Active Low-Carber Forums

Active Low-Carber Forums (http://forum.lowcarber.org/index.php)
-   Kitchen Talk (http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Eating down the freezer (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=483357)

Gypsybyrd Sat, Jan-09-21 18:03

I added to my freezer today. Aldi’s was selling frozen duck breasts and I picked up a package. There are in a package. These are much easier for me to cook as a single person on the whole ducks that I have in my freezer. So these probably will not last very long.

Kristine Sun, Jan-10-21 03:40

I've seen those, GB, and I want to try them some time. The only time I've cooked duck, it was just okay. The meat was kind of dry (probably overcooked), but I had about a cup of duck fat for cooking, and that alone was worth it. :yum: If you want to buy a container of duck fat at my grocery store, it's about $5-6 for about the same amount off one bird.

I added a bit, too, but only after I used up a fair bit. I made a veggie stew for DH that he never ate, but now it's frozen and that'll be a quick meal for him.

Gypsybyrd Sun, Jan-10-21 07:51

I found the same thing when I cooked whole duck. I wasn’t impressed with it. But I enjoyed the duck fat that I was left with. I’ve enjoyed the frozen duck breasts more than cooking the entire duck.

Veggie stew, huh? Meal prep seems like a good reason to add to the freezer.

Kristine Sun, Feb-28-21 04:47

Woo-hoo, I finally emptied and defrosted the chest freezer! :dazzle:

I think I want to try to keep it empty/unplugged for a while, and keep using up what's in the fridge freezer.

Gypsybyrd Sun, Feb-28-21 05:58

Congrats Kristine! What a feeling!!!

WereBear Sun, Feb-28-21 06:17

I admire any accomplishments in our current heckscape :)

Ms Arielle Sun, Feb-28-21 19:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Woo-hoo, I finally emptied and defrosted the chest freezer! :dazzle:

I think I want to try to keep it empty/unplugged for a while, and keep using up what's in the fridge freezer.

Hurray !!!!!!!! Well done.

My freezers are full to the point that a cooler is kept on ice in the shade of the house. Lol Need son to make a batch of jerky , yum.

Gypsybyrd Fri, Jul-16-21 12:54

I ate down a Boston Butt Roast and a box of Trader Joe's Shrimp Burgers. :)

Verbena Fri, Jul-16-21 14:18

I have been taking advantage of the hot weather, and defrosting and organizing the freezers in the garage. I’m finding things that I had forgotten were there, and a few things that have been there too long LOL. I also found numerous containers of chicken broth: part of a jar that wasn’t finished, or the occasional jar that didn’t seal during the canning process. I pulled all of them from their various corners & combined them, and now have 7 pints of newly canned broth, and quite a bit of “new” space in the freezer.
The other day I made a Mexican flavored soup/stew with frozen chicken thighs and some frozen tomatoes.

Ms Arielle Fri, Jul-16-21 20:37

I defrosted two 3 1/2 # pkg ground beef to make two pans of meatloaf. Sliced them up, two slices per pkg, then back into freezer!! :D

Verbena Fri, Jul-16-21 21:20

Made a Thai inspired soup for dinner: chicken & TJ’s seafood mix from the freezer, chicken broth canned earlier today, coconut milk & shiitake mushrooms from the pantry, veg from the freezer (beans & spinach), various herbs & condiments from the spice shelf, a bit of lemon grass from the garden, garlic, onion, ginger . Was quite nice, & enough for lunch tomorrow.

Kristine Sat, Jul-17-21 03:50

I meant to re-activate this thread, too. :o I plugged the chest freezer back in about a month ago when a bunch of DH's crapola was on sale by the case. I've also backslid into the habit of buying more than we'll eat, though. The upstairs freezer is packed again.

I HAVE gotten better at telling myself while shopping, "don't buy that until what we have is gone!" There are certain staples I won't let us run out of, and/or store well (eg pickles), but my instinct is to grab it while it's on sale, then figure out what to do with it when I get home. Bad habit.

Arielle - I love frozen ground meats for that reason. Almost anything you can make from it will freeze well. :thup:

Kristine Fri, Jan-07-22 21:12

Um, I may have made some poor decisions in the last month or so.

I need to get on eating down the freezer again.

Tonight: basa with broccoli/cauliflower, both out of the freezer.

I'm going to nag hubby to have his pot pies soon, too.

Kristine Sun, Jan-23-22 04:40

We're in the middle of a cold snap, so I've been able to use up some freezer food.
- Half of DH's buns are gone. I got a giant bag for $0.50, though if I could have seen how big the bag was, I wouldn't have bought them! It was via a discount app. (FlashFood)
- I used up an ancient package of salmon patties yesterday. They were freezer-burnt, but I rescued them.
- 2 packages of ground beef used up, though we eat a fair amount of it, so I don't worry about having extra.
- Used up a pkg of ground chicken. I just made patties, and they were pretty tasty.

Next on the to-do list is beef broth from the beef shanks I bought 1/2 price a week or two ago. Any beef is $$$ these days, so I grabbed it while I had the chance.