Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Low-Carb Products (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   G Hughes Sugar Free BBQ Sauce (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=478560)

TucsonBill Sat, Nov-04-17 12:49

G Hughes Sugar Free BBQ Sauce

I tried it, it's very good!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/G-Hughes...-18-oz/40740655

Robin120 Sun, Nov-05-17 13:51

I like it, too :thup:

Meetow Kim Sat, Feb-24-18 15:04

Thanks, I just put it on my shopping list.

Heinz makes as 75% less sugar ketchup I just also saw at walmart.com that has the same 1 gram carb per tablespoon that might make a good base for homemade bbq sauce too.

Has anyone tasted the low sugar ketchup yet? Any good?

I haven't been in a hurry to make or find low carb ketchup because I realized I cant have the food I primarily use ketchup for...fries!

Stacy52 Mon, Feb-26-18 09:31

The low sugar Heinz is very good. I use it plain or make cocktail sauce with it

Meetow Kim Mon, Mar-05-18 15:15

Thanks Stacy,

Good to know. I'll try that ketchup. it may be useful in recipes since I cant have french fries!

I just smoked a rack of ribs yesterday and used some of the G Hughes sauce. It is OK, not fantastic. I have a very sensitive "artificial sugar" detector in my taste buds, and this sauce without a doubt was unmistakable as a sugar substitute product.

Even doing my usual, which is to cut sweet sauces with cider vinegar and hot sauce didn't get that artificial taste out. It was still a nice treat, sometimes I forget I can have ribs!...and I do them well, smoking them right at home.

I think I will work on my own recipe for BBQ sauce. I dont need a real sweet one, but having that thick "clingy" sauce makes a big difference with ribs, chicken, etc.. I think I could work a little magic with some broth, some dry spices, hot sauce, vinegar, Worcestershire, etc. and use some xanthan gum to make it thick.

OgreZed Sat, Apr-07-18 13:41

I use both Guy's and G. Hughes sugar free BBQ sauces. I think they're both made by the same company. I love the G. Hughes Hickory, but can't stand their honey or maple brown flavors. I like all of the Guy's varieties.

For ketchup, I always use the Heinz reduced sugar ketchup. I buy it by the 6-pack from Amazon on their "subscribe and save" plan. I have a bottle of the G. Hughes sugar free ketchup, but haven't tried it yet.

helper2 Wed, Apr-25-18 14:03

G. Hughs BBQ Sauce---

I love the Hickory. Even thinned a tad w/water. Works for me.

helper2

Robin120 Thu, Apr-26-18 07:30

Will have to keep eyes peeled for hickory, I only have found the honey and maple hughe's.

Heinz nsa catsup..... Sometimes I like to add eggs to my sf catsup :p I
I also love it on veggie burgers, chicken hot dogs, grilled chicken club sandwiches wrapped in lettuce....

PilotGal Thu, Apr-26-18 08:17

OOooooooooh, I love the Hickory flavored. Never had the others.
When I find them in stock, I buy as many bottles as I can afford, only because they don't restock as frequently.
Some people say they have found it at Publix.
I've never found it in my zip code.. just at Walmart. and some Walmarts don't stock it!

denky01 Thu, Apr-26-18 09:56

I enjoy both the hickory and less sugar Heinz

Bonnie OFS Mon, Apr-30-18 08:16

We use the no sugar added ketchup. The first time husband said it tasted off, but now he's used to it.

I'll look for the BBQ sauce. Being out in the boonies, our Walmart doesn't carry everything - but they might have this.

OgreZed Mon, Apr-30-18 09:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
Being out in the boonies, our Walmart doesn't carry everything - but they might have this.
I just order it from their web site. As long as the total for the order is over $35, there is no shipping charge.

Meme#1 Mon, Apr-30-18 09:23

I want some of this!
It looks like everyone likes the Hickory the best.