PDA

View Full Version : Flaxmeal for breakfast

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

chewy
Sun, Jun-17-01, 19:08
I want to start having the hot flaxmeal for breakfast-do I just add boiling water,add cinnamon and stir?What is a typical portion ?

JeanetteJ
Sun, Jun-17-01, 19:44
I don't have the answer to you question, but I would like to try flax meal for breakfast too. My question is, is flaxmeal the same thing as flaxseed?? And where do you find this at the grocery store???
Jeanette

doreen T
Sun, Jun-17-01, 19:46
3 slightly heaped Tbsp freshly ground flax seeds, use very hot, not boiling water (over 180ºF/82ºC will destroy the omega-3 EFA's ---- don't microwave either for the same reason), I'm sorry I don't measure the amount of water, probably about double the amount of flax, or 6 Tbsp (3/8 cup). It gets thick very quickly. You may wish to add a dot of butter, and some stevia, a little cinnamon is nice, or a bit of cream. It's a bit gummy textured, not like oatmeal porridge, but I love it.. :)

Here is the carb count, from the Canadian Flax Council website (http://flaxcouncil.ca/) -

Nutrient breakdown ... (by weight)

Protein - 21% X 30 gm = 6.3 gm
Fat - 42% X 30 = 12.6 gm
Fibre - 28% X 30 = 8.4 gm
Carb - 6% X 30 = 1.8gm
Other (moisture, ash) - 3% X 30 = 0.9 gm

So there ya have it. Total carbs would be 10.2, of which 8.4 is fiber, leaving 1.8 gm digestible carbs

(Corrine Netzer's book lists as 11.0 total carbs and 6.0 gm fiber for 3 Tbsp, so 5 gm digestible carbs, but the Flax Council gives actual percentage breakdown, which I trust as accurate)

Doreen

doreen T
Sun, Jun-17-01, 19:49
Yes, you can buy fresh whole flax seeds, then grind them yourself at home in a coffee/spice mill (they're too small and hard to grind properly in a blender or food processor) ... You can buy flaxmeal already ground, but it's expensive. Make sure if you do buy pre-ground that it's in vacuum-sealed, refrigerated package. Air, light and heat will make it go rancid quickly. If you grind at home, only grind up a few days' to a week's worth at a time, and keep in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer.

Hope this helps .. :)

Doreen

JeanetteJ
Sun, Jun-17-01, 20:15
Sounds yummy!!!
(Oh, I'd better go to bed, so I don't go to the kitchen!)

Doreen,
I am at square one here with the flaxseed, never heard of it before this website, but your recipe sounds delicious! Can I beg for more info...? Where would I locate this product? At a healthfood store? In a regular supermarket? Would the whole seed be located with the seeds and nuts? Can I use the store's coffee grinder to grind it? What about the already ground seed- is it with the flour? Thanks for your help, I'm going to find these, whatever it takes.
Jeanette

doreen T
Sun, Jun-17-01, 20:33
Your best bet for fresh whole flax seeds is a health food store. You can buy pre-ground flax meal in some places; ask the store clerk if they carry it. Make sure it's in an airtight, lightproof package (such as foil). Once you open the package, it must be kept airtight, in the fridge or freezer.

The whole seed is quite inexpensive, and can be stored at room temperature for a few months. To grind, I use one of those little coffee bean grinders at home, they're also quite inexpensive, and handy to have not just for coffee .. I grind my own spices too. Don't use the big coffee grinder at the store .. first, you'll end up with coffee grounds in your flaxmeal; second, the seeds will gum up the big grinder, and the store management will not be very happy about that! .. :D

I highly recommend the Flax Council website, I gave the link in my post above. For some general ideas on using and storing flax, click here (http://flaxcouncil.ca/flaxpd5.htm) for their "Flax Seed in Home Cooking" page.

Good luck; keep us posted .:)

Doreen

JeanetteJ
Mon, Jun-18-01, 11:19
Thanks! I'm off to the store,
jeanette

JeanetteJ
Sat, Jul-28-01, 17:38
Drreen,

I just re-read what you wrote about flaxmeal going rancid quickly and keeping it in the freezer. i was finally able to find a store that sold this, and I bought a bag of flax meal. It didn't cost much. But anyway, that was probably about 3 or 4 weeks ago, and it's in a foil bag, but I've kept it on the shelf this whole time. Is it still edible????

Jeanette

doreen T
Sat, Jul-28-01, 18:45
If you haven't opened it, and it's still all sealed up, it should be fine. If you have opened it, then take a whiff ... If it smells nice and mild, nutty, almost buttery ...... then it's still fresh. get in the fridge/freezer ASAP.

If it smells like boiled linseed oil, you know, what painters use ... then it is past it's prime. Toss it .. :(

Your best bet, IMHO is to stock up with the whole seeds, and grind them yourself. You can buy a little coffee/spice grinder at K-mart for a cheap price, and you can use it for spices and other nuts and seeds too.

Doreen

JeanetteJ
Sat, Jul-28-01, 20:26
thanks!! I haven't opened it yet. (:eek: I have been off track for too long). But shall plan to do so this week!:)

rhonda141
Fri, Jan-04-02, 19:04
Does anyone know if Flax O Meal cereal is available in Vancouver, B.C.? Makes no sense to buy it on the web at US prices plus shipping, but I'd like to try it. :q:

A thin me!
Fri, Jan-04-02, 20:09
Doreen:

Is the count of 1.8 the same for the chocolate variety as well?

Thanks,

A THin Me

doreen T
Fri, Jan-04-02, 20:32
Originally posted by A thin me!
Doreen:

Is the count of 1.8 the same for the chocolate variety as well?

Thanks,

A THin Me Um ... I don't think so. What I was discussing in this thread is plain, ordinary flax seeds that you buy from a bulk foods place or health food store. The Flax-o-Meal cereal that comes in flavours like chocolate, or butternut or something like that... is a blend of flax meal, wheat bran and other things, plus the flavours. You can read more members' comments about Flax-o-meal in our Low Carb Products forum ... click here (http://forum.lowcarber.org/t28896.html) :)

Doreen

Bloom
Thu, Mar-28-02, 22:12
I have brought some linseed/flaxseed and am really wanting to try it mixed with a little raw wheat bran.
I am afraid to trust that you can saftly subtract the fibre from the carbs :confused:
Are you positive they are not listed seperatly?
The fibre is not listed under the carbs but on its own like the fat and the protein. on one of the brans I looked at buying the fibre count was 34grams but the carbs only said 27grams :confused: This doesnt make any sense and I am now so wary and confused but I dont want to miss out either :rolleyes: and I would like something to help with elimation :o
The bran i have says 37.4 g total carb with 17.8 coming from sugar :eek: :confused: . The fibre says 33.6 so how does that fit in with all the 'sugar'. The fat is 5.4 and the protein 11.7. Calories 246. All amounts are for 100g.
I really dont get it and am hoping you can help put me out of my misery.
Both products are from the "Heatheries' brand available in New Zealand.

DebPenny
Sun, Mar-31-02, 00:34
It took some searching in my area. Our local Co-op didn't have flaxseeds. And the health food store was out. But I found them at another local whole foods grocery store. They had two varieties: brown flaxseed was $.89 per pound and golden flaxseed was $.99 per pound. I got some of both to try them out.

;-Deb

:daizy:

L Fesler
Sun, Mar-31-02, 20:13
Hey Island Girl, Thanks for your quick reply regarding flax seed/ground etc. I did not even look at the date at the bottom of each message. No wonder you had a hard time remembering what I was asking about. I have gummed up my coffee grinder and can't seem to get it to work...will try another brand.....Need to use up these seeds. I look forward to having cerial soon.
Thanks again,
Linda

L Fesler
Sun, Mar-31-02, 20:15
Doreen T,
How do you keep your coffee grinder from getting gummed up?
Linda Fesler

L Fesler
Sun, Mar-31-02, 20:23
Island Girl,
I was going to ask Doreen T the question about gumming up the coffee grinder and got mixed up, that is why her name was at the top of my message to you.....Do you think perhaps I need some carbs to help me think streight? ha
Bad news today....I was at a friend's house and she had a very state of the art scales. I got on and if they are right, I am 4 lbs heavier than I thought EEEEEK! I believe they are right because I have been fooling myself about how certain pants are fitting....too tight. I have a tough month ahead with company through out and pluss next Sunday I pick up my sister in Little Rock and we drive on to Hot Springs to spend some time with our four cousins we grew up with but have not seen in years. I have got to watch the wine and sweets big time.
Hope you had a wonderful day today.
L Fesler

IslandGirl
Sun, Mar-31-02, 21:14
I sure don't know about the coffee grinder being gummed up, do you clean it between grinds? I read somewhere about a slice of bread being used to clean these babies (a good use for a slice of bread). Try that, then maybe try an old toothbrush and some alcohol (the kind from the bathroom cabinet). Oils and resins usually dissolve with that and it probably won't hurt the motor like water would. I guess.

Meanwhile, do you have a food processor? That's what I would use in a pinch for grinding.

Good luck with your visitors!

L Fesler
Sun, Apr-07-02, 08:21
Hey Island Girl, thanks for the reply. I am just beginning this venture with you guys and am reading all the old posts I can find. Most of the time my questions are answered and I don't have to ask. The flax seed has been part of my 'diet' for a few years now. I am experimenting with new ways to use it and loving it.
I will catch up with you later as I am going on vacation with my sister and four cousins (sisters) that we grew up with and have not all been together for 30 years or so. I will have to work very hard to stay on my woe because none of them are 'with me'.....
Hope to get to know you better. I really like reading your posts. My husband wonders why I laugh out loud sometimes while on this site. Thank God for a sense of humor!
Linda

RoseWaddle
Wed, Apr-10-02, 23:33
Here is a WONDERFUL hot cereal recipe. The Textured Vegetable Protein gives it the texture of oatmeal, I think you'll love it. :thup:

DianeM's Fauxtmeal

2-3 T ground flax seed
2 T TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein)
1/2 cup water
2-3 T French Vanilla Davinci Syrup
1 T butter
1 T cream
Few shakes of cinnamon

Heat water and Davinci syrup in micro for about one minute. Mix all other ingredients in bowl. Pour hot water over cereal and let it sit for a minute or two, stir and enjoy!

I don't use Davinci syrups, so I used a bit of vanilla extract and splenda instead and it was GREAT!

doreen T
Thu, Apr-11-02, 02:11
Originally posted by L Fesler
Doreen T,
How do you keep your coffee grinder from getting gummed up?
Linda Fesler Judi [Island Girl] had some good ideas for rescuing your coffee/spice grinder. To prevent it from happening again, make sure you keep the whole seeds in the fridge or freezer. When they're cold, the oils won't be so gummy. That grinder gets mighty HOT from the friction .. if your seeds are at room temp, the oils will separate faster. This is true for nuts as well, if you're just trying to grind them into meal, and they get warmed and over ground, they'll turn to nut BUTTER in a hurry :eek:

Also, avoid overfilling the grinder. And try grinding in bursts, giving a shake after each.

I never had much luck grinding flax seeds in my food processor .. they're so small and hard, they just dance and skip around. :daze:

Doreen

Quinadal
Fri, Nov-08-02, 21:36
I bought a bag of Bob's red mill flaxseed meal but it says that 2 TBS has 4g carb ALL of which are fiber :eek: ! What's the deal?

pegva
Tue, Feb-04-03, 19:18
Thanks so much, Doreen!

I tried the Flax Porridge tonight... and all I can say is YUM!
I'm so happy to have a hot cereal. I guess some people might be turned off by how gelatinous it gets... but I just loved it.
I put butter, cinnamon and brown sugartwin in it.

MoonShadow
Fri, May-16-03, 01:49
First of all, thank you SO much Doreen T for your flax-porrige recipe! For some reason, I've always been fond of flax-seeds and reading your recipe yesterday I just had to try it! I did however modify it a bit - one more Tbs of crushed flax-seeds and two Tbs sunflower seeds, as I'm usually ravenous in the morning and need something to sustain me until it's time for lunch :daze:

So, I figure with the extra's the total was about 4.5 g Carbs, and then I just stirred the whole thing up with about 1/2 Tbs of AS and poured one Tbs of heavy cream on top..

Boy, was that yummy! Me, I'm starting to get sick and tired of eggs too, and until now have been eating lo-carb crisp bread for breakfast for several days. My breakfast is usually a hurried thing, so I love the chance of variety this porrige/hot-cereal thingie offers me!
And I'll save the fried eggs n'bacon and omelettes for the lazy weekend mornings... *lol*

MoonShadow :D

cav2
Mon, Jun-02-03, 20:33
This is my favorite breaky cereal- tastes more like oatmeal than just flaxmeal.

1/4 c ground flaxseed (ground mine in the blender)
1/4 c raw wheat bran
1 scoop vanilla protein powder (no carb)
Splenda to taste (usually 2-3 tbsp)
Spices - cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, etc... to taste

Sometimes with cream, sometimes with butter, often without anything more at all.

Add water to make soupy (not goupy). Microwave 1 min - stir - microwave 1 min.

Texture is not gummy like flaxomeal and is creamy because of the protein powder. Carb count is ~10g (including 2 tbsp splenda) with 13 g fiber. Much better than metamucil to keep you regular. A regular of mine up there with egg omlette and mock danish.

Bon appetite!! :D

Coral Craz
Mon, Jun-02-03, 22:00
Originally posted by rhonda141
Does anyone know if Flax O Meal cereal is available in Vancouver, B.C.? Makes no sense to buy it on the web at US prices plus shipping, but I'd like to try it. :q:

Try this new lowcarb site www.lowcarbcentre.com (under Shopping) They are located in Vancouver, BC. They are also scheduled to open a retail store in North Vancouver early this June. I can't wait!!

Jackie

FionaMcB
Mon, Jun-02-03, 22:07
Island Girl, we've found the best thing to use to clean the coffee grinder is white rice. It works really well, and makes good use of what we have left in the cupboard now.

Deb

FionaMcB
Wed, Jun-04-03, 20:37
I had my first bowl of flax cereal the way cav2 makes it this morning, and it was great. So filling! Almost made it until 2pm without any desire to eat.

Ground a whole pound of flax seed in my coffee mill, then mixed the cereal, making 10 portions. I added a small amount of ground nuts to give it a better texture, and some cinnamon for flavor. Also, used a vanilla whey, really good.

BTW, just using 1/4 cup of the mix was more than enough for me, and I usually like a BIG bowl of oatmeal. This will be a regular thing for me. Of all the recipes for the different meals, breakfast is fast becoming my favorite.

Rob
Sun, Jun-08-03, 14:58
try this very easy hot porridge :

3 tbl no flavour soy protein isolate powder ( zero carb)
3 tbl ground flax seeds
2 tbl splenda /AS
pinch salt
1 tbl butter
3/4 cup just boiled water

mix rapidly to smooth out the lumps

sprinkle with cinnamon and AS

splash with cream for extra indulgence

:thup: :thup: :thup:

rhonda141
Mon, Jun-30-03, 18:14
My personal opinion is that ground flaxseeds made into porridge is gross!! It has the consistency of paste and tastes like wood. I'd give it a pass. I can't understand why so many of you lo-carbers seems to love it.

You can get better results with flavoured instant oatmeal, just seive out the sugar. You get a few carbs so it's okay for OWL or maintenance and the taste is way better. Or, buy unflavoured oatmeal, sweeten with Splenda, add vanilla, cinnamon/nutmeg. It tastes good.

Rob
Tue, Jul-01-03, 06:34
Your opinion is just that , "your opinion"

I eat ground flax for reasons that are too many to list here but mainly because it is good sensible food .

pegva
Tue, Jul-01-03, 11:40
:rolleyes: WE LIKE FLAX AND YOU DON'T...
WHAT'S YOUR POINT?????????????????????????????????????

Rob
Tue, Jul-01-03, 12:24
YEAH !! :bash:

Albuburbia
Thu, Jul-10-03, 14:59
I love this stuff! This was the first food item I've eaten in ages that was like a grain!

I use about 1/4 cup of flax meal, mix in a scoop of the designer whey protein (I use the vanilla flavor), a sploof of cinnamon,and I cook it in a small saucepan with water and a glug of Da Vinci (either butter rum or English toffee usually) Then I throw in a handful of pine nuts. The pine nuts have more flavor if you toast them in a dry pan first. Gotta watch it, though - they go from lovely brown to charred in a heartbeat. I put the glop in a bowl, add some butter and cream. I do this every morning and it gets me up and going!! I usually toss in a handful of wheat bran, too, just to have a couple of morning carbs to go with the protein from the whey stuff.

Joe Joe
Thu, Jul-10-03, 21:20
I had it tonight for dinner! It was actually really tasty!!

I don't like to measure, but in mine I had:

Milled Flaxseed
White Bran (only a little bit, I'm still not sure what this is)
Pecan Pieces
Soy Protein
Cinnamon and Splenda

It was really tasty!! I was surprised at the texture... I thought it would be gross... it was great!! :D

janegrace
Fri, Jul-18-03, 11:00
Doreen, I learned more and found more wonderful recipes from this thread! Thank you for your expertise, your knowledge, your hard work to research thing, and your great attitude! You are one of a kind! janegrace

Avlev
Tue, Aug-12-03, 14:05
Hi all. I was just wondering how the carb counts of the home-made version of flax-o-meal seem to be so high. The ingredients list flaxseed, wheat bran, soy protein isolate and spices, just like the DIY version, but the carb count is only 2g ECC per half cup. In this thread, everyone's talking about carb counts of about 5g for less than half that amount (3tbsp isn't very much...) Just hoping for a little clarification!

hysteria
Thu, Aug-14-03, 18:53
Thank God for flax seed - I finally found a cereal, almost like cream of wheat - that is pretty darn good!

One question...is it always a 'gluey' consistency? I milled some golden flax seed and added 1 tbsp of wheat germ, 2 tsps almond butter (OMG!!! YUM!!!!), 1 tbsp splenda, a dash of cream, hot water.
Anyway - tasted great but was very thick and pastey. Any ideas/hints on cooking flax meal?