PDA

View Full Version : Jerky help

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

tina3869
Sun, Jun-24-01, 18:11
I got 2 pound of roast beef at the deli and it is about to got bad. I want to make beef jerky out of it but it is 'deli sliced' (thin sliced) can I still make Jerky out of it?

I also bought one of those 'microwave dehydrators' but I lost the instructions so if any one knows how to use it I would appreciate help with that too

Thanks!

doreen T
Sun, Jun-24-01, 18:35
hi Tina,

Others may have more "expert" opinion than me, but my thought is that if the meat is "about to go bad" then it is NOT suitable for making jerky. Jerky is dried, not cooked .... the temperature is much lower than is required for killing some bacteria ... I have a dehydrator, and make jerky (a batch is on the way this week ... Nofrills has Eye-of-Round Roast for $1.99/lb(Cdn) .. in a 4 to 5 lb vac-pack) ... but the directions are very specific that the meat MUST be absolutely fresh, fresh, fresh.

Suggestion - chop or shred the meat you have, and cook it .... sauté or broil ... then package up to freeze and use in salads, or mix with mayo, then use lettuce leaves as a wrap ... Or use as filling for a folded omelet .... Waste Not, Want Not .. :rolleyes:

Microwave dehydrator?? Interesting ....

Doreen

Karen
Sun, Jun-24-01, 18:47
Hmmm.

If you want to make something that is jerky-like, lay it out on a pan in a single layer, brush liberally with oil, season with salt and broil it, far away from the source of heat until it's brown and crispy. Or, deep fry it. I don't give any guarantees about what the result will be however!

I would still heed Doreen's warning. If it is about to go bad, I would feed it to my dogs, but maybe you don't have any dogs.;)

Karen

tina3869
Sun, Jun-24-01, 18:48
Doreen and Karen thank you once again :)

Actualy I only bought it last week, but for me "if it's a week old, it's too old". I am terrified of food poisoning.

I will do something else with that beef, your suggestions sounded great. Besides, it was already cooked...it was sandwich beef....so I don't think I could have used it for jerky anyway because that is supposed to be raw meat, isn't?

I just realy didn't want to have to cut up the meat into such thin slices (with my arthritis) and I thought "hey I already have sliced beef, I wonder if I can use it?"

I'll go back and read the jerky recipes and start again.

The microwave dehydrator was on clearence at Wal-Mart (do they have those in Canada?) it just said "as seen on TV" I've never even used it, I only bought it because it was on clearence for 5.00 and now I have lost the instructions! Oh well maybe I packed them...like everything else I have been looking for :mad:

Thanks again!

AfroBob
Fri, Jun-29-01, 15:39
Doreen,

I was thinking of geting a dehydrator and making some jerky myself but im not sure if it tastes any good. I want to try some. Maybe you can sell me a few strips? Im in the US so shipping will be a bit more..

doreen T
Mon, Jul-02-01, 03:37
I didn't see your post sooner, sorry about that.

Justrecipes.com has a whole section of just jerky recipes, dozens and dozens. Most are for using a commercial dehydrator, but you can use a regular oven too. Here are two recipes specifically for using the oven Modern Jerky (http://www.melborponsti.com/jerky/jerky011.htm)

Oven Jerky (http://www.melborponsti.com/jerky/jerky081.htm) ... note * this recipe calls for 1/2 cup honey for the marinade, which you can substitute a lowcarb sweetener for itYou could follow the directions for oven temperature and timing, but use other marinades for the meat.

Rachel posted some jerky recipes ... for a dehydrator, but you could just dry it in the oven instead. Note that the recipes from Justrecipes.com don't mention very much about patting the meat with paper towelling during the drying process, but this is very important, because if grease is left on the meat, it can cause spoilage. Rachel's recipe includes detailed directions how to do this ... check it out here (http://www.lowcarb.ca/recipes/snack117.html).

Let us know how it turns out .. :) .. I think homemade jerky is delicious, so much better than the storebought stuff, no chemical preservatives .. and no SUGAR.

Doreen