PDA

View Full Version : suggestions anyone?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

agonycat
Thu, May-03-01, 14:54
Okay here is the problem.

I don't eat breakfast. Never have even as a kid.

I am out of the house by 6:30am heading for the office. Anyone have any suggestions on what to grab for breakfast that is fast and doesn't have to be cooked? I tried last week to eat like boiled eggs, hunks of cheese etc, but ick on the boiled egg thang. After the first couple of days I never want to see another boiled egg! :) And I have shake mix only I forget I have it that early in the morning and leave home without it.

I know it's bad to skip breakfast, but my parents never ate breakfast either and well it's a habit now.

Since induction 10 days ago I have dropped 13 pounds and it is starting to worry me a bit on if this is waaaaaaaaaaaaay to fast on dropping the pounds or if it's normal.

Should I stick with the 20 carbs a day or add some to slow this puppy down? Or just go with the flo until I either hit a stall or reach my goal weight?

Stina
Thu, May-03-01, 15:29
I'm no expert but I can relate on the breakfast issue. Yuck. Still hate the thought of getting up and eating (yuck)....Anyhow, I eat at odd times of the day. Breakfast is around 10:30, lunch around 3 and dinner around 7-7:30. (Those times are approximate).

Anyhow, I make up a few packages of bacon twice a week. I then divide it into nice little ziplocs full and freeze it. The night before I thaw whatever I will be eating for breakfast (always bacon and some sort of egg). For you, why not make a little dish of egg salad up and put it in a container that you can just grab on your way to work. Throw a few slices of bacon on top and heat in a microwave. Or why not take a few slices of turkey/roast beef/chicken, add an ounce of cheese, some mayo and a few leaves of lettuce, and roll it all up, ziploc it and take it with you. then mid morning or whenever, you can eat. Lots of options out there. A couple hamburger patties is quick and convienient too.

I am to the point now that I do need to eat in the mornings. I used to go until mid-afternoon before I would eat. First time round on this WOL taught me how well that worked:-)

Anyhow, try and make yourself eat something small each morning. Gradually on this woe you will start to need breakfast. I am on day 6 now and by 10am I am startng to need energy (food).

Good luck:-)

Stina:)

Quela
Thu, May-03-01, 15:31
What are you eating? I am so interested, I mean besides the boiled eggs and chunks of cheese? I have been doing low carbs for about 4 days now and working, a little lighter than usual, but I was just dying to weigh myself because I felt that I was dropping weight. However, when I stepped on the scale, I had gained nearly a pound, I was shocked. I think it may be because I am close to my period, I hope. Anyway, please tell me about the variety of things you eat and how much you weighed and weigh now. Some suggestions for a quick breakfast are the Atkins bars. There are pretty tasty and obviously quick. I have even cut out my morning coffee and I have one of those bars each morning. I don't mind making omelets in the morning, but I know that doesn't really help you. . . Fill me in on your diet, please.

agonycat
Thu, May-03-01, 16:07
This is what I have had in the past 10 days....not all at once of course.

Lunch:
Salad with cheese, eggs and some ham or chicken slices and ranch dressing. 4 olives
or
Tuna fish salad (tuna, eggs, celery, pickles, mayo, pepper) with salad greens.
or
Venison salami, cheese

Snacks:
Cheese
Vienna sausage
Celery sticks with pimiento cheese

Dinner ranges from:
Shrimp scampii
Steak
Chicken or pork wrapped in bacon with some jalepeno
Pork loin with mushrooms, garlic, monterey jack cheese and basil
Grilled pork ribs (Stubb's BBQ rub=0 carbs)
Baked fish

with more salad or spinach or wax beans (veggie depends on how many carbs I took in during the first part of the day)

Dessert or treat:
Sugar free Jell-O
Atkins Chocolate Almond bar (cut into pieces)

Drinks: Diet Cokes (have now switched to Diet RC's), Tea, water, Crystal Light. Depends on what type of mood I am in for the day. Sometimes I feel like I want more of a fruity beverage so I go with the Crystal Light.

I am not hungry at all during the day so I am assuming I am eating enough stuff to keep it down. On the Ketostix I avg Large or at 80mg/dl of ketones so that isn't maxed out at 160. I am taking a multivitamin. First couple of days I was tired and had a bit of a headache. Now I feel pretty good.

When I started Monday of last week I was at 190. Currently I am down to 178. (actually stepped into a pair of jeans this morning I couldn't get buttoned 2 weeks ago)

I wish I had time to make breakfast.....but I am one of those people that hate to leave dirty dishes in the sink when I leave the house.

I have been leaning more towards the meat/cheese/eggs side of the house for my calories than towards the veggie end. (i have been just adding enough of the veggie materials in to meet the carb count)

That is about it in a nutshell. I'm not starving myself or at least I don't feel like I am. Just feel guilty for not eating breakfast.

Hope that helped Quela.

agonycat
Thu, May-03-01, 16:11
Oh btw Stina, thanks for the idea on cooking bacon ahead of time. Never thought of that and it would be a quick "to-go" thing.

Thanks for the idea!

r.mines
Thu, May-03-01, 16:48
:eek:

Nix the Atkins bars! These have loads of 'hidden' carbohydrates! Do a search and read some of the discussions on this forum. The so-called low carb bars are notorious stallers! If you're not losing, this may be part of the reason.

I'm not much help with breakfasts....I can't eat until I've been up for a couple of hours either. If I'm at work or somewhere I can't cook, I prepare some snacky things in advance: leftover meats, cubes of cheese, a few nuts (watch the carbs - they add up fast!), some olives. I've also just posted a beef jerky recipe for a portable, ultra-low carb snack; it's in the 'recipe' section, under 'snacks.'

Rachel

Originally posted by Quela
Some suggestions for a quick breakfast are the Atkins bars. There are pretty tasty and obviously quick. I have even cut out my morning coffee and I have one of those bars each morning.

agonycat
Thu, May-03-01, 17:04
I just use the atkins bar as a treat. I cut it up in about 6 or 7 pieces and put it in a ziploc.

I ate a whole one last week and felt bloated....so no more of that nonesense ;).

debbiedobson
Thu, May-03-01, 17:52
check out the egg mock muffin recipe in the recipe section. i've come across several versions of it on the internet. you could tweak it any way you want. talk about convenience! see if this link works: http://www.lowcarb.ca/recipes/breakfast102.html

YAY!! i did it!!:D
after you check out the muffins, check out the rest of the breakfast recipes.

Tinakaye
Thu, May-03-01, 19:36
As well since you already have the shake mix, measure it out into plastic ziplock baggies and toss them in your purse :) Then they will always be handy for you to just add water to and drink up :)

Im not a breakfast eater, but do eat the typical "breakfast" foods for dinner. But remember that you can eat any allowed food at anytime, so eat a porkchop or steak for breakfast if you like :)

Congrats on your weight loss and your great metabolism!

And Quela, those "low carb bars" typcally have over 15 carbs a piece in them! Some people can eat them and lose weight.... but not many im afraid. You might want to cut those out for a couple of weeks and see how you do without them.

Quela
Thu, May-03-01, 19:48
I had no idea about the Atkins bars. Thank you for the advice. No more Atkins bars. Does anyone know if this means more than one gram of carbs of less? If it says this on a food label, Carbohydrates<1. more than one or less than one?

tamarian
Thu, May-03-01, 19:49
Originally posted by Tinakaye
As well since you already have the shake mix, measure it out into plastic ziplock baggies and toss them in your purse :) Then they will always be handy for you to just add water to and drink up :)

Hay Tina, this is a great idea and quite simple. This is what I need at work when I don't get time to go out for lunch.

Wa'il

Tinakaye
Thu, May-03-01, 19:57
Glad it was helpful, are you going to put it in your purse?? eheheh I have a cute beaded one you may like?

I can be pretty bad about not eating enough, so the shakes are a great way for me to get my protein requirements in to protect my lean muscle. And for me the more simple I keep things, the better off I am.

Quela, EVERYTHING but unprocessed meats and pure lard has some degree of carbs in it. Labels are legally allowed to mis-state the carbs in an item. If it has less then .5 they can say zero or if its more then .5 then they say < less then 1

Get a good carb counter book, I use Corinne Netzers
"the complete book of food counts" or you can check the database for amounts while your online.

HTH

agonycat
Thu, May-03-01, 20:56
See I knew I wasn't the only breakfast skipper here!

Thanks for all the input...you gals gave me some ideas on how I can behave and get my breakfast in without creating a mess in the kitchen or being late for work.

I take it no one thinks the weight is coming off too fast so I will keep my carb intake at around 20.

Stina
Fri, May-04-01, 10:07
I'm no expert but I can relate on the breakfast issue. Yuck. Still hate the thought of getting up and eating (yuck)....Anyhow, I eat at odd times of the day. Breakfast is around 10:30, lunch around 3 and dinner around 7-7:30. (Those times are approximate).

Anyhow, I make up a few packages of bacon twice a week. I then divide it into nice little ziplocs full and freeze it. The night before I thaw whatever I will be eating for breakfast (always bacon and some sort of egg). For you, why not make a little dish of egg salad up and put it in a container that you can just grab on your way to work. Throw a few slices of bacon on top and heat in a microwave. Or why not take a few slices of turkey/roast beef/chicken, add an ounce of cheese, some mayo and a few leaves of lettuce, and roll it all up, ziploc it and take it with you. then mid morning or whenever, you can eat. Lots of options out there. A couple hamburger patties is quick and convienient too.

I am to the point now that I do need to eat in the mornings. I used to go until mid-afternoon before I would eat. First time round on this WOL taught me how well that worked:-)

Anyhow, try and make yourself eat something small each morning. Gradually on this woe you will start to need breakfast. I am on day 6 now and by 10am I am startng to need energy (food).

Good luck:-)

Stina:)

nrussell
Fri, May-04-01, 10:55
I've been hating breakfast for a few weeks now as fatty stuff first thing makes me want to ...

I think I've solved the problem with the 'Banana Sour Cream' bread (recipe's floating around here somewhere). I have 2 slices buttered with coffee in the morning or mid morning depending on how I feel. Its quite light, more like a cake than a bread but because its full of nut flour and a certain amount of carbs, it has some staying power and I feel fine until lunch. It's also pretty portable.

Nicola

smokey
Thu, Jul-17-03, 13:37
My favorite breakfast, which is very fast and easy, is creamy ricotta covered with cream and then some splenda and cinnamon to taste. It's very addictive!