PDA

View Full Version : CHINESE FOOD

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

mslady22
Thu, May-10-01, 07:14
HI GUYS. I WAS WONDERING IF I COULD EAT AT CHINESE RESTURANTS AND IF I COULD EAT SHRIMP AND BROCCOLI MINUS THE RICE.

agonycat
Thu, May-10-01, 07:24
Remember that in Chinese food that they thicken their sauces with corn starch or something else.

Beware of those hidden carbs.

numberonewendy
Thu, May-10-01, 07:25
Hi,

Well I tend to stay away from chinese food, I hear it can be very high on carbs, but, the shrimp and brocolli minus rice is just fine:)

Wendy

r.mines
Thu, May-10-01, 11:07
I've eaten Chinese on occasion, but I wouldn't make a habit of it. As agonycat points out, sauces are usually thickened with cornstarch, and besides, they seem to put sugar in EVERYTHING. Once in a while, sticking to meat and veggies, is probably OK. If it's a fairly good restaurant (as opposed to Chinese 'fast food'), maybe you could ask the chef to make you a special stirfry without cornstarch.

Rachel

Karen
Thu, May-10-01, 12:04
The last time I ate Chinese restaurant food, I felt so incredibly gakky afterwards that I put it in the "not for LC consumption category".

Vietnamese food is a bit lighter and fresher. There are different meat preparations that can be wrapped in lettuce leaves and herbs that are quite good. But, just like most Southeast Asian restaurant food, there is usually sugar and starch in everything.

Karen

Aussie Jo
Sat, May-12-01, 23:17
I have had Chinese a few times on the LC diet- it is my favourite type of food. I just stick clear of the rice and noodles and anything which is obviously sweet (like sweet and sour). I have a great Chinese cookbook and I have found that although they thicken with cornflour in most cases they use such as small amount ( about a teaspoon) that it is probably negligable. Eveytime I have had it I have done a urine test for Ketone loss, and haven't had a problem as my sticks have still turned.

Joanne

AfroBob
Wed, May-30-01, 02:48
hah...its funny because I eat A LOT of Panda Express. Usually double Orange Chicken. I still seem to be losing weight. I dont think it has too many carbs..

tamarian
Wed, May-30-01, 22:37
Hi Bob, welcome aboard!

I think us men have a different metabolism than ladies, and they hate us for it! :) I can usually go up to 70g carbs and stay in ketosis, while some low-carberss (mostly women) can't go above 30g without stalling. It's the best example of YMMV, your milage may vary.

The best thing is, for those who adapt this as a way of life, they have enough time to discove what works for them, as each of us are different and our bodies/bio-chemistry are different.

Wa'il