PDA

View Full Version : Soy Confusion?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Sarlye
Tue, Jun-26-01, 00:10
Can someone please clarify what the difference is between soy protein isolate, Soy Protein Powder and Soy Flour?

Are they interchangeable?

I bought some Soy flour from Capers and wanted to make Wa'il's Low Carb Totilla but I am not sure if I have got the right one.

Also, what do I do with Whey Protein Powder? Is it a supplement I should take? All the packages I saw are huge and I didn't want to buy something that big for a cooking recipe.

Thanks for your help! :D

tamarian
Tue, Jun-26-01, 11:39
Originally posted by Sarlye
Can someone please clarify what the difference is between soy protein isolate, Soy Protein Powder and Soy Flour?

Are they interchangeable?

I bought some Soy flour from Capers and wanted to make Wa'il's Low Carb Totilla but I am not sure if I have got the right one.

Also, what do I do with Whey Protein Powder? Is it a supplement I should take? All the packages I saw are huge and I didn't want to buy something that big for a cooking recipe.

Thanks for your help! :D

Hi Sarly, no they're not interchangable, as they behave quite differently in baking. :( The soy flour is just soy beans toasted and ground, I think. The soy protein powder and isolate are extracted protien from the soy beans and have lower carb content.

The good new though, is that Capers acyually have them all, and the soy powder they have in the bulk section is the one I used in my tortilla/wrap recipe.

Wa'il

otenn
Thu, Jul-12-01, 23:01
I haven't seen this recipie before, just noticed it for the first time and it looks good and easy. A tortilla wrap is just the kind of thing I would love to have too! I've never been a big bread fan, but a simple something to wrap up some protein with would be perfect. Tomorrow I'm baking!

DonnaVT
Thu, Jul-19-01, 23:54
for wa'il's tortilla shells. I was just going to post and ask if anyone had a substitute for tortilla shells. Mexican food is big here in the South and I could really use that recipe.
Thanks for any help.

tamarian
Thu, Jul-19-01, 23:59
Here you go:

http://www.lowcarb.ca/recipes/rrecipe005.html

Wa'il

DonnaVT
Fri, Jul-20-01, 00:07
Looking forward to making them!!! I love to make Quesadillas, burritos, and sandwich wraps with them. This recipe will be put to good use here!!!