes me feel good; inside and out.

I have recently begun resistance training / lifting some weights in an effort to tone up and increase lean muscle mass. Slightly increase muscle mass that is. I am most interested in upper body, as my lower body has always been toned from the nordictrack, years of joggin and just as many years of biking. I actually like my legs :rolleyes: go figure. Abs and biceps, triceps are my bigger concern. Again, I want to be careful with shoulders and back as I spent my youth as a competitive swimmer and wider shoulders are something I do not need! Although I have noticed that they are much more square of late, and overall my posture has improved.

This is my schedule for yesterday:

5:40 a.m. 35 minutes on Nordictrack ~ medium intensity
stretching and cool down - 7 minutes

5:30 p.m. No cardio today, stretching then straight into Ab workout:
3 sets of 15 side bends (using broom handle over shoulders)
3 sets of 50 crunches
2 sets of 20 side crunches
3 sets of 40 reverse crunches
more stretching.

Ok, I have a question if anyone is reading ;) I feel nothing from the crunches the next day. Occaisionally I can tell i've worked the obliques; but that's cause I just started with them a week ago. I am doing these properly, I pull the muslces in and I contract them for every move, I will occaisionally hold the move or to 20 very quick ones for variety. But today? nadda. I did feel them at first, mind you. And it is much easier now than it was 6 weeks ago, I can feel the muscles working, the pulling in and down instead of the reaching up as in a sit up. Just curious, should I be feeling more the day after? In my defence, I dont feel the squats or lunges like I used to either, and I never feel the calf raises, and I work those (all of those muscle groups) to exhaustion.

Any comments would be welcome.

Nat

Shonnee Fri, Oct-05-01 16:38

Nat,
I have had the same problem with not feeling my ab muscles. I ended up buying a ab-slide and I use that along with my crunches and I end up feeling like I have worked out my ab's the night or even that morning. Might want to give that a try.
Shondel

fiona Sat, Oct-06-01 07:10

Blimey ...!!!

Reading through these Gym logs it's becoming clear i am going to have to learn a new language here before I can begin to understand what you lot are going on about !!!! LOL

{Nat: as my lower body has always been toned from the nordictrack, years of joggin and just as many years of biking.} What is a nordictrack? my lowerbody needs a good toning up. I hate jogging (asthma and breath problems) Tried biking ... can't even keep my legs on the pedals !! :mad: :eek:

{5:30 p.m. No cardio today, stretching then straight into Ab workout: } I am sooooo impressed and inspired by your early waking up to exercise. Need to educate myself about Ab and crunches etc. Hopefully reading the journals will help.

Keep it up. U R Absolutely Fabulous.
Take care.

Natrushka Sat, Oct-06-01 09:18

Good morning Fiona! Thanks for reading. It still amazes me that people do venture in for a peak :)

A nordictrack is a cross country ski machine. There are many on the market, but nordictrack has been making them for about 30 years and they are workhorses. I use mine just about every day and have done so since I got it in 1996; it has taken a lot of punishment! Its good aerobic exercise and its soft on the old knees and joints. It does take some getting used to though; at first you feel like you're going to fall off.. but like anything practice makes perfect. Here's a picture of one: http://www.nordictrack.com/cgi-bin/...3&rootcat=46525 unfortunately the gentleman on the skier doesnt come with it ;)

Yesterday:

35 minutes workout on nordictrack medium intesity
5 minutes cool down / stretching

No resistance training, bakes pies and cakes for this weekend instead :)

Nat

P.S. Shondel, thanks for the advice. I am not yet prepared to give up on my crunches. I've been told that they are the ultimate way to gain that six-pack; spending more money on equipment is just not feasible right now. I will keep it in mind though :D

fiona Sat, Oct-06-01 14:00

Thanks Nat

{Nat: It still amazes me that people do venture in for a peak }
Of course people will read. Often I read but don't post a reply so perhaps people don't realise their post has been read. Most people are insatiably curious about what other people are doing ... certainly true of me.

{ .... unfortunately the gentleman on the skier doesnt come with it }
Pity. He would definitely have swayed me into parting with that kind of money!! Thanks for taking the trouble to post the link.

{5 minutes cool down }
That's the bit about exercise I really really lovvvvvvvve. I could easily just lie there and cool down for 5 hours!!

Keep it up. Take care.

lisaf Sat, Oct-06-01 17:39

Ab Workout

Hi Nat!

Your routine sounds wonderful! I'm impressed with your 13 year track record too!

I know you're not too keen on buying equipment, but think about a physiotherapy ball...you can do amazing ab work with it. They're $30-$40. If you have kids, they love 'em too!

Lisa

Natrushka Sat, Oct-06-01 20:01

Re: Ab Workout

Quote:
Originally posted by lisaf
I know you're not too keen on buying equipment, but think about a physiotherapy ball...you can do amazing ab work with it. They're $30-$40. If you have kids, they love 'em too!

Lisa, this is something I have thought about, as it can be used in other exercises. Thx for reminding me.

LOL Fiona. I know what you mean about the money .... I had a mini seizure when my ex bought that machine. He never even used it, so I refused to let him take it when he left, logically I think ;)

Saturday:

Today I did the cardio only; had no intention of doing weight/resistance work.

8:30 a.m. 35 minutes nordictrack with four 2 minute intervals
5 min stretching and cool down

Nat

jonrees Mon, Oct-08-01 05:35

Gym balls

We've got one of those, though it was bought just before daughter's birth as a "birth ball" at exorbitant cost. As it was the labour was difficult/dangerous+++ so it was never used.

I've been advised to use it for some hyperextensions - lower back definitely a bit weak. Absolute hysteria, me rolling off and onto kitchen floor, all over the place. Totally impossible to balance. I'm now doing exercises on flat mat and they're helping the back ache.

I'm inspired too. In early August I was dreading the idea that I really should diet and exercise. Then I found DrA's NDR and then this site etc etc. I've got up early and exercised hard for the last two weeks. That really is a miracle.

Jon

Natrushka Mon, Oct-08-01 08:45

Re: Gym balls

Quote:
Originally posted by jonrees
I'm inspired too. In early August I was dreading the idea that I really should diet and exercise. Then I found DrA's NDR and then this site etc etc. I've got up early and exercised hard for the last two weeks. That really is a miracle.

Jon, seeing the changes in your attitude toward exercise is truly inspiring :) I have no doubt that you will be successful in your goals. I have been thinking about the exercise ball.... your comments bring images to mind of me trying to use one with a bunch of cats trying to help. They just love it when I do my ab routine.. maybe one or two of them sitting on my chest might help with some resistance? :lol:

Monday:

9:00 a.m. 40 minute workout on nordictrack with some interval training ... bulk done at medium intensity
10 minutes cool down

More later,
Nat

It's later....

40 minute walk aroun the neighbourhood. don't really consider this exercise, but i'll add it in anyway ;)

40 minute LB workout as follows:

5 minutes stretching
4 x 12 squats with 10 lbs 1 minute interval in between
4 x 30 deadlifts with 10 lbs
3 x 15 lunges (each side)
4 x 25 - 30 calf raises, each leg
3 x t-tapp leg move

3 x 15 side bends with broom handle
3 x 50 crunches
3 x 30 reverse crunches
3 x 20 side crunches (each side)

10 minutes stretching

feeling great now..... had a 30 minute hottub about a half hour after that workout.. delicious.

Nat

lisaf Tue, Oct-09-01 11:59

Birth as exercise!

Hi Jon -

Too funny - I have a physio ball because I also do labour support and I use it as a birth ball!

Seriously though - its great for core exercise because it works those stabilizing muscles all the time.

The bonus is that you get to look like an idiot for 1/2 an hour a day!!!!

Natrushka Tue, Oct-09-01 17:25

Tuesday:

5:45 am. 40 minute cardio at medium intensity (nordictrack)

Resistance Upper Body:

5:00 p.m.

Don't know the specific terms for everything... so bare with me

3 x 15 front raises w/ 10 lbs
3 x 15 side (lateral) raises w/ 10lbs
3 x 15 shoulder shrugs w/ 10lbs
3 x 15 rows w/ 10lbs
3 x 15 tricep curls w/ 10 lbs
3 x 20 skull crushers ? (behind head both hands dropping weight and raising above head... working triceps) w/ 5 lbs
3 x 15 overhead lifts w/ 10 lbs

stretching.

N

Natrushka Wed, Oct-10-01 19:10

Wednesday:

5:45 a.m. 30 minute workout on empty stomach ~ medium intensity, nordictrack
5 minute cool down

7:15 p.m. 45 minutes crunch class, aquafit

well aquafit was fun... didnt feel like that much of a workout.. tomorrow will tell. M def enjoyed herself... seems like we found a happy median.. she hates to sweat! ha.

Nat

fiona Thu, Oct-11-01 12:54

Wow!

Reading your journal is truly inspiring.

Natrushka Thu, Oct-11-01 13:46

Re: Wow!

Quote:
Originally posted by fiona
Reading your journal is truly inspiring.

Thanks, Fiona. You're too supportive for words :) I just love to exercise.. I am pleased that it seems to help others as much as it's helping me.

Nat

Natrushka Thu, Oct-11-01 19:11

Thursday

5:45 a.m: cardio, nordictrack, med intesity, empty stomach

no resistance today, had dinner out then BOD meeting.

Nat