Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Paleolithic & Neanderthin (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=107)
-   -   unlimited veggies (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=485034)

JustAGirl Sun, Oct-10-21 02:06

unlimited veggies

Anyone doing Paleo with unlimited veggies?

Kristine Sun, Oct-10-21 06:06

I've done it, but for me, "unlimited" doesn't add up to a lot of veggies when I can't dress them up with butter, cheese and/or sour cream. :lol: It was mainly avocados, tomatoes, mushrooms, peppers, onions, cabbage... things that I liked with bacon or into a stir-fry or coconut curry. I don't care for greens.

(ETA) Also condiment veggies like pickles and jarred salsa.

JEY100 Sun, Oct-10-21 11:09

I now eat waaayyyy more veggies than when very low carb, vegetables are unlimited in the Dr. Ted Naiman plan I follow. But when also emphasizing protein, I am just not hungry enough to meet my goal. The last challenge when I tracked food in Cronometer, my goal was 20% net carb, and I only hit 17%. That was only 52 g total carbs with 13 g fiber when eating fewer calories... because the protein and nutrients and fiber in the foods are so satiating.
This was a weight loss challenge...if you are trying to maintain your weight, with less protein, you could fit in more vegetables. I was eating a wide variety of green vegetables, salads, greens, small roots/tubers like carrots, white potato and became addicted to raw sugar snap peas.

cotonpal Sun, Oct-10-21 13:58

I eat lots of veggies in volume. I don't know whether you would call it unlimited but I have a big salad every day (romaine, pepper, tomato, scallion, cucumber) and often another green like boy choy or chard or kale or collards. Carbs used to be 5% of my food. They are now 10%. That is net carbs. Total carbs is about 50 gms.

JustAGirl Thu, Oct-14-21 01:43

Thank you ladies.
I eat a lot of raw greens and other vegs, plus a lot of cooked broccoli and cauliflower and any other low carb vegs I find on sale.

Benay Mon, Jun-06-22 05:00

Dr. Davis in his new book, Super Gut, cautions against limiting your diet to just protein and fat. He strongly recommends vegetables.

I wish I had read his book before I developed IBS-D from limiting my daily vegetable intake.

Ms Arielle Mon, Jun-06-22 07:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
Dr. Davis in his new book, Super Gut, cautions against limiting your diet to just protein and fat. He strongly recommends vegetables.

I wish I had read his book before I developed IBS-D from limiting my daily vegetable intake.

I'm on board with consuming whole vegetable matter.

Imho we can often improve the gut function.

By including the microbes AND it's foods.

I've been keenly watching Stacey of the channel "Doug and Stacey" teaching how to ferment fresh vegetables. Fermented veggies provide both the microbes and it's food AND it has started to become easier to digest.

I suspect if a particular food is a problem it might become not even a problem. Or not. Would require testing.