Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   South Beach Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   Welcome to the SBD Forum (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=234138)

alaka Mon, Jul-02-07 11:40

Hello,
I have a question -- why does it say progress 40% when this is just my first day!

alaka Mon, Jul-02-07 11:54

Thanks Katrina,
I am sure going to try. Hoping for your ongoing support and advise. It is almost 2:00 PM and I have not eaten any lunch, but I already have prepared chopped salad (spinach, celery, cucumber, radish, tomato boilded eggs with Yogurt + Meyo dressing) -- got to go!

med234 Mon, Jul-02-07 14:16

40% lost because you have put your starting weight as 10lbs more than your current weight.

Judynyc Mon, Jul-02-07 14:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaka
Hello,
I have a question -- why does it say progress 40% when this is just my first day!

Yes, med is right, go into your profile and adjust your current weight to 160, not 150. :idea:

The Meal Plan Guide is not in the book itself as it comes from the official SBD web site. You can certtainly follow the menus in the book but many people like to create their own.

alaka Tue, Jul-03-07 08:04

I modified my profile today for the current weight of 159 - lost 1 lb in a day - could be water weight and the progress shows 4% much better.
I am going to be ok today most of the day but this evening I am going to a friends house to play tennis have dinner there but I plan to drink a smoothy before leaving and stick to vegies at her house wish me luck!

MammaD10 Thu, Jul-12-07 11:24

I just have to say , Im enjoying the plan. I feel good , the scale is moving downward again! And you all are so nice & motivating.

Judynyc Thu, Jul-12-07 12:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaD10
I just have to say , Im enjoying the plan. I feel good , the scale is moving downward again! And you all are so nice & motivating.

:cool: Great!! :thup: You're doing a very good job transitioning....and you've got an excellent attitude which always is helpful. :agree:

Good job on the loss!!

sundancerk Thu, Jul-12-07 14:58

Hurray! I'm so glad! Keep up the good work! :D

MammaD10 Fri, Jul-13-07 16:25

Question , can I have fat free sugar free ice cream if I stick to a real portion of 1/2 cup , or should I wait til I start phase 2. Just asking cuz I gave my husband some icecream. I have fudgecicles tho if you think I should wait.

Judynyc Fri, Jul-13-07 16:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaD10
Question , can I have fat free sugar free ice cream if I stick to a real portion of 1/2 cup , or should I wait til I start phase 2. Just asking cuz I gave my husband some icecream. I have fudgecicles tho if you think I should wait.

If it were me, I'd wait for phase II...you can have 2 fudgsicles a day. :idea:

Joy41 Fri, Jul-13-07 21:13

I've been on Atkins, and losing slowly. The things I miss are not bad things; white bread and potatoes don't tempt me, but skim milk, tabouli, berries and yogurt, an apple now and then would make me feel much more "normal." I'd be happy to trade some of the fat calories I've had on Atkins for them. So here I am. My book hasn't arrived, but I've gleaned enough from this forum (thanks to all of you) to get started. My only question now has to do with cheeses. Do I call them dairy? Do they count as part of the 2 cups/day?

Judynyc Fri, Jul-13-07 21:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy41
I've been on Atkins, and losing slowly. The things I miss are not bad things; white bread and potatoes don't tempt me, but skim milk, tabouli, berries and yogurt, an apple now and then would make me feel much more "normal." I'd be happy to trade some of the fat calories I've had on Atkins for them. So here I am. My book hasn't arrived, but I've gleaned enough from this forum (thanks to all of you) to get started. My only question now has to do with cheeses. Do I call them dairy? Do they count as part of the 2 cups/day?

Hi Joy...Welcome!! :wave:

Technically, cheese is considered an unlimited protein on SB and I happen to disagree with this....but just like atkins( 4 ozs a day), it does need to be kept to a minimum.

I allow myself 1-2 ozs a day and I do count it in with my dairy totals. At your current weight, cheese is calorie dense and it would be wise for you to keep it small also.

The Updated Food Lists thread has a lot of good info includng the Meal Plan Guides....have you seen them yet?

Good Luck! :cool:

alaka Sat, Jul-14-07 07:24

I went to a new internist who took my blood for testing to get thyroid med. She might have to increase my thyroid dose. My weight is starting to come off slowly. I am starting to exercise again. Last week I did the spinning class at the Y 3 times. Felt good. Looked at the recipes. I am going to try the ricotta cheese cake

Joy41 Sat, Jul-14-07 07:33

Thank you! I spent a long time last night browsing all the food lists and meal guidelines. There is a lot here, and I kept the printer busy. This is a goldmine of information and social support. I don't have a lot of weight to lose, but I want badly to integrate a healthy way of eating into my lifestyle so that there is never a sense of "going off the diet," just a slow transition into managing food for the rest of my life. I know I can never be unconscious about what I eat, but I hope to shuck the uncomfortable mind games about it, the magical thinking stuff, and guilt. I've been much larger than the 155 I was when I found this site. In fact, it was the umteenth time I'd approached a healthy weight and I began to panic at the thought of failing again to move from losing to maintaining. Atkins gave me a good start. I think SB will get me there!

Judynyc Sat, Jul-14-07 07:49

Good for you Alaka!! :thup:

Your very welcome Joy!! :)
If you ask me, this plan has taught me how to eat properly for the first time in my life. I am not struggling to maintain my loss. However, I eat the same way I ate in phase II with a few extra treats.

I think that its good to make up rules for ourselves with limits on different foods, ie: the 2oz. limit I give myself with cheese. I rarely eat flour, even whole grain flour. I do eat a Wasa crsipbread in rye daily but avoid wheat in general. I keep my nut allowance to 2 ozs a day.

My 2 favorites from my very bad eating days of the past are pasta and bagels....so in order for me to not feel deprived and that I'd never have them again, I allow myself to have them once a month...so far so good. :thup:

Designing a plan that we can live with is all about what phase II is to me....and I think should be what it is to all of us. In one way, my 18 months doing phase II was a very long time. It gave me a very long time to design a good plan for myself as I kept trying new foods to give myself a wide variety of foods to eat to avoid boredom.

I'm very strict on grains in general and rarely have a cereal at breakfast....but thats just me and some can, I can't.