Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Atkins Diet (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Atkins Induction Acceptable Food List (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=236482)

GlendaRC Sun, Aug-22-10 19:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGibson
Elize,

I agree...

I tend to be more of a government please get the hell out of our lives type of person, but when it comes to nutrition labeling I believe the laws should be stricter.

John

I'm not American, but I agree ... labelling laws should be exact - none of this "rounding down ... never rounding up!". Let's follow the UK pattern and count exactly per 100 grams!

GoJenGo Tue, Oct-19-10 23:46

Can anyone tell me if mascarpone cheese is allowed?

GoJenGo Thu, Oct-21-10 16:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizellen
Mayonnaise is allowed if all its ingredients are on the allowed list for induction (eggs, oil etc)
In my copy of DANDR it says There are 'no added sugar' mayonnaises around if you look really hard at labels, if you don't want to 'risk' the added sugar in other makes.

I just have to tell you, your stats are just astounding! Congrats to you on such an incredible journey.

Elizellen Fri, Oct-22-10 02:04

Thank you for the kind compliment, Jen!

Jorj Fri, Oct-22-10 15:58

Wonderful. I was also wondering if Mayo is ok or not. Though i have read Dr. Atkins book, when i went to shop's on each labels it said (no carb) but yes to sugar and i was so puzzled!

Brenda411 Mon, Oct-25-10 07:17

What about green beans/string beans, I can't find on any list. And I don't think they have any hidden sugars?

katoman Mon, Oct-25-10 08:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda411
What about green beans/string beans, I can't find on any list. And I don't think they have any hidden sugars?

That's because they are actually called SNAP BEANS....

Beans, snap, green variety

There's also yellow.

doreen T Mon, Oct-25-10 10:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda411

from the very first post here in this thread ..
Quote:
Other Vegetables
You can have one cup per day of these vegetables, in any combination if your salad portion does not exceed two cups. The following vegetables are slightly higher in carbohydrate content than the salad vegetables:

Artichoke, celery root, pumpkin, artichoke hearts, rhubarb, asparagus, chard, sauerkraut, bamboo shoots, bean sprouts, beet greens, broccoli, broccoli rabe, Brussels sprouts, cabbage (red, green, Savoy), cauliflower, chayote, collard greens, dandelion greens, eggplant, hearts of palm, kale, kohlrabi, leeks, okra, onion, scallions, snow peas, spaghetti squash, spinach, string or wax beans, summer squash, tomato, turnips, water chestnuts, zucchini

:read:

Doreen

bmorewless Mon, Nov-01-10 12:08

Lentils? Pumpkin seeds? Beans? Soy milk?

Hi, thanks for posting allowable foods for induction. I have been a stalled SBer for months so I'm starting the Atkins today. I was wondering if lentils are allowed in induction or even after? What about pumpkin seeds? I'm not a vegetarian but I would like more meat-less and budget friendly options, plus we have a lot of these on hand.
Thanks

krystalr Mon, Nov-01-10 12:19

Nuts and seeds fall into rung 4 of the second phase of Atkins called OWL. Lentils would fall into rung 6 with the legumes.

bmorewless Mon, Nov-01-10 12:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by krystalr
Nuts and seeds fall into rung 4 of the second phase of Atkins called OWL. Lentils would fall into rung 6 with the legumes.

Thanks for such a quick reply! I will put these on hold then. Awesome stats by the way! You are such an inspiration!

krystalr Mon, Nov-01-10 12:42

You can find more about the 2nd phase of Atkins in this thread - http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=409812 It really spells out what things fall where, and how to add them back in. :)

amanda <3 Sun, Nov-07-10 21:26

I Concur!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJenGo
I just have to tell you, your stats are just astounding! Congrats to you on such an incredible journey.

I have to agree. You really are an inspiration! How long did you stay on Induction for? Could you possibly give me a sample of your everyday diet and exercise? I have been struggling with my weight for quite some time now and I want to be able to stick with it this time. Thank you so much in advance for your help!

Newcomer1 Thu, Dec-09-10 05:58

I'm reallyyy really new to this. I'm wondering what vegeterian foods i can such as the beef style burgers, sausages, and chicken style pieces are any of them ok?? or the mince?? I am guessing that the southern fried burgers are out along with the veggie fingers all because of the breadcrumbs. :cry: if anyone has any ideas please reply thanks :)

Requin Fri, Dec-31-10 20:48

I'd suggest getting the New Atkins New You book, as it addresses how to do Atkins as a vegetarian. They don't really recommend vegetarians start in induction.

Most vegetarian 'meats' are processed soy, corn and or wheat- none of which are generally low carb. And arguably, Atkins is a whole foods approach to eating, and veggie meat substitutes don't really fit the definition of whole foods.